Red Eagle Campground

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

catbock
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Red Eagle Campground

Post by catbock »

Newcomer here! :D

I'm arriving in Glacier this next Monday evening and I have no reservations. I'm looking at car camping near Two Medicine for two nights before our hike. I know we'll be arriving way too late in the day to get a site at Two Medicine, so I was looking at the Red Eagle Campground just outside the park off of 49. The only information I've found, apart from what's on the Blackfeet website (http://blackfeetcampgrounds.com/red-eag ... ounds.html), is that it just opened last year. There's a site to make reservations, but from the look of it, there are zero sites currently reserved, which has me worried. Does anyone have any information on this campground?

Thanks!
Cathy
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: Red Eagle Campground

Post by PeteE »

Forget that CG. You don't want to stay there.
Major construction on US89.
I'm camped at Johnson's in St Mary right now.
$30/night for a tent spot.
They do take reservations.
DO NOT make reservations through the web site 3rd party reservation service.
Call them direct at 406 732 4207.
Do it soon. GNP is slammed again this year.
Another option is KOA in St Mary, and they take reservations.
And imo....I would NOT use these on line review apps for this area and let go at that
You'll far better advice from this chat board.
Just sayin' 8)

pete :wink:

Yeah these places are not that close to Two Med, but theu are decent places to stay.
There may be something in East Glacier. Im not a fan of East Glacier so I can't say about that area.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I noticed the Red Eagle place as I drove by a couple of weeks ago. Also a similar place at the Cut Bank road intersection. I could not tell from the road what the camping was like but both looked like they were tossed together quickly. The signs weren't too professional, etc. So hard to say. They could be fine but maybe not. Pete's suggestions are the safest option.
catbock
Gender?: Female

Post by catbock »

Sounds like it’s best to avoid it. Thanks!
ND

Post by ND »

Last year we drove through Red Eagle and weren't too impressed. Instead we stayed in a campground right in East Glacier called the Y Lazy R. Go east on Montana Avenue, turn right on Meade Street and it will take you right there. You can tent or park an RV. We had no problem getting a spot right in the middle of the day. I don't think it ever filled. The campground has restrooms and showers.Can't vouch for the shower; never used it. Now it is NOTHING FANCY, basically a fenced in open area, and they told us to pitch our tent where ever we wanted. IMO it's just a place to stay that's close to Two Medicine and we thought it was OK for a night of car camping and then try to get a spot at Two Medicine the next morning. As I remember it was a pretty reasonable price per night. The the campground was quiet the night we stayed there except for the trains as they pass through town. Pete's advice is excellent! We stay at Johnson's campground every year. Nice wooded sites, working restrooms and showers, and haven't ever had a problem getting a place to stay even without reserving a spot. However they will take reservations and you might feel better knowing you have a spot locked down since it's so busy in the park again this year. It's a little longer drive to Two Medicine, but you can't go wrong by staying at Johnsons. If I was traveling alone Johnson's would be my choice.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

We were going to check out Red Eagle Campground when we were leaving Two Medicine. Julie actually pushed to and I wanted to keep rolling. Anyway, I think they have a good spot and it certainly has potential.

We did check out the campground at Duck lake. I'd say it doesn't have much for flat campsites (for a tent). If you're into fishing and have an RV, it might work. We didn't spot any presence of employees and spotted (as I remember) only one RV, so you could call it quiet. The road in sucks, so keep that in mind. Chewing Blackbones has the entrance building open with actual humans inside. People were setting up teepees, so that's an improvement from the past. It looked like buildings were painted or improved since we were there last.

But yeah, Johnson's is centrally located, has showers, internet and food, so it checks a lot of boxes. That would be my first non-NPS campground.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Return to “Camping”