2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Post by calicotraveler »

I saw the raven link that you posted. And from what you said it sounds like it really is Bonnie and Clyde! And I believe that they make you happy... wonder where Clyde was hanging out all that time? Sounds like last time you saw Bonnie some other bird was trying to cut her out of the herd. (Or rather flock). The birds will think they died and went to heaven when you bring them the beef heart! :arrow:
The mountains are calling and I must go.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Its unreal how they follow you down the road! Surely it has to be B & C :!: 8)
Can only imagine the response to your beef heart...musta been fun.

Those pics of avalanche gorge are BEAUTIFUL!!! That Blue-Green WATER. :mrgreen:
One of those would make a fine calender entry, i.m.o. I certainly hope Mr. Lincoln made your cut for the calender...he's prolly my all time fave.
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

calicotraveler wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 am I saw the raven link that you posted. And from what you said it sounds like it really is Bonnie and Clyde! And I believe that they make you happy... wonder where Clyde was hanging out all that time? Sounds like last time you saw Bonnie some other bird was trying to cut her out of the herd. (Or rather flock). The birds will think they died and went to heaven when you bring them the beef heart! :arrow:
Hi Michele and Tammy:
I have no idea where they have been, especially Clyde who I haven't seen since June 2020.
I saw Bonnie in late 2020 when another raven was following her around.
This year I didn't spend much time in the park. They could have been around, but I typically don't look for them in the summer when it's busy.

Yesterday I went back with a 1.7lb pack of beef heart.
I saw what I thought was Clyde, but turned out to be Bonnie alone at the far end of the lot.
And she followed me around to where I usually park, but she sat in up in a tree watching me.
She would not come down for meat! After a few minutes she gave a series of loud calls.
That's when I thought this was probably Bonnie...and she was calling Clyde.
And sure enough, a couple minutes later I heard another raven make a couple calls from somewhere across the road.
5 minutes or so went by and then here came Clyde gliding down the lot where he landed near the truck.
However, he just would not come very close like yesterday. Both were very leery of coming close.
Long story short...they would both come down for meat if I threw it out away from me. :(
So I have no idea what was going on in their little heads. I'll go back again when I can.

I did get a few video clips, but they aren't too great.

Tammy, I still owe you and Mike those Mr Lincoln prints. I'll get on it asap.
And yes, the Avalanche Gorge and Mr Lincoln images will certainly be entered along with the Bear Hat and St Mary panos from last Sept.
Good thing the number of entries isn't restricted. :)

These two from yesterday are ok to look at here on a monitor but aren't very good technically...imo.
I didn't do much to either of them in post after stitching the images. A little haze reduction and brought up shadows a little.
Those recessed areas in shadow are hard to get right with my limited talent in Photoshop Elements. :(

The water level is WAY down compared to last year. Plus it was cold, getting dark, and spitting snow and rain.
Fortunately there was no wind 8)

Both are 3 image vertical panos to increase pixel density and then cropped to square images.
PTgui really does a far better job of stitching panos, especially ones like these two which have long exposure times.
And PTgui also is FAR better at dealing with scenes that have close foreground elements like here.
Photoshop Elements pano app would never get these images right.

Camera Sony [ILCA-77M2]
Focal Length 23.9 mm (23.9 mm in 35mm)
Aperture f/5.6
Exposure Time 0.7s (0.7)
ISO 200
Polarizer used

Camera Sony [ILCA-77M2]
Focal Length 22.6 mm (22.6 mm in 35mm)
Aperture f/11
Exposure Time 2s (2)
ISO 200
Polarizer used

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I love this gal's videos.
She has an amazing ability to befriend birds, especially blue jays.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I submitted 20 images to the photo contest at glacier.org a few minutes ago.
However, for some reason it cut me off after 20 images. Dunno why since we're supposed to be able to submit as many as we want. I have 10 left to submit, including some of my best(imo). What the hell?

pete :( :(

Photo Submission Form
Please use the form below to submit photos.

1. By participating in this Photo Contest you grant the Glacier Conservancy the right to publish your photographs for any purpose.

2. Photo submissions must be in Glacier National Park.

3. All photo submissions must be high resolution JPEG file format.

4. File name should include your name and photo location. (i.e. BillyBrown-AvalancheLake.jpeg)

5. Submit as many photos as you like.

6. Questions? Email photocontest@glacier.org

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Hi everyone:

Please do NOT vote until I get all my images uploaded. I'll let you know when that will be. I have until Nov 15.
Until then you can view the first 20 here.
You can watch as a slide show by clicking the "play" button just left of the green box to buy images(Mine are not for sale...for now)
Thanks for watching.

pete :wink:

The contest photos will have a short description of where the images were taken.
Until then, if you have questions just post them here

https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Glaci ... /n-2f2wD8/

George Carlin
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Pete, I really enjoy your photos and look forward to more. I don't post often, as it seems I have a lot of trouble signing in, but do look at the site often and always go straight to your photos. Guess in the future I'll be seeing Florida pictures! Good luck with your trip to the Ukraine and your move to Florida. Looking forward to seeing all your entries in the contest. Best of luck.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

indiana hiker wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:45 pm Pete, I really enjoy your photos and look forward to more. I don't post often, as it seems I have a lot of trouble signing in, but do look at the site often and always go straight to your photos. Guess in the future I'll be seeing Florida pictures! Good luck with your trip to the Ukraine and your move to Florida. Looking forward to seeing all your entries in the contest. Best of luck.
indiana hiker wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:45 pm Pete, I really enjoy your photos and look forward to more. I don't post often, as it seems I have a lot of trouble signing in, but do look at the site often and always go straight to your photos. Guess in the future I'll be seeing Florida pictures! Good luck with your trip to the Ukraine and your move to Florida. Looking forward to seeing all your entries in the contest. Best of luck.
Thanks Barb
Yeah I had a LOT of trouble recently getting in the chat and/or posting if I did. It's not you.
Something in the system.
Thanks for liking my photos. It really helps my confidence.
I suppose I'm like many people in that I'm my own worst critic--never happy with what I do.

Yup, you know what the area around Winter Haven is like. There will be endless opportunities for photography right there in Polk County. :)
I can walk to some good spots from my sister's home!! her back yard borders a small area that's overgrown and sort of wild.
Lots of bird life and small mammals. I plan on putting up some feeders for the birds. I LOVE the Bluejays :) :)
And there are retiles as well. It'll be fun catching snakes again!! :arrow: Across the road is Lake Fanny where I went camping at age 12-14 with several of my friends. A lot of that property on the far side of Lake Fanny is still pretty wild. Bald Eagles, Ospreys, otters, and LOTS of alligators--including some very large ones. I'm hoping to get permission to access the lake front property from current residents so I can row or canoe across the lake. So it should be good for photography.

I will keep you up to date :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

For my photography friends.......

One aspect of my photography that I am proud of is that...
I do very little in post processing to my images. Almost all require(imo) lightening of shadow areas and some amount of "dehazing".
The dehazing seems to improve contrast and saturation.
I found overdoing dehazing resulted in a sort of "fake" look to the sky and clouds and color of water in streams, etc. So I cut back on it.

That said...
I'm sure I can improve my images in post processing when I learn to use the software better.
BUT...I want to go slow on post processing. I strive to keep my images looking like the "scene " as I remember it.
Most of the good photographers I follow on YouTube are nearly unanimous in saying they do all they can to get the exposure as close to perfect as they can in the field. Thus minimizing what they need to do in post. I think that's a good idea. However, photography being an "art" I know not everyone feels that way--and that's fine with me. :)
Note: There is no saving an image that is out of focus, so I'm kind of anal about focusing 8) ...and not always successful :(

Florida will offer a totally different "landscape" to photograph. I have always loved the gnarly old live oak trees.
Fun to climb when I was a kid and now will offer endless opportunities for images.
Somewhat like Simon Baxter who loves England's magnificent oaks. Great channel. His dog "Meg" who goes with him is a hoot!!

I will also buy a hunting blind and a climbing tree stand for wildlife pics. It's amazing what you can see from 10-20 feet up in a tree.
My Kindle will make the hours of sitting STILL a lot more tolerable than when I used to bowhunt.

And last, Yes, I am really excited about my trip to Eastern Europe.
There is a LOT going on in that part of the world and I want to see it for myself.
I do not trust America's media to tell the truth about events in the Ukraine or anywhere else for that matter.
And...
It'll be fun meeting Seryozha, Tanya, Artyom, the "grandmothers", and their extended family and friends :D
Frankly, this family is a good model for American families today in so many ways.
They remind me of American Family Life when I grew up.
I'm sure most people here would consider their videos corny, banal, or maybe even stupid.
Each to his own though, right?

Tanya finally took the braids out of her hair! :shock: It took her 10 HOURS to remove the braids with Seryozha's help!
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VpW ... KNKv-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7mp ... WXk3-L.jpg

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Read the fine print Stupid!!
You would think by now at age 73 I would know that. 8)

I couldn't understand why my Sony f 2.8 16-50mm SSM lens wouldn't "autofocus" on my new Sony a6600 using my LA-EA5 lens adapter($250.00)
I use that lens a LOT because it is my best all around lens.
Duh...ya gotta update the firmware(free) for it to work. :shock:

CarolLynn, I am still working on getting a longer telephoto lens! 8)

Very cool now. Combined with the touch screen and flexible spot, this will make focus stacking much easier.
I haven't used focus stacking much because it was awkward Manually focusing on different parts of an image.
And the eye tracking focus now will work for subjects like Clyde the Raven. He doesn't listen when I tell him to "Hold Still"! 8)

I also have an "A" mount f1.8 35mm(52mm) prime lens that, while cheap, is surprisingly sharp that will now autofocus and track, etc.
I'll probably keep the 35mm lens on the camera when traveling next year since it is very light.

Live and learn never stops! LOLOLOL

George Carlin
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

How will you communicate with your Ukraine friends? What language will you speak?
Just curious.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

calicotraveler wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 am How will you communicate with your Ukraine friends? What language will you speak?
Just curious.
I'll send you a PM later today but, I'm pretty sure they both speak passable English as well as being fluent in both Russian and Ukrainian.
There is far more to both of them. Tanya is much more than a pretty face with a beautiful figure.
I think they don't reveal much about their English ability for reasons yet unknown to me.
Tanya let slip one day when she wanted Seryozha's help and said with little trace of an accent...
"Help, help me please". :)
They probably learned over time because a LOT of stuff in their stores is American products with English labeling, some with English and Russian.
They both like casual clothing that has English writing on it.
Some European countries and cultures are more advanced as far as being multi lingual.
And I may also by a "pocket translator".

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

All 30 of the images here have now been entered into the contest.
They are scattered through the other images.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Glaci ... /n-2f2wD8/
I was cut off again but that's ok. I have more but those will have to wait until next year.
Mustn't be greedy, right? 8)

I need to clarify how the voting works.
I'll post a reminder here a few days before Nov. 15th.

From Glacier.org
Timeline
Submissions: October 13 until November 14, 2021 10:00 pm MST
Voting: November 16 – November 29
Winners Announced: December 2021

Judging
Photographs will be anonymously judged based on composition, artistry, and originality by Glacier Conservancy staff. The top finalists will be voted on by the public. Winners will be announced in December 2021.

George Carlin
fmcdonald

Post by fmcdonald »

Pete, all of the photos are stunning. I'll be interested in seeing how the voting works. I'm not sure I can pick just one. I would love to have a calendar using all of them.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

They are all good photos but my favorite is the one of snow covered Bearhat Mountain from the overlook area. Great Job!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

Return to “Photography”