Latest 2020 Season Opening News

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Latest 2020 Season Opening News

Post by PeteE »

llholmes1948 wrote:Here is an update from the Beacon:

Is there anything open at East Glacier? The Blackfeet Reservation is closed but I assume that U.S. 2 is open for travel. Correct or not?

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2020/06/18/b ... g-glacier/
Is anything open?

Personally, I don't believe so if I interpret the Blackfeet documents correctly in the links below.
US2 is the main highway across the northern US and through traffic continues on US2.
My guess is that US89 may not be open except to residents and commercial traffic. The CA border being closed.
I know I'm not going over there to check on East Glacier. It's not worth getting into a hassle with the reservation cops.
Been there and done that about 10 years ago. Not a pleasant experience.

Read the provisions on the top of this page.
Tell me if you think East Glacier businesses are open. Why would they be? Who would be their "customers"?
https://blackfeetnation.com/covid19/

The read this link from June 17th too.
People like you and me are "non residents" If I read page 5 correctly.
We are not welcome on the reservation.
https://blackfeetnation.com/wp-content/ ... 2-2020.pdf

Read this too. In my opinion Mr Goddard, owner of Johnson's CG, is right.
Moreover, I believe the Blackfeet could care less if the St Mary businesses get closed down.
After all the Blackfeet Tribe doesn't benefit very much economically from the businesses in St Mary
https://www.mtpr.org/post/blackfeet-nat ... gin-reopen

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

...edited above

George Carlin
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Pete,
Thanks for the links.
I got an email from a friend yesterday who was driving from Cut Bank to Oregon. He reported that East Glacier looked pretty deserted when he went through. He also reported that Sandpoint, Idaho appeared to be packed with tourists.

Lyman
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Would hope there can be some solution that isolates the people / respects their wishes, and allows for access to the east side (MG, TM, SM).

NPS has been clearing trails in Two Medicine, Many Glacier and St Marys, so staff is at least accessing and working the area (in addition to the plowing).

NPS has aligned St Mary's backcountry office to the July 1st date, so that is a positive sign even if that date may extend out.

All in all, moving ahead much better than I expected - we're talking permits before GTTSR is clear, I wouldn't have imaged that a month or two ago. This isn't to downplay the front country season closures and collateral damage to services.

Fingers crossed for no setbacks.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

I understand that Lake McDonald Lodge is "open" but the lobby is closed to the public and only hotel guests are allowed in the hotel. Dining room is offering take out for non-guests. Not sure if hotel guests can eat in the dining room or if they have to eat in their room.

Lyman
JayAndersen

Post by JayAndersen »

llholmes1948 wrote:I understand that Lake McDonald Lodge is "open" but the lobby is closed to the public and only hotel guests are allowed in the hotel. Dining room is offering take out for non-guests. Not sure if hotel guests can eat in the dining room or if they have to eat in their room.

Lyman
I was there for a few nights and there was no dining room access. We could eat in room or take it outside. A couple tables inside the lobby were available if you wanted to order a few drinks and relax and chat. Overall I think the staff and lodge was handling the situation pretty well. It was actually nice having a quiet lobby area in the evening...I like to wake up very early. :P
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Thanks for that update. I wonder if the trails are less crowded this summer. Sounds like a rather strange year for the Park.

Lyman
risingwolf

Post by risingwolf »

More delays

The Fish Creek Campground will open for the season on June 26, 2020. Reservations may be made at recreation.gov.
Reservations for the St. Mary Campground have been canceled through July 9, 2020.
Reservations for the Group Sites at the Apgar Campground have been canceled through July 9, 2020.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

llholmes1948 wrote:Thanks for that update. I wonder if the trails are less crowded this summer. Sounds like a rather strange year for the Park.

Lyman
The short answer imo is "no".
Yesterday I talked to folks down by the boat ramp while waiting on the sunset.
Lots of people from out of state. Most were not too happy about lack of facilities and places to go.
I guess people don't go the Glacier website(s) to keep up with what's going on.
If that's true then it's gonna be a long, hot, chaotic summer out here when people begin arriving in earnest. :(
The Blackfeet need to get off the dime and open up the East side PRONTO!

George Carlin
risingwolf

Post by risingwolf »

Very discouraging news coming out of the Blackfeet COVID-19 Incident Command or their Facebook for opening up the east side.

Go to
https://blackfeetnation.com/covid19/

Hit on latest news

Watch Rodney Gervas vid.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Thanks to everyone for continuing to keep us updated. Any word to confirm that Hwy 2 is remaining open....and any word on if 89 South from Browning down to Choteau is, or will be, open....much appreciated!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Looks like we lost a lot of posts Thursday-Friday with the platform upgrade....

Some tidbits after the announcement:

https://missoulian.com/news/local/black ... a0611.html

"The Blackfeet Tribe has received about $30 million in federal assistance through the Cares Act and other grants, but that money is being held for a covid-related outbreak, not for economic stimulus or payments to tribal members, Henderson said. "

"Motorists on U.S. Highway 2 and Highway 89 may still stop for gas and food in reservation communities such as East Glacier and Browning. Travelers may also get overnight lodging for single nights. But all other non-essential activity such as camping, hiking, or boating is prohibited by the ordinance."

"National Park Service staff are still evaluating plans to open the St. Mary front-country campground this year, according to Glacier spokeswoman Gina Kerzman."

And from GNP facebook:

"Glacier National Park officials received word late in the afternoon on June 25 that the Blackfeet Tribal Business Council voted to keep the east side access points into Glacier National Park closed until the end of the 2020 visitor season. We understand the Blackfeet Tribe’s concerns regarding COVID-19 and its potential impacts to the residents of the reservation and their culture. While we were already preparing to operate with only west side access for an interim period into July, we need time to digest and understand all the impacts and ramifications of the council’s resolution. We are in the process of determining what this means to park operations and what facilities on the east side will be available by accessing from the west entrance. The Park will be getting information out as soon as it is available regarding our next steps"
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Latest trail and backcountry campsite status. I have added Walton area and made some connectivity and campsite improvements.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle parking along the GTTS road.
Logan Pass is roughly 1:40minutes from my apartment in Kalispell.

I've pretty much decided that most days I'll be getting up and heading out from home at 0400 at the latest, maybe earlier.
If they implement a bunch of rules and restrictions regarding parking time limits, then I don't know what I'll do.

Hitchhiking might work out better.
Hitching would save me a lot of money on gas and wear and tear on Jaybird. 8)

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here's some information to help you understand the magnitude of the potential problem regarding traffic and parking.
The $64,000 question is: Just how many visitors will attempt to enter the park on any given day--especially the first few weeks?
This article from last July is well worth reading.
https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story ... 429151001/

From the article above:
...Parking is equally problematic. The Going to the Sun Road corridor includes 20 parking lots and approximately 170 pull outs. Combined these areas provide space for 2,100 vehicles. This has proven to be inadequate, especially during July and August.
2100 parking places!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consider that the vast majority of potential visitors DO NOT read pages on websites like this one.
Many will be clueless about the real traffic and parking situation upon arrival.
Those in the "tourist industry",local or not, are always going to be reluctant to "tell the truth" about how bad the situation is.
It's not in their interest since motel owners, etc. KNOW they'll very likely fill to capacity no matter what.

So, when the GTTS road does open to St Mary, or maybe only to Sun Point...
After those 2100 spaces do fill up, some for ALL day, what will traffic be like?
Yeah, think about that and then ask yourself, "Do I really want to come to Glacier National Park in 2020?"

PS
Remember there will be NO shuttle service.
So parking around West Glacier and catching a shuttle is not an option.
Last edited by PeteE on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Carlin

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”