2024 Lottery Results

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

What's your date?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 pm

Week of March 21
20%
Week of March 28
10%
Week of April 4
10%
Week of April 11
10%
Week of April 18
5%
Week of April 25
10%
Unsuccessful
35%

Total votes: 20

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2024 Lottery Results

Post by Ear Mountain »

paul wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:29 pm I think your math is wrong. It should be around 15 per time shot.
3000 permits/ 40 days/ 5 slots a day =15
I stand corrected. Thanks. I edited my original post.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

Ear Mountain wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:54 am
Sue Z wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 am

I don't think there will much scalping going on. I think most backpackers aren't really interested in that sort of thing. I think some the people accepted will not get permits because some one in their group already got a permit with better options, some will get them and use them for another trip, and some will get them and transfer them to friends. You can transfer permits by calling up the BC office. I've done that myself.

Paul
I didn't know that you could transfer a reservation! I thought that if the person whose name is on the res couldn't go, you had to forfeit the group reservation.
I had a permit reservation under an older system but due to illness wasn't able to do the trip. I was able to transfer the trip to another member of the party whose name was already on the reservation.

If I recall correctly last year you could name an alternate Trip Leader on the reservation . The alternate could pick up the permit and/or make online modifications. The alternate had to be identified at the time of first making the reservation and could not be added later.
Thanks! That's great to know.
Sue Z
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Well, I was unsuccessful in the North Cascades lottery. I guess that's okay because at least I have glacier.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Paul wrote:

Well, I was unsuccessful in the North Cascades lottery.
Same here. I guess the new style is to try several things and see what comes up. I’m 2 of 4 so far this spring.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I haven’t followed the permit process. Is it essentially 100% reservable now? I would think that would put a crimp on the through hikers that didn’t get a permit (or one that fits their goals).

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Jay w wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:57 am I haven’t followed the permit process. Is it essentially 100% reservable now? I would think that would put a crimp on the through hikers that didn’t get a permit (or one that fits their goals).

Jay
At the moment, the lottery winners get to pick based on their time slots that they were awarded for the next few weeks. Then after that, I think it opens back up for a free for all on May 1st, though it could be picked through pretty good by then, but hard to say. And there’s always cancellations from time to time too.

For through hikers, yea. It could make it tricky, though I would bet it was kinda tricky for them before but I’m sure the lottery may not have helped them there unless they won an early selection perhaps. It would seem you’d need to plan pretty well through there with some luck built in to get spots. It’ll be interest to see how it all shakes out.

Edit: also 1/3 are left for walk up, so that’s something.

Cheers!
Kyle
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

zozeppelin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:16 am So it looks like they’ve locked out viewing availability unless you had a successful lottery application. Not sure if that also includes if you check before your scheduled time.

Working on a solution.
I'll be glad to check your route for you.
Sue Z
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Sue Z wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:09 am
zozeppelin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:16 am So it looks like they’ve locked out viewing availability unless you had a successful lottery application. Not sure if that also includes if you check before your scheduled time. Working on a solution.
I have an April 21 date in the lottery. I have logged on several times already. I can enter a start date, number in my party, and the starting area. Once I do that I can see what is still available for the dates I'm interested in. I can actually put together an itinerary. The only thing I can't do is book the itinerary as my start time is still in the future. So as your start time approaches the ability to view availability is a great planning tool.
Ralph
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

zozeppelin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:16 am So it looks like they’ve locked out viewing availability unless you had a successful lottery application. Not sure if that also includes if you check before your scheduled time.

Working on a solution.
Thanks Sue, I think I have it figured out now, just a matter of making it pretty.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Ear Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:48 am
zozeppelin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:16 am So it looks like they’ve locked out viewing availability unless you had a successful lottery application. Not sure if that also includes if you check before your scheduled time. Working on a solution.
I have an April 21 date in the lottery. I have logged on several time already. I can enter a start date, number in my party, and the starting area. Once I do that I can see what still available for the dates I'm interested in. I can actually put together an itinerary. The only thing I can't do is book the itinerary as my start time is still in the future. So as your start time approaches the ability to view availability is a great planning tool.
Ralph
That is good to know those who won the lottery can see the availability in advance of their time slot. For those that didn’t win or didn’t apply, you can’t, which is pretty ridiculous from my perspective.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I think the reasoning behind that is they might not want extra traffic on the page while people are selecting their permits. If they did that then you could have significantly more traffic which might cause people to not be able to get in their selection. One of the reasons for the lottery was because there was too much activity on the page causing delays and frustration.

Hopefully come April 30th they will open it up again so that those looking for permits the next day can preview what is left.

I plan on logging in the night before my spot opens up so I can gauge what my options are. I don't want to go there to early because I know I will be disappointed as spots get taken.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Am I the first one here to secure a permit?

My permit time was 3:00 pm today, and I picked up BOW HOL BOU BOW in mid August.

I’ve never been to BOW but have stayed at HOL and been through Boulder Pass as part of our Northern Traverse in 2018. Looking forward to passing through the HOL BOU area twice in one trip.

:arrow:
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

teapot57 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 pm Am I the first one here to secure a permit?

My permit time was 3:00 pm today, and I picked up BOW HOL BOU BOW in mid August.

I’ve never been to BOW but have stayed at HOL and been through Boulder Pass as part of our Northern Traverse in 2018. Looking forward to passing through the HOL BOU area twice in one trip.

That's great! Boulder is my all-time fave. Happy for you. All my best!
Sue Z
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

teapot57 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 pm Am I the first one here to secure a permit?

Nice permit! Congrats
Ipasha Jen

Post by Ipasha Jen »

I bow down to Teapot, the almighty permit queen!
This trip is going to be epic! Let’s gooooo!

Return to “Backcountry Permits”