Gable Creek BC Site

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

b_kloos88

Gable Creek BC Site

Post by b_kloos88 »

What is this site like? How's the scenery? If you've been there, tell me about it. Thanks.
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
sj in cal
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Gable Creek BC Site

Post by sj in cal »

I've walked by the spur trail, although I haven't been in the campsite itself. The views from the Belly River Valley are relaxing and always get me excited about what's to come.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

No matter which route you do to get to Gable Creek you will see some magnificent scenery. The camp itself is in a protected pocket of forest but the Belly River is close by and Gable Creek is there as well. A short walk from the camp will provide a spectacular spot to watch the sunset. Also it is only a short hike across the Belly River to Gros-Ventre Falls. If you are not hiking up the Mokowanis Valley consider the evening walk to the falls.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
b_kloos88

Post by b_kloos88 »

Ear Mtn-- So if you were to pick, would you stay at Cosley Lake, or Gable Creek?
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Given that choice I would pick Cossley Lake. Cossley Lake is often a hard site to get though and Gable Creek would be a good second choice.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Gable Creek campground is about 1/4 mile off the Belly River trail just before reaching the Belly River Ranger Station. The site is about seven miles from the Chief Mountain Customs Station. The site is largely wooded and near Gable Creek so one hears rushing water from the campground. The site is not spectatular but certainly adequate. Given the choice and without other considerations I would pick Cosley Lake over Gable Creek because of the scenery and location.

At the time we made a campsite reservation in 2005, Gable Creek was our only choice. It also served our purpose well in that it was a relatively easy backpack with plenty of opportunities to do additional hiking beyond the campsite.

If you stay at Gable Creek, hike in early, set up camp and then hike either to Cosley Lake and beyond or to Elizabeth Lake. Or check out the Bear Mountain trail.

Return to “Camping”