Hammock Camping in the Backcountry

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Lawnyo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hammock Camping in the Backcountry

Post by Lawnyo »

New to the forum. I am going on a backpacking trip late August. I would like to know about the possibility of hammock camping during the trip. I have been told by the person planning our trip that the plan is to camp at the following camp sites:

Elizabeth Lake
Mokowanis Lake
Stoney Indian Lake Camp or Kootenai Lakes Camp
50 mountain Camp
Granite Park Chalet CG

Does anyone know the likelyhood of being able to hammock camp at these sites. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Hammock Camping in the Backcountry

Post by Heff936 »

I've stayed at all of these locations, though you didn't mention which Elizabeth Lake camp you have on your permit, ELF or ELH so I'll list my thoughts on both.

ELF - May be challenging but there should be one or two campsites that could accommodate a hammock.
ELH - I think you would be fine as these camps are in a partially forested area;
MOL - These camps are in the woods and should you should be fine;
STO - May be difficult to find large enough trees here;
KOO - Most of these camps should accommodate a hammock;
FIF - I don't recall specifically but some of the camps are in trees
GRN - I don't recall much in the way of trees of any size at this camp.

I hope this helps

Heff
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

I can't speak specifically about each individual campground you list as I haven't been to all of them, but just in general I would think it would be pretty difficult to plan to hammock camp on an extended trip in GNP. Even though you use a hammock and not a tent, you're still required to stay in the tent pad or general tent site area, which is really going to be restrictive for trying to find a good hammock spot. I think that's especially true if you're traveling in a group and trying to fit a tent and a hammock in a spot. Most (but not all) of the designated tent sites in GNP are pretty tiny. I have no idea how people fit (2)- two person tents in many of those sites. But I think it would be even harder to fit a hammock and a tent on one site, simply because if you find two ideal trees you're stuck with that hammock arrangement and you have to then make the tent work around the hammock. While tents are bulkier at least (with some issues and discomfort potentially) they can be thrown pretty much anywhere in which there is room.

That's not to say you can't make it work at some of the sites. It's very possible you may be able too. I just think it will be difficult and there may be some sites you strike out at.
Supersonic_Blimp

Post by Supersonic_Blimp »

FIF is going to be pretty hit or miss. I think maybe a couple sites had big enough trees, but others are fairly open or nothing solid giving all the burn damage still visible.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

smahurin wrote:I can't speak specifically about each individual campground you list as I haven't been to all of them, but just in general I would think it would be pretty difficult to plan to hammock camp on an extended trip in GNP. Even though you use a hammock and not a tent, you're still required to stay in the tent pad or general tent site area, which is really going to be restrictive for trying to find a good hammock spot. I think that's especially true if you're traveling in a group and trying to fit a tent and a hammock in a spot. Most (but not all) of the designated tent sites in GNP are pretty tiny. I have no idea how people fit (2)- two person tents in many of those sites. But I think it would be even harder to fit a hammock and a tent on one site, simply because if you find two ideal trees you're stuck with that hammock arrangement and you have to then make the tent work around the hammock. While tents are bulkier at least (with some issues and discomfort potentially) they can be thrown pretty much anywhere in which there is room.

That's not to say you can't make it work at some of the sites. It's very possible you may be able too. I just think it will be difficult and there may be some sites you strike out at.
Lawnyo:

Welcome to the chat!

smahurin:
I think you make a good point about the difficulty in using a hammock for camping in GNP.

The "tent sites" are designed for---drum roll--- TENTS. Duh.
And therefore the tent sites proper are devoid of trees.
Sure, there are some tent sites at some locations where a couple trees might be close enough to the tent site proper where you could hang a hammock.

But...does the BC Office want to encourage/allow the practice of people camping outside the tent sites?
I would hope not.
People being who they are these days with all their almighty sacred "rights" will soon ignore all the rules regarding camp sites.

And what will our hammock camper do when he and his party arrive and other backpackers have already taken all the site(s) that had suitable trees?
You going to ask them to move? Good luck with that.
Personally, I would tell you, " NO, I won't trade and I resent you even asking. Bring a tent, or a bivy like everyone else."
Sorry, life is not always fair.

I would call the BC Office and ask them for advice if I were Lawnyo.

Good Luck and have a great trip.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Yes, I think you really have to plan on at least some nights staying in either a tent or a bivy. Which at that point, if you have to bring a tent/bivy for at least some nights you'll have to decide whether it's worth it to lug a hammock (I realize they are relatively compact/light-ish) in addition to a tent/bivy in the hopes that you can use the hammock at some but not all of the sites.

I'm not trying to tell you that you can't bring a hammock, or that you can't decide its worth it to carry both a hammock and a tent, but just to be aware of what you're planning. Here are some pictures of a few of the tent sites you're planning to stay at fWIW:

http://mattb.drizzlehosting.com/camp_details/STO.htm
http://mattb.drizzlehosting.com/camp_details/FIF.htm
http://mattb.drizzlehosting.com/camp_details/MOL.htm
http://mattb.drizzlehosting.com/camp_details/ELF.htm

There are certainly some trees in those photos, but again since you're required to stay within the confines of the pad space, it's just going to make it difficult to manage in some of those cases.

Return to “Camping”