Ideas for 6 Backcountry Nights

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

b_kloos88

Ideas for 6 Backcountry Nights

Post by b_kloos88 »

Does anyone have any good 6 night itineraries? We'll only have one car, so we'd probably need a shuttle or a loop somewhere. The less people, more scenic, and more wildlife the better. (of course :D )
Brian

"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness."
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Ideas for 6 Backcountry Nights

Post by Hockey Ref »

The Northern Traverse comes to mind for a six-night BC trip. Starts at the Chief Mountain Customs station and exits at Kintla Lake. Or you can start at Many Glacier via the Ptarmigan Tunnel. No matter where you start, however, this isn't a loop hike, so transportation at either end can be an issue.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
MaKol

Post by MaKol »

b_kloos88 wrote:Does anyone have any good 6 night itineraries? We'll only have one car, so we'd probably need a shuttle or a loop somewhere. The less people, more scenic, and more wildlife the better. (of course :D )
If you're up for it, the hike that I went on this past September was awesome. We didn't have a vehicle so we tried to get somewhat of a loop. We had a shuttle drop us off in Polebridge and then hitchhiked to Kintla where we began our hike. We got a late start and had to stay at Lower Kintla instead of Upper Kintla. From there, we made camp at Hole in the Wall (very scenic and remote) then stayed at Waterton, Kootenai and Fifty Mountain. Fifty Mountain was also pretty cool with the option to hike up and get some awesome views. The final night we stayed at Granite Park and then hiked to the Going to the Sun Road the next morning and hitchhiked our way to Apgar where our shuttle picked us up and brought us back to the airport. I highly recommend it! We saw a couple of black bears (heard stories of the errant grizzly near Boulder), mountain goats, and quite a few mule deer (especially at FIF) among other critters. If you want more info, just ask.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

In general order of my preference…
1. Makol’s suggestion, although I would suggest the reverse route. I suspect it’s easier to hitch a ride at the Kintla campground before people are flying down the road, especially if the campground ranger is the same guy as last summer.

2. Of course the Northern Loop

3. Enter at Packers Roost, and then FIF, GRN, MAN, REY, ELL, and out. I was actually given this route one year, but changed it at the backcountry permit office…only to be snowed out on day 2.

4. Two Medicine to Many Glacier can be done as essentially a loop with the shuttles, either direction
J.Peter
Donator
Donator

Post by J.Peter »

You might consider the Belly River area.
Leave your car at the Chief Mtn. customs trailhead.
Hike into the Belly River Ranger station campground. Put your tent (and heavy pack) there and finish your hike over to Elizabeth Lake or at least up the river a ways to the falls. Return to your campsite at the ranger station campground.
The Next day get up to the Head of Glens lake and make your base camp there. You can do a lovely evening hike up to Mokawanis Lake (without your heavy pack). Or fish a bit or hit the sack early getting rested for tomorrow.
The next day is your really cool day. You can Day Hike up to Stoney Indian Pass ( without your heavy pack). Return to your base camp at Glens. You will be tired but that day trip is spectacular.
Spend one or two days hiking back out to your car. There are lots of little interesting side trips which you should save for the return trip.
The only people you will see are those who have a camping permit for that area - which is not very many.
No vehicle shuttle means that you can modify your plans just a bit to suit your situations. You can return a day early if you like etc.
Several years ago my wife and I did just that trip and loved it.
I have a few routine obligatory gorgeous Glacier NP photos from that trip (lol) . If you want to see them just PM me and I will send them.

Return to “Camping”