June 27 - Aug 10 trip report

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

chrystal
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

June 27 - Aug 10 trip report

Post by chrystal »

Hi Everyone, I have been reading this board for several years and am just realizing that this is my very first post. My father grew up in Great Falls and then lived in Missoula before moving east (what was he thinking?), so we have been to GNP many, many times over the years. Lately, we have been trying to make the trip every other year, and the wealth of information I have found on this message board has been wonderful – so thank you!

I have some more pictures posted here: https://plus.google.com/photos/11299091 ... MC0k_rFnQE

This year’s trip was much more challenging for us because it is the first time coming with my 20-month-old daughter. We have taken her hiking plenty of times, but were being realistic that we wouldn’t be able to do many of the hikes in Glacier that we really wanted to with her. Also, since we would have her with us, this was also the first time I truly felt nervous about running into bears while hiking. We were also traveling with my parents and sister, and my sister’s boyfriend (who has never been to Glacier or Montana). We decided to pay the extra $ and fly into Kalispell this year, which ended up not being too bad because the car rental was a lot cheaper than both Missoula or Great Falls. It was also the only location where they would give me unlimited miles with the rental. This was important because we always stay in Somers on Flathead Lake. Most people probably think we are crazy staying so far from the park, but since we come for two weeks, we do a lot of activities outside the park as well (again –crazy!). I won’t go into too much detail here, and try to stick to some highlights of the Glacier stuff.

Our first day we spent some time hanging around Lake McDonald, Apgar, and Lake McDonald Lodge for dinner. We also “hiked” the Trail of Cedars. I have actually never taken the time to do this, and it was a good walk for my mother who cannot walk for long distances and has trouble on regular trails. The next day, we spent some time in Lone Pine State Park which had a really nice interpretive center for kids.

The first hike we did was to Iceburg Lake. The weather was beautiful, but unfortunately for a number of reasons we did not enjoy the hike as much as I would have liked. We did not leave as early as planned and due to the construction, it took us over three hours to get across the park to Many Glacier. This means we were in the car for about four hours before getting to Swiftcurrent Motor lodge. I think we got held up for about 45 minutes alone at Trail of Ceders. I agree with Hockey Ref - couldn’t believe how many people were packed onto the shuttles driving through the park. During our last trip, we waited forever to catch the shuttle – or split up and met at the destination – since they wouldn’t let you on if they didn’t have a seat. We ate part of our lunch in the parking lot and got going on the trail. It was very hot and sunny, and the flies were exceptionally bad. I wasn’t feeling well, and wasn’t able to stop and rest because the flies would swarm if you stopped walking. We were moving slower than usual because my husband doesn’t hike as fast with the child carrier, but I unfortunately continued to feel sick for the entire hike. We stopped for a bit at the lake, ate the rest of our lunch and headed back. I have never been so happy to reach the parking lot, got sick next to some poor guys car, and immediately felt better. We then grabbed a bite to eat in the bar at the MGH before making the long drive back – through East Glacier this time.

Grinnell Glacier hike was next and the weather was beautiful. There was a lot of water coming down the trail in spots. Much more than we have encountered before. One hiker slipped and fell off the ledge (at the point where it is a bit thin so you don’t have a choice but to get wet). They brought in two helicopters to assist and carry him out (Not sure how far he fell, but I believe he was unconscious). It was very impressive how they fly in and land on the trail for a situation like that – I included a great picture that my sister took.

During our one rainy day of the entire two weeks, we stopped by the Whiskey Barn in Coram, and hit one or two wineries in the area. We then did a small hike to Strawberry Lake, which was recommended by someone we met locally. Although not in the park, it was a nice hike with our daughter because there were nice views and a lot of shade.

We took the drive to Polebridge and Bowman Lake for lunch and a swim one day. We had never been there and it was beautiful.

My parents also offered to babysit for us another day and we had planned to hike the Dawson-Pitamakin loop during our second week. The weather outlook was not great, so we changed our plans and went to the Jewel Basin instead. We did a loop that included Mt Aeneas which had outstanding views of Glacier and the Swan and Lewis and Clark ranges (I believe). Even though it was a bit hazy from the forest fires, we really enjoyed the hike.

All-in-all it was a great vacation and we are looking forward to coming out again in 2015.
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: June 27 - Aug 10 trip report

Post by isleroyaleguy »

I enjoyed your trip report and awesome pics. And kudos to you and husband for taking a 20 mo. old bundle of energy to the park. Thats a challenge in it self, keeping up with her. Very cute. Great job
IRG
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

Enjoyed the report and the great photos. You have quite the trooper there hiking along with her papa. That was a perfect moment captured.

Heff
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Fantastic!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! :mrgreen:
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

A great report, and some amazing photos!!
gplg

Post by gplg »

Few more days.I can't wait. What were the overnight lows like the the higher areas?
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Nice report, and congrats on getting your daughter out onto the trails. My own daughter is expecting twin girls in a few weeks and I bought them both "Hiker In Training" shirts when I was in Glacier earlier this month.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
goose

Post by goose »

I've been to GNP 3 previous times, but this will be my first as early as June 26. From your photos, it appears that many of the great hikes in Many GLacier will be open. Do you think it is too early to count on GTTS road opening to Logan so I can do Hockey Ref again ( I love the Granite Park Chalet)?

David
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

goose wrote:I've been to GNP 3 previous times, but this will be my first as early as June 26. From your photos, it appears that many of the great hikes in Many GLacier will be open. Do you think it is too early to count on GTTS road opening to Logan so I can do Hockey Ref again ( I love the Granite Park Chalet)?

David
Hi David:

The Sun Road opening is always hard to predict but June 26th could be optimistic this year.
There's been a lot of snow so far this season and it's still coming.
The same reasoning applies to the HockeyRef hike.
There's a fair chance that the Highline trail from Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet might be open.
However, the trail from Swiftcurrent Pass to Many Glacier will probably not be passable by June 26th.
And then I could be wrong on both counts. 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
chrystal
Gender?: Female

Post by chrystal »

Lol...I just now realize (several years later) that I miss-typed the date in the title of this post. It should have said July 27...not June!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

chrystal wrote:Lol...I just now realize (several years later) that I miss-typed the date in the title of this post. It should have said July 27...not June!
Chrystal,

It is never too late to make a correction and I enjoyed re-reading your report.

Thanks,
Lyman

Return to “Trip Reports”