flying into Calgary

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

McKee80
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

flying into Calgary

Post by McKee80 »

Hi,

I'm planning on leaving some food at Goat Haunt prior to my trip (Belly River to Boulder Pass and back to Goat Haunt). There is a flight arriving in Calgary at 11:15 AM. I'd need to be on the 4:00 waterton boat. It looks to be about a 3 hour drive, but I'm not sure how much time to factor in for clearing customs and getting the rental car. Does anyone have experience coming to Glacier via Calgary, with a full pack checked?

Thanks, Sean.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: flying into Calgary

Post by teapot57 »

It will be tight, but I think it’s doable as long as all of the stars align. I can’t speak to the customs lines because we have Nexus cards so we breeze right through. And the line up will depend on how many flights are landing around the same time as yours. I can tell you that it is a long walk from the gate to customs in the new international terminal, and it seems we always have to wait forever for baggage. I have no experience with car rentals here in Calgary.

If I were you I would study the route on Google Earth and know exactly where to park and catch the boat in Waterton. It’s not a big town, but doing that could save you some time and stress if you end up in a time crunch.
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

Thanks! I'll make sure I know my way around Waterton. I might also look into shipping my pack to Calgary so I can just have a carryon for the plane.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

I think it might be quicker to wait for your baggage than it would be to make another stop to pick up your shipped pack. Plus, it will probably cost you a small fortune to ship something that heavy internationally. Just my .02
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

You're probably right. I might just come in two days early to Kalispell, then I'll have plenty of time to do everything. I hate to burn an extra day that I don't really have, but I'm sure driving GTTS and hitting a day hike or two would be pretty sweet. Or I'll just suck it up and carry 8 nights of food.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

McKee80 wrote:You're probably right. I might just come in two days early to Kalispell, then I'll have plenty of time to do everything. I hate to burn an extra day that I don't really have, but I'm sure driving GTTS and hitting a day hike or two would be pretty sweet. Or I'll just suck it up and carry 8 nights of food.
Good thinking imo- and "Clyde the Raven" agrees fwiw.
Better to be 2 days early than an hour late--and screw your whole trip. 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

McKee80 wrote:You're probably right. I might just come in two days early to Kalispell, then I'll have plenty of time to do everything. I hate to burn an extra day that I don't really have, but I'm sure driving GTTS and hitting a day hike or two would be pretty sweet. Or I'll just suck it up and carry 8 nights of food.
That's the best idea yet. Arriving a littler earlier will provide the time you need as well as a little cushion should something go awry.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”