Grand Canyon North Rim

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Midwestjim
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Grand Canyon North Rim

Post by Midwestjim »

Hello all,

I debated resurrecting an older, general Grand Canyon thread but elected to start this one specific to the North Rim. My wife and I are headed to the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks. I know late June may not be ideal in terms of temps, but it fits into the schedule and she's already going to be in Arizona for work.

We will be camping at the North Rim campground. This will be our first trip to the North Rim. We will have 2 to 2.5 days available for day hiking. I anticipate hiking the North Kaibab Trail to Supai Tunnel and back up to the rim. If we get an early enough start that may leave some time to do a shorter hike along the rim the same afternoon or evening. I'm thinking the Uncle Jim Trail as that appears accessible from the campground and also relatively flat.

For our second day we're considering the Widforss Point Trail and the Ken Patrick Trail. Based on the Trails Illustrated topo map, Widforss is just shy of 10 miles out and back. That is doable. The full Ken Patrick Trail from the North Rim campground to Point Imperial appears too long for a single out and back. However, the Falcon Guide identifies the Ken Patrick Trail as a 6 mile out and back between Point Imperial and the Cape Royal Road. Has anyone hiked these trails? Opinions? Are there other "must do" trails that we should consider?

Also, please let me know of any recommended stops between the North Rim and the Flagstaff area.

Thanks!
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Grand Canyon North Rim

Post by tibber »

If you go here, it lists most of your options and when you click on something you can get trip reports and photos and such: https://hikearizona.com/traildex.php?SH ... ID=7&STx=3. It's not letting me give you the link for the North Rim so after you click this link, toward the top of the menu, click on Pick a Region by Map, click Northwest, click North Rim

You could also pose your question on the HAZ Forum https://hikearizona.com/dex2/index.php#f-tabs=1 as usually someone will jump in with suggestions. You could choose either Looking for a Hike or the Grand Canyon Forum, scroll down a little and Add Topic: you can copy/paste the post you have here.

The Transept Trail is a very short little hike west from the Lodge. And of course the Cape Royal Trail at sunset gives you pretty great views toward Wotan's Throne. Oh ya, one of my favorites is Cape Final. Here is my playlist of my videos from the Grand Canyon There is a lot there as they include my river trip but you can scroll . I see I need to add tags for the North Rim ones. Below my videos in the description is a link to my trip report and photos.

Anyway, I hope your weather is good.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Between Flagstaff and the North Rim, if you are going on Route 89 and have time, I would recommend the Wupatki National Monument which is not far from Flagstaff.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report.

Lyman
al_in_al
Gender?: Female

Post by al_in_al »

I had a free day to explore the North Rim before a hike down to Phantom Ranch (North Kaibab was pretty awesome). In the morning I drove to the viewpoints and hiked to Cape Final. In the afternoon I did part of the Widforss Trail - I really enjoyed it even though I didn’t make it to the point, and when I go back will do the full trail.

I also managed to walk out to Bright Angel Point 4 times in the day and a half I was at the North Rim. Couldn’t get enough of it, in spite of the crowds.
Midwestjim

Post by Midwestjim »

Thank you, all. This information is really helpful. I'm looking forward to having such easy access to these trails from the campground. I'll be getting plenty of driving in Montana next month. 8)

I was looking at Wupatki last month as a possible stop. Pair it up with Sunset Crater if we have enough time. Never enough time on vacation.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

A few years ago, some skiing buddies of mine were still doing the rim-to-rim-to-rim. They'd pick a good time like April and have at it. I think the "Park" has highly discouraged this kind of reckless exercise because people start with dress shoes and 16 oz of water (well, if that). But these two were fit and 40 something.

Jay

Did I ever mention running to the river with some crazy Germans?
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Return to “Other National Parks”