Glenn's Lake Head vs. Glenn's Lake Foot

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

b_kloos88

Glenn's Lake Head vs. Glenn's Lake Foot

Post by b_kloos88 »

I asked this question under Dorf's post, but I thought maybe I'd get more visibility here, and hence, more responses. So which camp is nicer? Views, sites, wildlife and/or whatever else. Thanks in advance.
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Egads

Re: Glenn's Lake Head vs. Glenn's Lake Foot

Post by Egads »

Glenn's Lake Head campground is nice with 3 campsites. 2 are in a grassy area & 1 under the trees. All are located within feet of the beautiful lake.
grizzlyguy
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by grizzlyguy »

b_kloos88 wrote:"...which camp is nicer? Views, sites, wildlife and/or whatever else. ..."
Another advantage to staying at the head of the lake is the close proximity of Mokawanis lake. You are only 1 mile away from the prettiest waterfall in the park. It is unnamed and only visible from near the campsite. You can bushwack up to it from the lake. The head of the Glenns lake also has more open views of the lake than the foot does plus you can hear the stream as it enters the head of the lake. That sounds confusing because the campground at the head of the lake is not actually located on the exact head, but about 1/4 mile down.

--Sam T
ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Post by ND Sol »

grizzlyguy wrote: Another advantage to staying at the head of the lake is the close proximity of Mokawanis lake. You are only 1 mile away from the prettiest waterfall in the park. It is unnamed and only visible from near the campsite. You can bushwack up to it from the lake.
--Sam T
Is the waterfall nearer to the campground at Mokawanis Lake or at the head of Glenn's?
grizzlyguy

Post by grizzlyguy »

ND Sol wrote:
grizzlyguy wrote:
--Sam T
Is the waterfall nearer to the campground at Mokawanis Lake or at the head of Glenn's?
The waterfall is above Mokawanis lake.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Post by ND Sol »

grizzlyguy wrote:The waterfall is above Mokawanis lake.
Thanks. One of the nights on our permit is for Mokawanis Lake, so sounds like a little bushwacking is in order.
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

Well, now that I've been there, I can say I really like the head campground. It's perfect for dropping everything, laying out your thermarest in the little meadow and relaxing in the sun. As for the waterfall, I didn't remember seeing it from Glenn's Lake, but that's not saying you can't. We definently saw it from Mkowanis Lake, and we climbed, bushwhacked, and hiked up to the waterfall and Margaret Lake. Grizzly Guy--saying that waterfall is the prettiest in the park is like saying the ocean is big. I haven't seen even HALF of the waterfalls in the park, but I doubt this one could be beat. It is by FAR the most awesome waterfall I have ever seen. It was absolutely stunning. It was running really high, and I'm sure that's what made it so spectacular. We had to turn around about 1/2 mile into our adventure to put some pants on though. The stinging nettle were fierce. The climb up to Margaret Lake is amazing as well. It was steep, with a couple snow fields, and the views were incredible. Bear sign EVERYWHERE. The lake up there was the most beautiful place I've seen in the park, IMHO. Oh, and the lake was COLD. I jumped in...Also saw a lot of old bones everywhere, along with something that looked like a horn. It was about 5 inches long, tapering from about 2in in diameter to a point. It was quite old, as it was bleached dry. Interesting none-the-less. If you're debating whether or not to go see the water fall, just do it. I thought the part you can't see from the Mokowanis Lake, the bottom of the falls, was even more spectacular than the part you COULD see from camp.
Brian

ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Post by ND Sol »

b_kloos88 wrote:The climb up to Margaret Lake is amazing as well. It was steep, with a couple snow fields, and the views were incredible. Bear sign EVERYWHERE. The lake up there was the most beautiful place I've seen in the park, IMHO.
Looking at the map, it would appear that once you make the 600 ft. elevation gain to Margaret Lake, it is less than 100 ft. to Ipasha Lake. Are there any impediments and is it worth taking a look? It would appear to also be a pretty locale.
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

Yeah, it is not really uphill at all. However, it would take some bushwhacking, because there didn't seem to be any trails, and the brush was thick in spots. That was the only reason we didn't try and get over there, although, looking back I wish we would have tried. We had already hiked 10 miles to camp, then another 1-1.5 miles (not as the crow flies, and this is just a guess) to Margaret, so we were pretty spent. To be honest, I didn't have a detailed map of the area, and forget that the lake had a name, and didn't even know for sure there was even ANOTHER lake back in the farther cirque. After I came back, of course I remembered seeing there was 2 lakes, and both were named. An incredible spot to say the least...
Brian

missguinness
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by missguinness »

ND Sol wrote:
b_kloos88 wrote:The climb up to Margaret Lake is amazing as well. It was steep, with a couple snow fields, and the views were incredible. Bear sign EVERYWHERE. The lake up there was the most beautiful place I've seen in the park, IMHO.
Looking at the map, it would appear that once you make the 600 ft. elevation gain to Margaret Lake, it is less than 100 ft. to Ipasha Lake. Are there any impediments and is it worth taking a look? It would appear to also be a pretty locale.
We were at Margaret early July and saw MANY signs of bear digs. We did try to get to Ipasha. We went high, low, and middle area. No good trail to Ipasha. As the season goes on, you may be able to go in the water around the edge to a little beachy area that leads to a drainage. We had a GPS and our trail showed us crisscrossing our trail in trying to get to Ipasha. Just when we thought we had a trail, it petered out. Margaret is one of our favorite places in the park. Did you take the drainage ditch up from the creek to get to Margaret?
grizzlyguy wrote:You are only 1 mile away from the prettiest waterfall in the park. It is unnamed and only visible from near the campsite. --Sam T
Sam, we thought the waterfalls were unnamed also, but with the GPS program we bought, it calls those falls Pyramid Falls. It would make sense since the creek is called Pyramid Creek. I don't know if the name is right. I kinda liked the thought that one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the park was unnamed.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo

Return to “Camping”