Late Sept

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Late Sept

Post by Jay w »

How shut down is the park in late Sept?

I'm thinking about a late Sept trip...9/16 - 9/27...I have a local commitment 9/13-14. I read that Many Glacier closed down camping around the 22nd last year (primitive camping after that), so I'm wondering what to expect. Mainly I'm concerned about getting some restaurant food and an occasional shower. I could probably filter water and deal with an outhouse. If the weather turns cold and rainy, it would be nice to retreat to someplace inside such as a lodge lobby. I'm not looking for any backcountry camping. I'd probably be interesting in Many Glacier, Two Med, and Avalanch (MacDon Lodge) areas.

Ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Late Sept

Post by toddnick »

This site gives the seasonal dates for each of the campgrounds. Just click on the campground of your choice and it will give you details.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... status.cfm
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

It was informative to find out that Avalanche closes early (9/2) and doesn't offer primative camping. I expected that to stay open longer, although Apgar is open longer. It looks like the St Mary KOA is open through the end of Sept, so that's a choice for shower. I assume that the Swiftcurrent restaurant closes 9/14 with the hotel/motor inn, although MG Lodge is open until 9/22. Two Sisters web site say they're open in Sept, whatever that means...hopefully Sept 30th and not Sept 15th.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
J.Peter
Donator
Donator

Post by J.Peter »

Two Sisters will be closed by the time that you get there.
I am afraid that your best bet will be to camp at the KOA in St Mary. Considering that the camps within the Park will be closed the KOA is not a bad option. At least they have showers.
Places to eat on the East side will be slim to none.
I have been in the Park quite a few years at that time of year and it is lovely but it will be Starting winter in the higher elevations so be prepared.
Occasionally I have gone and stayed over on the West side because there are lots of sleeping and eating options over there.
Last year the GTTS road was already closed at that time.

Return to “Camping”