Moving To Florida Spring 2022

This area is for discussions about what ever, personal chats are okay in this section, so if you have something you want to talk about that is non-park related, feel free to talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Moving To Florida Spring 2022

Post by PeteE »

I'm having a devil of a time posting and sometimes logging in. Last time I made one post and ten got the "Server error" crap.

THANK YOU for the tips. I kinda figured out that mashed potatoes, white rice, eggs, and lean meat, rotisserie chicken(skin off) seemed to be ok. I don't eat corn too much. Broccoli, spinach and carrots are fave vegetables. Like Sweet potatoes too. Love onions and garlic but not sure about them. Anything you can help with is much appreciated.
Who knows, I may get up to SC after I move back to FL. :) Or if y'all go to FL, let me know.
I'll get on the gluten thing. I know several people here who are on gluten free diets.
Thanks
pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Pete,

I thihk you are making a good decision. Family is important. And I certainly recognize that Glaicer and the Flathead Valley have changed in recent years. I,too, am afraid the causual, unplanned trip to the park may no longer be possible.

I will miss your pictures and reports on Glacier. You gave us a chance to see what the park looked like when we could not be there, especially in the winter. I enjoyed the chances we had to hike together. I will always remember that incredible wind we had above Appikuni Falls in Septemberr 2017 and hiking in the snow on Glacier View Mountain in November 2017.

Florida is very different but also a great place for photographing wildlife and scenery. There is not much for mountains but lots of water. I will always remember a sign along the highway in Evergaglades National Park that reads "Rock Reef Pass 3 feet".

So enjoy this winter in the Flathead, good luck with the G-I issues and I look forward to seeing pictures from Florida.

Bill
Last edited by MarxMN on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Pete

Some info on the gluten free diet:
Bread is difficult. Until recently most of the bread I have tried was universally cardboardy. Then I saw a bread called Shar Artisan bread at Walmart. It is the best I've tried. Some GF bread is located in the freezer section in the grocery stores. I don't know if this is available in Kalispell Walmart.

Pasta: there are several brands of pasta in grocery stores and they have all been good. Thai rice noodles are gluten free too.
Krusteaz brand makes a GF pancake mix which is really good. At Walmart again.

Flour: the best I've found is King Arthur measure for measure flour (I use this for breading things or making things that the leavening is baking powder).
Bread crumbs: at Amazon and in some grocery stores.

Corn chips, potato chips and popcorn are all gluten free.

Beer: it has gluten in it. :( However there is a place downtown Kalispell that makes a gluten free beer. It's the first I've seen anywhere.

Pizza: recently I have discovered a pizza with a cauliflower crust. (You prolly say YUCK to this). However give it a try. Kalispell has it at one of their pizza places as we had some while we were there. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the pizza place. Here in the east there is a very delicious pizza (also with a cauliflower crust) found at Aldi in the refrigerated section. Aldi is not in the west yet but you could look for it when you move to FL. I know Lakeland has an Aldi.

Kalispell also has a bakery that makes gluten free things.

Hope this helps!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Thanks heaps.
Hope this post makes it on. Thanks to Carol and Bill too.
Pete
From phone

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

My trip to Europe is OFF.
Don't ask why because the whole experience with outfits like Expedia and Jet Blue pisses me off way too much.
Does anyone speak understandable English anymore? Does a customer ever get to speak to an actual human being anymore?
This country is going straight to hell, and deservedly so.
I'll be glad to get back to Florida where I can be AWAY from people and spend time with my camera and the critters.
The ticks and Mosquitoes are better company than most people.

George Carlin
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Pete, As for Aldi. There is one in Winter Haven. Been there a few years.
TamandKev

Post by TamandKev »

Hi Pete,
We wish you the best on your move. Family is important and we understand your decision as we moved closer to our kids and grandkids one year ago. It sounds like you have a plan for more adventures after you get settled. I will look forward to your report and pictures.
Thank you for all your contributions and advice about GNP. Your pictures, videos and honest posts helped us plan so many trips to Glacier. To us your were a local GNP celebrity :arrow: :arrow: You inspired us to hike Dragons Tail. One of our all time favorite hikes. :D In 2020 we ended up with the 3 same nights as you at the Granite Park Chalet, along with our new friend Craig. What a great time we had hiking with you to Ahern pass and watching a grizzly and 3 Cubs down in the valley. It was so much fun to visit with and hike with you. We sure enjoyed it. :arrow: :arrow:
You are right GNP has been so challenging the past few years. It continues to grow more challenging, and yet it will always be a special part of our life. We have often said planning for trips, training for hikes and actually hiking the trails has been good therapy. We’ve hiked off lots of hurts and stress over the years. God created this beautiful place that has brought us so much enjoyment over 20 years.
Seasons of life change and even though that’s tough sometimes, it’s also ok. I hope we can keep in touch. If you are ever in Missouri we would love to see you. God Bless You and your new adventure.

Tammy and Kevin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

TamandKev wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:46 pm Hi Pete,
We wish you the best on your move. Family is important and we understand your decision as we moved closer to our kids and grandkids one year ago. It sounds like you have a plan for more adventures after you get settled. I will look forward to your report and pictures.
Thank you for all your contributions and advice about GNP. Your pictures, videos and honest posts helped us plan so many trips to Glacier. To us your were a local GNP celebrity :arrow: :arrow: You inspired us to hike Dragons Tail. One of our all time favorite hikes. :D In 2020 we ended up with the 3 same nights as you at the Granite Park Chalet, along with our new friend Craig. What a great time we had hiking with you to Ahern pass and watching a grizzly and 3 Cubs down in the valley. It was so much fun to visit with and hike with you. We sure enjoyed it. :arrow: :arrow:
You are right GNP has been so challenging the past few years. It continues to grow more challenging, and yet it will always be a special part of our life. We have often said planning for trips, training for hikes and actually hiking the trails has been good therapy. We’ve hiked off lots of hurts and stress over the years. God created this beautiful place that has brought us so much enjoyment over 20 years.
Seasons of life change and even though that’s tough sometimes, it’s also ok. I hope we can keep in touch. If you are ever in Missouri we would love to see you. God Bless You and your new adventure.

Tammy and Kevin
Thank you for all your support Kev and Tammy. That stay at Granite park chalet with you and Craig was one of the highlights of my trips to GNP.
Lots of fun and I made some of my best images on that trip! :)
I guess it's true that "all good things come to an end".

That said, I'm excited about my return to Florida and exploring and photographing places I remember from my early years there.
Florida has changed considerably since I left in 1968. I've seen small parts of it on my infrequent visits back over the last 50 years.
There are still places to go that haven't been screwed up. My niece's husband, a retired Army Ranger, tells me that all of Florida hasn't been ruined, just a lot of it LOLOL! His family are 5th generation Floridians! His grandfather, and back, were commercial fisherman before Florida became a state in the 1840's. He has a nice center console fishing boat I'm sure we'll find some places to go. :) He knows the Tampa Bay area like his back yard--which it was for him growing up near DeSoto Park in West Bradenton FL.

I found out that Florida has many miles of trails throughout the state. My late bother-in-law's brother has lived in Winter Haven where we all grew up all his life. He as well as a few of my childhood friends know all sorts of people who own property around the state. So I doubt I'll lack for places to go for photography, OR :) :) HUNTING for all those invasive species that the state would like to have eradicated(killed).
Young feral piglets are really good eating! The skins of those pythons can be sold as well. Same with some of the big lizards.
I doubt I'll be bored as long as I remain healthy 8)
And I'm looking forward to do some traveling. I already have a plane ticket to Kiev Ukraine. I'll be visiting my Ukrainian family(I'm pretty sure they speak passable English). I'll also be doing trips to neighboring Eastern European countries. I bought a really cool Osprey backpack, the 46 liter "Porter". The design of the hide-away shoulder straps and waist belt is very clever. It fits well and very comfortable on my back. It's small enough to carry on. Going to be fun figuring out what to take to live 6+ weeks out of it! 8)
So plenty to look forward to.
Thanks again to you and everyone for all the kind words and support over the last 10 years!

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Hello everyone:

Like a "bad penny", I'm back thanks to David Wayne and the new chat owner Kyle Sands.
Kyle!! Miracle of miracles, my old password worked!
Thank you guys so much.
Dunno where to begin.

I am living with my sister in Winter Haven Florida.
She gas a beautiful house on an acre of land just outside of town.
I have my own bedroom downstairs with a full bath. My old beater is in one of two spots in the garage.
Nice neighbors. We are on a culdesac so no traffic. I generally still walk 3-6 miles every morning when at home. 16-17 minute miles. When i left it was already high 70's at dawn and humidity would often be 70% (((
The biggest surprise/adjustment is ALL THE F'IN PEOPLE AND TRAFFIC!!!!!
Polk County is in the top 5 fastest growing counties in AMERICA.
Polk County has the best Sheriff in the nation. Check him out on YouTube
Grady Judd. His videos are great. You do NOT want to mess with his deputies, especially shoot at them...because as Sheriff grady says, "they'll shoot back, and they'll shoot a LOT."
But, it is what it is. Vicki has 2 generators for hurricane prep and has used them several times in the past.
The hiking opportunities suck in this area. And not much better elsewhere imo.
I do some car camping at State parks which are quite good in FL. GOOD reservation system and parks I've stayed at are well maintained. LOVE Anastasia State park in St Augustine. Got 5 nights there 1st week in November after i get back home. Super beach location. Be advised, the state parks are nice but fill up quickly, especially the RV sites. I do tent camping.

later and THANKS again to David and Kyle
Last edited by PeteE on Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Carlin
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey Pete! Welcome back. Stay safe!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

So glad to see you back Pete! Enjoyed your newsy update. :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

Welcome back, Pete!

Return to “Non Park Specific Topics”