What's September like in Glacier?

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

rodgifier
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

What's September like in Glacier?

Post by rodgifier »

I was wondering what Sept. is like in Glacier...My girlfriend and I were originally planning on going backpacking in GNP in early August, but after doing some more research on permits and backcountry campsite availability I realize now that Glacier is hit pretty hard with requests for July and August. To us, August is no more convenient than September. I want to do Boulder Pass, or Chief Mtn. to Gaunt Haunt via Cosley and Stoney Indian, and I realize these are pretty popular...

Is there much difference in weather from August to September, especially at higher campsites like Hole in the Wall and Stoney Indian? How is Labor Day weekend in Glacier?

I think I am starting to answer my own questions, but any insight about September would help me better plan my trip.

thanks!

Mark
karatenorth
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: What's September like in Glacier?

Post by karatenorth »

When I was out there in late August/early September 2006, it sleeted, snowed, downpoured then all that moved out and it was warm around 80. One night out there it was about 40-45 at Hole in the Wall as a low while it was 29 in the Bowman Valley. Last year a few sprinkles one night and comfortable temps around 70 every day. It was also cloudier than other years I have visited around the same time on the calender. As a rule, generally the weather should be decent enough in September, but it can snow at any time and the weather can change with little or no notice.
dorf

Post by dorf »

Late August/Early September is primo. I was there Labor Day 2005. Some services begin to shut down but the weather was great and no bugs. Go for it, but be prepared to get snowed on at least once at higher elevations.
So many mountains, so little time.
Cowboy
Donator
Donator

Post by Cowboy »

My wife and I were there first week in September (no camping). The weather was great, there were no bugs, and from what I'm told less crowds as well. On the other hand there was no snow, the waterfalls, streams were pretty dry and the wildflowers weren't in bloom. Next time I go I would like to go earlier in the season.
Bruce
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Bruce »

My two cents: I visited the second week of September. Yes the rivers were low and the wildflowers were gone, BUT, the air was so fresh, pine scent in the air, temps were great for hiking, snow in the upper elevations, some of the trees were turning colors.... ...but as stated earlier some of the services shut down the Monday following labor day. I'm going in July this year, but I'm also thinking of maybe visiting again in September. It was absolutely beautiful... :arrow:

Return to “Weather”