Red Eagle Lake campground as a base-camp?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

MattB

Red Eagle Lake campground as a base-camp?

Post by MattB »

I'm looking for a backcountry site to use as a base-camp for 2-3 days of day hikes, what I had in mind was something about 6-10 miles in, not too much elevation gain, and that had at least a couple nice day hikes in the area. Red Eagle Lake from St.Mary's seemed like a good candidate, anyone have any thoughts on the Red Eagle Lake trail, campgrounds or area?

Few options

Post by Guest »

Used as a base camp, Red Eagle Lake offers few day hike options. There is no trail network branching out from there. The only trail from the lake itself heads up to Triple Divide Pass. Otherwise, the only option is to return the way you came in.

There is a trail that braches off from the Red Eagle Lake trail about halfway to the lake and follows the south shore of St. Mary Lake. It ends up at the St. Mary Falls/Virginia Falls trailhead on the GTTS Road. But this trail is poorly maintained, is mostly through the forest, and provides minimal views.

Hockey Ref
MattB

RE: Red Eagle Lake as a base camp

Post by MattB »

Great! Thanks for the info. I could kind of tell that from the trail maps but was looking for some first hand experience.

My primary target for a base-camp idea is the CoselyLake, Glenns Lake area hiking in from the Belly River entrance, which I think should make a pretty good base camp and have a pretty good variety of day-hike possibilities.

But I was just wondering about other possibilities around the Park and thats what triggered my interest in Red Eagle Lake Trail.

thanks again!
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by dorf »

Agree with hockeyref. Cosley wouldn't be too bad. There's the Bear Mtn. overlook, Dawn Mist Falls (on the way to Elizabeth lake) and mokowanis Lake. Kind of far to get up to Stoney Indian Pass, but could be easily done from Glenns lake. Unless i've been missing something there aren't a lot of basecamp options in Glacier.
So many mountains, so little time.

Return to “Hiking”