Backpacking Stove

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

GSLgal
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Backpacking Stove

Post by GSLgal »

I remember from the old page a frequent poster offering stoves he makes himself for sale. Can't remember who it was. Does anyone recall and/or have experience with said stoves? Or anyone use one they really recommend? Trying to make the leap from day hiker to back packer :? - Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
theFERN

Post by theFERN »

I cannot remember the name of the poster either, but it was an alcohol stove made from a coke or tuna can that he(?) machined himself. I think the individual was selling them on ebay. Alcohol stoves are very popular with the ultra-lite crowd and also because fuel is available anywhere.
Dave Parker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Dave Parker »

I think it was Bill In MT that sells them, if you go to ebay and search for backpacking stoves, he used to sell on there all the time.

Dave
dorf

Post by dorf »

Or you can make one yourself for free. All you need is a push pin, 2 empty cans and a kitchen scissors. Oh, and some Perlite. Instructions abound on the web. Might take you a few tries, but it's a project you won't mind investing a little time on.
So many mountains, so little time.
Dave Parker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Dave Parker »

Okay, here is the link to his auctions on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/BACKPACKING-COOK-ST ... dZViewItem

Took a bit to find, but I would rather spend $9.95(including shipping) with Bill than some of the other prices people think they can get!!!!

Dave
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Backpacking Stove

Post by mattB »

GSLgal wrote:I remember from the old page a frequent poster offering stoves he makes himself for sale. Can't remember who it was. Does anyone recall and/or have experience with said stoves? Or anyone use one they really recommend? Trying to make the leap from day hiker to back packer :? - Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
I bought a couple of them a year or so ago off ebay from a guy raising money for his Boy Scout troop. They're cool, and really light. And I bought some denatured alcohol in the Paint Section at Home Depot.

They're fun, BUT I don't think I'd recommend them for someone trying to make the leap to backpacker. There's no ON or OFF, you pour a little fuel into it and light it and it burns until the fuel is gone. And there's no way to regulate how high the flame is. I think there are a lot of other options that are almost as simple but with lots more useful and handy features, and aren't really that much heavier. Seems like the small butane stoves might be a good option. I have a primus yellowstone that I like pretty well.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

I agree with Matt that these type of stoves are not the best choice for backpacking.I've been using a MSR Pocket Rocket for two years. It weighs only a few ounces yet will boil a liter of water in under 4 minutes and costs under $ 40. One fuels canister lasts about 6 to 7 days if you are boiling a little over 2 liters a day. There are other similar models that also work well.
GSLgal

Post by GSLgal »

Thanks guys - really appreciate the info.
rjm

everclear

Post by rjm »

I bought one from Bill in MT last year. It seems to work ok on my porch, but i havn't tried it in the field yet. Took it along once, didn't use it.
I've heard they're popular on the Appalachian Trail.
I've also heard that if you use Everclear instead of denatured then you can also drink it and use it as an antiseptic. At a mere $24/quart it's pretty steep, but perhaps an insignificant percentage of the whole trip. Imagine the looks you'd get pouring a slug into your cool-aid and stove together.
All very amusing, but i'm still using my old Svea 123. I think it cost me $9.95 new.
Squilax

stoves

Post by Squilax »

I've used a Primus Yellowstone Lite (canister stove) for the past 4 years. It's great and worked in Glacier and at higher elevations in Wyoming, too.

Burns Isobutane.

Return to “Camping”