Many Glacier

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

smahurin
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Many Glacier

Post by smahurin »

Well someone feel free to correct me, but I'm assuming since Many Glacier is open, they aren't accepting reservations for camp spots at least this year. I know there was quite a bit of debate/conjecture/whispering that it might happen, but looks like it's at least a year out, if they are implementing it at all.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: Many Glacier

Post by Ear Mountain »

smahurin wrote:Well someone feel free to correct me, but I'm assuming since Many Glacier is open, they aren't accepting reservations for camp spots at least this year. I know there was quite a bit of debate/conjecture/whispering that it might happen, but looks like it's at least a year out, if they are implementing it at all.
I wish that GNP would use the Rec.gov website for campsite reservations at all their campgrounds. It takes all the hassle out of trying to be at an auto campground early enough to get a campsite. We used rec.gov twice on a recent trip to the Four Corners area and found it worked very well.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Rec.gov works great, I wish Montana would start using them as well as MG, the system Montana now uses, requires a $10 extra fee to make a res, which I hate, but I used rec.gov last year for the 4th of July on the Hungry Horse and things worked out perfectly.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

The campsites would book up like Sperry Chalet (be gone in a minutes after the reservations open). I just looked at Sylvan Lake, SD, and it's booked (almost fully) for the summer. Sylvan Lake vs. Many Glacier....hmmm. I'd guess May Glacier is 50 times more popular. It's very easy to book a site. It's much hard to show up at the site.

I'm looking at a trip in June, but I still haven't nailed down the exact dates I can leave due to work. I wouldn't say I like hunting for sites in the dark, but it's better than booking and cancelling.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

daveparker wrote:Rec.gov works great, I used rec.gov last year for the 4th of July on the Hungry Horse and things worked out perfectly.
I agree, the system works pretty well. We use it for BWCA trips also used it for Florida State Parks. And the Teton NP system was fast and easy.
IRG
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

isleroyaleguy wrote:
daveparker wrote:Rec.gov works great, I used rec.gov last year for the 4th of July on the Hungry Horse and things worked out perfectly.
I agree, the system works pretty well. We use it for BWCA trips also used it for Florida State Parks. And the Teton NP system was fast and easy.
IRG
Ya I loved the rec.gov website when getting my teton crest permit too. It was amazing to log on and get a backcountry permit in under 10 minutes, know you had it, and be done with the process. That was slick.
Ear Mountain wrote: I wish that GNP would use the Rec.gov website for campsite reservations at all their campgrounds. It takes all the hassle out of trying to be at an auto campground early enough to get a campsite. We used rec.gov twice on a recent trip to the Four Corners area and found it worked very well.
I would love that. Since I live in great falls, I almost always leave after work (between 5-7pm by the time I get out of town) and drive up to the park. I generally don't know for sure when my trips are going to be until a week or 2 before hand, at which point all the st. mary's and fish creek reservable spots are gone, so I always end up with reservations at the st. marys KOA as I have no interest in hunting for a campground/campspot usually at 10pm at night. I just want to get in, throw down my tent and be done (welll that and my wife likes clean/hot showers when we camp!). If all the places took reservations I'm sure I could snag a spot much more easily. I've only stayed in the park campgrounds a couple of times in all my trips to glacier. 6-8 times per summer usually.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I was looking at random dates at St Mary CG which does take reservations right now.
July and August dates are disappearing fast. August dates look about 85-90% booked now.
Seems to me that by Aug 1st there will be ZERO, or near zero, spots available to reserve.
So how does a reservation system help someone who doesn't know they're coming until a week or two in advance?
Someone like Smahurin (or me) who doesn't know he's coming until a week or two before he comes.
So...
If and when Many Glacier accepts reservations, you know full well it'll be booked up solid before June 1st.
Many Glacier is far more popular and in demand than St Mary is.
I don't see how reservations help much except for those who are able to plan their trips months in advance.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Well a lot of people do plan their trips, I booked our 4th of July spot back in February through recreational.gov A lot of us locals wait, but if you coming from across the country and know where and when you are going to be at a certain park or campground, being able to get a spot reserved is nice.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I booked my night at St. Mary 3 months ago. :arrow:
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I don't see why Glacier would be much different that Yosemite:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6100 ... emite.html

The advice is to make your reservation at the exact moment the reservations become available....and to practice (making a reservation).

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

smahurin,

The language the Park was using in its proposal to make half of Many Glacier sites reservable did indeed make it seem as though the Park had made up its mind. I have not found any follow-up in respect to a decision, though the sites are not reservable (as you noted) this year.

The two major impediments frequently brought up by Chatters were:
1. A lower actual utilization rate, as some who had made reservations wouldn't get there in time to use the first night, or might have to leave early or abandon a reserved site for some other reason (abandoned, reserved sites cannot be reissued immediately unless departing campers tell the rangers the spot is available).
2. Increased pressure on the remaining, unreservable sites from folks driving around and around, looking for a spot.

A third fell in the arena of convenience/ability to change one's mind owing to weather, etc. I did not think the Park would find that a compelling argument, especially as it can't be quantified.

Last July there was a terrific wind and heavy rain at Two Medicine. The campground emptied in a jiffy.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I really don't have a dog in this fight since I don't care what the park service does about Many Glacier and reservations.
I'll cope with whatever the result is.

I'm thinking if Many Glacier becomes too busy, reservations or not, that might be impetus for some enterprising entrepreneur to build a camp ground in/near Babb.
I bet a well designed camp ground in Babb would be very well received by the visiting public and the people in Babb who would clearly benefit from the trade, etc.

"Well designed" for me includes, but is not limited to, clean, well maintained bathrooms and showers, fresh potable water, on premise laundry facilities, WiFi and whatever the latest "technology" people like/need, dump station if RV facilities are included, and obviously-- a well thought out and designed camping area that caters to tent campers as well as the RV'ers.

Just a thought..

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

macchia wrote:...
I bet a well designed camp ground in Babb would be very well received by the visiting public and the people in Babb who would clearly benefit from the trade, etc....
Chewing Blackbones, in the 80s, was just the kind of campground you're talking about. Unfortunately it was not maintained and staffed well enough over the years.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

macchia wrote:I really don't have a dog in this fight since I don't care what the park service does about Many Glacier and reservations.
I'll cope with whatever the result is.

I'm thinking if Many Glacier becomes too busy, reservations or not, that might be impetus for some enterprising entrepreneur to build a camp ground in/near Babb.
I bet a well designed camp ground in Babb would be very well received by the visiting public and the people in Babb who would clearly benefit from the trade, etc.

"Well designed" for me includes, but is not limited to, clean, well maintained bathrooms and showers, fresh potable water, on premise laundry facilities, WiFi and whatever the latest "technology" people like/need, dump station if RV facilities are included, and obviously-- a well thought out and designed camping area that caters to tent campers as well as the RV'ers.

Just a thought..

Several large plots of land for sale including over 100 acres on Duck Lake. Don't know what the economics are of campgrounds but there are options in case you want to develop one. I agree it would be popular
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

well you're talking about a 10 week season and the possibility/fear that the sun road might eventually be closed to through traffic. makes no sense economically.

Return to “Camping”