Many Glacier

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Many Glacier

Post by daveparker »

I have lived here close to 20 years and there is no way in hell I would invest the money to open a campground, the season is too short and the returns are to low to make it an ongoing financial success. It is just to risky.
trevbo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by trevbo »

Chewing Blackbones, in the 80s, was just the kind of campground you're talking about. Unfortunately it was not maintained and staffed well enough over the years.
Is Chewing blackbones campground closed? They still have a website (very simple, might be an abandoned vestige left on the 'net.) I think they still have signage and the camp is still there but I do not recall seeing much in terms of tents or rv's staying in that field.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

trevbo wrote:
Chewing Blackbones, in the 80s, was just the kind of campground you're talking about. Unfortunately it was not maintained and staffed well enough over the years.
Is Chewing blackbones campground closed? They still have a website (very simple, might be an abandoned vestige left on the 'net.) I think they still have signage and the camp is still there but I do not recall seeing much in terms of tents or rv's staying in that field.
As far as I know chewing backbones is still technically alive and open-ish. But even in the past, my experience has been they are only actually open about 2 weeks per year. Maybe thats just me not paying attention. I typically visit GNP 6-8 times per summer and I only ever see chewing backbones open 1 or maybe 2 of those trips per year.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I haven't driven through the campground in a while, but yes, it seems to be open once in a while. My guess (if I post the wrong information, maybe someone will get upset and post the right information) is that here is a "festival" around July 4th every year. (Babbfest?) It seems that the campground opens for that, and then some campers hang around into July. If I had to guess (there's that word again), I'd guess this is a Blackfeet gathering and someone in the Blackfeet Nation is in charge of collecting or not collecting fees.

There was a thread in 2008 on the campground and I responded at that time that I heard someone from St. Mary wanted to take over the campground. I don't know if that happened.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

trevbo wrote:
I believe that Chewing Blackbones is still open. They usually have a sign to that effect at the entrance. The field near the entrance is not the campground. There are picnic shelters there. The actual campground cannot be seen very well from the highway. It lies north of the entrance a ways. The campground has/had plenty of room for RVs and tent campers. The big field is sometimes used by fire crews and for special events.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

The gate was locked as of yesterday. Looks to be ready to open though. Been a couple of years since ban feet was last held.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

That would be babb fest. Not ban feet...
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... ntana.html

Montana_slowhiker on the TA forum reported that at the GNP meet and greet they mentioned that starting in 2016 half of all many glacier spots will be reservable. While I believe him, I haven't seen this info posted anywhere yet, so I was curious if this decision was set in stone or they were still debating this as an option. Obviously we're still a year out, but just curious if anyone had heard more about it.

Most of the things he mentioned as still being discussed, such as requiring day hike permits on GTTSR cooridor, and preventing all overnight parking on GTTSR. Limiting parking on GTTSR would definitely add a slight challenge to those visiting a chalet, or backpacking in from GTTSR.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

smahurin wrote:http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... ntana.html
Most of the things he mentioned as still being discussed, such as requiring day hike permits on GTTSR cooridor, and preventing all overnight parking on GTTSR. Limiting parking on GTTSR would definitely add a slight challenge to those visiting a chalet, or backpacking in from GTTSR.
For those visiting a Chalet there is already a shuttle service offered to provide transportation to/from a trailhead.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

There is, but it doesn't drop you off at jackson glacier until almost 10am (unless I'm misreading the literature). Personal preference, but when I start a long-ish day hike I like to hit the trail considerably earlier than that. But that may not be an option, or they may consider changing the schedule.
Jeff E
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeff E »

The language the Park was using in its proposal to make half of Many Glacier sites reservable did indeed make it seem as though the Park had made up its mind. I have not found any follow-up in respect to a decision, though the sites are not reservable (as you noted) this year.
I just returned from a two week stay at the Many Glacier Campground . In speaking with one of the campground hosts, she said that the Park had not yet made the final decision, but was very close to making one. She had some of the same concerns that many of the sites will go unused due to people not canceling reservations after their vacation plans change. She said that she has witnessed this at both the Fish creek and St, Mary campgrounds.

If you are opposed to making these changes to the campground, I urge you to write your concerns to:

Superintendent
Glacier National Park
P.O. Box 128
West Glacier, Mt 59936

Please don't hesitate as I understand that the decision could be made any day now.

Thanks, Jeff
Jeff E
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeff E »

It looks like the NPS has made its decision on using the reservation system for the MG campground. The park service posted this in a news release about Changes to Glacier National Park Fees.

"Beginning in May 2016, the federal reservation system will also be used for approximately half of the camp sites at the Many Glacier Campground. The remaining sites not included on the reservation system will be first-come first-serve."

I hope this plan works. I have my doubts. :cry:
Jen

Post by Jen »

Traveling from 1400 miles away, I love the idea of half reservable sites. Maybe now I can finally start staying at MG!

:arrow:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Jen wrote:Traveling from 1400 miles away, I love the idea of half reservable sites. Maybe now I can finally start staying at MG!

I agree with Jen. The recreation.gov website is a great way to reserve campsites.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Jen wrote:Traveling from 1400 miles away, I love the idea of half reservable sites. Maybe now I can finally start staying at MG!

I agree, I have used the reservation system many times over the years and it has always worked out great for Deb and I.

Return to “Camping”