weather in september

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

clivusmultrum

weather in september

Post by clivusmultrum »

I am planning a trip to GNP for late summer/early fall. I was originally going to come the third week in August, but now I am thinking of the middle of September perhaps for easier access to backcountry sites. What type of weather can I expect in mid September in the park? I realize that things can change quickly at elevation but when does the first serious snow of the season usually arrive? I'm sure that it will be less crowded in Sept compared to Aug. Thanks.
Clivus

:arrow:

(Dancing Banana is a distracting little bugger.)
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: weather in september

Post by Ear Mountain »

Mid September can be very nice or NOT. our first winter type storm often comes around the end of August or early September. After a period of unsettled weather with an unknown duration the weather often turns sunny and clear with warm days and cool to cold nights. It's impossible to tell exactly when that transition comes. So be flexible with your plans. Remember most visitor facilities are closing by mid September and you are right that things are a lot less crowded. Backcountry permits get much easier to obtain. But most flowers are done and the previous winter's snow is all gone. So if it is cloudy and overcast everything might have a little drab appearance. Still it's one of my favorite times of the year for backpacking. It's right up there with May, June, July and August. :mrgreen:
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Kathy »

I'll second what Ralph said...September - expect anything. Backpacked September '06....incredibly beautiful weather! - Bright, sunny and warm! September of '05, I believe it was....early snow drove many out of the back-country. (We picked up a father and son who had cut their backcountry trip short and just wanted to get dry and warm.)

You're right on the backcountry permits being easier to get and the crowds less...I, personally, love September in the Park.

(And dancing banana man is just plain fun, don't you think??? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by calicotraveler »

We were in Glacier in late August/early September in 2002 and it was VERY nice in Glacier. Sunny skies and less people than in June, July, and early August. We liked it so well that we returned the same time in 2003 only to be greeted by wildfires! It had been so dry that year that there were in many places in the park burning. However, we played it by ear and just went to a part of the park each day where the smoke was less.....You never know what you'll find at that time of year but there will likely be some part of the park where things are fine. Just go whenever you can! Glacier is a wonderful place. :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Return to “Weather”