US89 Construction Ongoing Between Browning and St Mary

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

US89 Construction Ongoing Between Browning and St Mary

Post by PeteE »

Seeing the map of the Glacier Half Marathon route reminded me of the construction on US89 in that area.
The rebuilding of US89 for a few miles east of Kiowa junction will probably be ongoing for a few more weeks at least.
The construction North of Kiowa junction is going to last through the summer in some form or another.
They are completely rebuilding US89, rerouting major parts of it between Kiowa Junction and the South Fork of the Milk River.
I was delayed for 20 minutes waiting on the Follow Me vehicle last week.
You will not be able to bypass the construction using MT49.
Looks to me like there will be major delays on that portion of US89 through the summer.

So in my opinion, unless there is official news to the contrary,
Those coming from the East on US2, the West via US2( Spokane, Kalispell, the KGPI airport, etc.) and from the South on US89(Great Falls, Helena, etc.)
You would be MUCH,much better off going into/through Browning and taking Highway 464, a left turn off US2 as you leave Browning, to where it meets US89 1 mile south of Babb.
It's about 36 miles if I recall from Browning to junction of US89 in Babb.
From there, make a left turn and it's a 10 minute drive to St Mary and the East entrance to the park.
OR
Turn right and go 1 mile to the Many Glacier entrance road by the Cattle Baron Steakhouse.
Highway 464(The Duck Lake Road) is a good road with a 70mph speed limit. No traffic lights or stops.
Great views of the Great Plains to the East and Northern Rocky Mountain front to the West.

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Midwestjim

Re: US89 Construction Ongoing Between Browning and St Mary

Post by Midwestjim »

Thanks for this info. We will be making a round trip between East Glacier and Chief Mountain in July so I will have to keep this in mind. I remember last August getting delayed a bit on US-89 north of 49 and it pretty much being a washboard road for a mile or two, but nothing major. Let us know if there are any changes.
al_in_al
Gender?: Female

Post by al_in_al »

Thanks for the heads up. Didn’t get to Two Medicine last year, but should be heading there one day in August from St. Mary, so I’ll get to check out the construction. I do like the Duck Lake Road route, and we’ll probably take that back if it’s the day we transfer to Many Glacier.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

al_in_al wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Didn’t get to Two Medicine last year, but should be heading there one day in August from St. Mary, so I’ll get to check out the construction. I do like the Duck Lake Road route, and we’ll probably take that back if it’s the day we transfer to Many Glacier.
You're welcome.
If you're headed to Two Med from St Mary, You're probably just as well off to go directly on US89 and MT49.
And my guess is that if you go early in the morning(before 0700) you won't have much, if any delay.
The same is true for anyone thinking of going through the construction area.

Usually, they work from 0700-1700 Monday-Saturday. And then after working hours, they'll put up "traffic control lights" if one way traffic is necessary.
I say usually because that is not always true.
Some jobs are better done at night.

Personally, in the past, I've always tried to get through construction areas before 0700 if possible.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Midwestjim wrote:... Let us know if there are any changes.
I'll do that :)

George Carlin

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”