Bear Spray across the boarder

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Bear Spray across the boarder

Post by Jay w »

As far as I know, bringing bear spray from Canada to the US is not problem. I thought it was a problem bringing it from the US to Canada because we were flagged but able to sign a form and pick it up later when we went back to the US. (This was a while ago and may have been pepper spray.)

I saw this on Facebook and it sounded like the guy had knowledge:

Canadian Customs will allow bear spray approved by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) to enter Canada. Bear repellents are not considered prohibited in Canada, but the specifications state that the bear spray must bear USEPA on the label. However, bear bangers (with explosive) are currently not permitted. Just an FYI.

I also saw there is a "sharing shack" for coolers, bear spray, etc. Located just east of highway 206 and Highway 2 in Columbia Falls.

Jay

Currently 98F.
Attachments
SharingShack.jpg
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
fmcdonald
Gender?: Female

Re: Bear Spray across the boarder

Post by fmcdonald »

I have used the Sharing Shack the last two times I have been to Glacier. I was able to borrow bear spray, bug repellant, and paper towels. People also leave lots of other items - sodas, beer, hiking poles, coolers, and other food items. It's in Columbia Falls and was established to honor Mia Totten who loved Glacier and was always willing to take folks into the park.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Jay,
I've taken bear spray across the border, both directions, without a problem. I do tell the border guard I have it, and it is in sight, where the guard can see it. It must be of an approved type, but basically the 2(?) main producers are fine.

Pepper spray is considered a weapon and cannot be carried across the border.
Canada doesn't want CBD to cross the border, though I have heard it is readily available in Banff. Different provinces have different regs (I gather).

Lots of good hiking and backpacking to enjoy in the Canadian Rockies!
If you are exploring new places, you might enjoy the Backcountry Post site and ClubTread. For (mostly) Washington state, NWHikers.net.

From the US Customs and Border Protection site (cbp.gov):
Bear spray is permitted in the United States when crossing the land border. Canadian Customs will allow bear spray approved by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) to enter Canada.
Jun 21, 2023
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by sbosecker »

Jay w wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:01 pm
I also saw there is a "sharing shack" for coolers, bear spray, etc. Located just east of highway 206 and Highway 2 in Columbia Falls.

Jay

Currently 98F.
Jay,

Thanks for posting about the "Sharing Shack". I often have fuel left in my stove canister. This might be a good place to leave that rather than burn it until it's empty it into the air and throw it away.

Best regards,

Scott
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I recently made two round trips across the US-Canada border. While I was asked numerous questions no one asked whether I had bear spray.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I was asked about bear spray when I crossed the boarder this summer. I won't comment on my answer. :D

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey there Jay.

We just walked into Canada a few days ago at the Chief Mountain crossing with bear spray we picked up at the sharing shack. No problems at all. They said it was just fine. We brought it back on the boat at Waterton using the CBP Roam app to cross back into the US at Goat Haunt. Also no problem. 👍

We’ll drop the bear spray back off at the sharing shack on our way out tomorrow. Probably along with some beer as well.

Cheers!

Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I cross the border all the time and have never had an issue with bear spray. I don’t think they’ve ever even asked me if I have it, and I always tell them when I’m coming down or going back from a hiking or backpacking trip.

As for CBD, cannabis products are legal here in Canada, but you can’t cross the border with any cannabis products, even if they are medically prescribed. I don’t know why . . . I guess they want you to buy it here. It’s available at every other strip mall, it seems.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”