Akokala Lake

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Akokala Lake

Post by llholmes1948 »

From the Park Service campground availability website, I get the impression that Akokala Lake must be the most underutilized campground in the Park. It looks like there is plenty of space always available.

Is there something wrong with this place?

Thanks,
Lyman
balou44
Donator
Donator

Re: Akokala Lake

Post by balou44 »

[quote="llholmes1948"]

Is there something wrong with this place?

Not hardly. That whole NW corner of the park is very nice and somewhat under visited by most who travel to Glacier.
Maybe it's because you need to drive up The North Fork?
Maybe it's because Akokala Lake is not a through hike?
Maybe it's because the tree's obscure the views?
I don't know.

In this shot Akokala Lake is the tiny blue patch about 4 miles down the valley. And in the haze about 12/13 miles away is Polebridge.

Taken from the col between Peabody and Kintla above Agassiz Glacier.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Ear Mountain »

The hike in to Akokala Lake can be somewhat buggy in the summer but by mid August that should not be a problem. Fishing can be good in the lake especially if you bring a float tube. Shore fishing is also possible. There is one campsite that provides a great view onto the lake near the outlet. The others have less of a view. There is nothing wrong with the campsite except that it is at the end of the trail. It makes a great base for some climbs and is a very nice fall hike.

One day several years ago I hiked in to Akokala. The trail was a little muddy as it was in July. In that mud though I saw tracks from black bear, grizzly bear, mountain lion, and wolf. Lots of wildlife there and real peace and quiet.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

My thanks to Balou and Ear Mountain for the photo and the information on this campground. It looks like a great place to me! I have driven up the North Fork before but knew nothing about this trail or campground.

As has been noted I assume the lack of popularity of this campground is due to its location in the North Fork area and because it is on a dead-end trail. However it does surprise me (if I understand that backcountry campground availability site correctly) that virtually no reservations appear to have been made for this campground all summer. Perhaps I am misreading the site.

Lyman
pasqualli

Post by pasqualli »

You're probably not misreading the site, I think it gets little use. The lake itself is fairly nice. You can also hike a good deal around the lake for better views that what is available at the foot where the campsites are located. My guess is it being located in the North Fork, which is prohibitive by design, is what keeps people away. Those backpackers who do get up there want to get to Hole in the Wall, Boulder Pass, or to a lesser extent even Quartz Lake.

One other thing is the hike to the lake isn't anything special. The trail from either Bowman Lake or up Akokala Creek provides little "mountain" scenary both spending a good deal of time hiking through burn areas. The latter trail of course is infrequently traveled, being a low maintenance, blow down infested, slog.
Perry R

Re: Akokala Lake

Post by Perry R »

Akokala Lake really isn't anything special, unless you're a fisherman. But the reasons for why the area is so underused have already been stated.

Besides the drive out, why, if you make it there, would you go to Akokala Lake when you can go to Boulder Pass?

Return to “Camping”