Glacier campgrounds

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

elscout198
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Glacier campgrounds

Post by elscout198 »

I am applying to be a host at Glacier this year after last year at ROMO. So hears what I know and my questions.

The park has 11 campgrounds that have hosts AND these 8 will take an RV

Apgar, Avalanche, Bowman Lake, Fish Creek, Many Glacier, Rising Sun, St. Mary and Two Medicine

If you have been to some of or even all of the 8, are there any you did not like?

what are your favorites?

Suspecting those have hosts already where would you stay next in the park of these available .

Finally where do you get free wifi service? (east and west sides)
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Glacier campgrounds

Post by orin »

If you have been to some of or even all of the 8, are there any you did not like?
They are all pretty nice. There really isn't a bad one in the group.
what are your favorites?
My personal favorites are Two Medicine, Avalanche, Many Glacier, St. Mary and Apgar in about that order.
I think that the most popular are Many Glacier, Apgar and St. Mary.

Bowman Lake is the most remote and the road is rough so the RV will get shaken up a bit. Take it slow.

I haven't looked for free wifi on either side.
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

My favorite would be Bowman. Quiet. Spacious. That View. And I suspect that the clientele that are willing to deal with the roads to get there are, by and large, a bit less "high maintenance" than some of the folks that breeze through the easier-access, higher-volume campgrounds? I also like the vibe that you get from the large tent with trail books and other resources for campers to access.

And, then, of course, there's the easy access to the Merc goodies and the Saloon's cuisine and friendly social scene. :mrgreen:

There was no wifi at the Merc when I was there this year, although they did have a computer you could use to briefly check e-mail. I think I remember a sign at the North Fork Hostel that mentioned a daily "Power Hour" when wifi is available, but that may not be something you can get access to if you're not one of their guests? (Though you might be able to work something out with Oliver if you were going to be around for the season. He's a really good guy, IME.)

When I'm on the East Side, I prefer staying at Rising Sun, but I don't think I would enjoy being a host there. Too busy.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Terry,

It all depends on what you are looking for. I agree with Joybird that Bowman would be my personal preference due to the low-maintenance clientele and the proximity to yummy pastries. And of course, the view of Rainbow Peak is not bad either. I think my second choice would be Two-Med.
I would say of the remaining options, any would be just as fantastic as the next. Afterall, It is Glacier Park. :)

When would you find out if you get the gig?
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Jen wrote:Terry,

When would you find out if you get the gig?
Will not find out till early next year.

The Ranger over the park volunteers noted they have lots of folks wanting to host at Glacier and I suspect many return year after year.

I will probably put in for ROMO again as a back up, it was really nice living in the mountains for the summer.

The wifi question is important, we will have someone stay in our house, but I still need to pay the all the bills (water, electric, gas and credit card)
and I would prefer to do it myself. In ROMO we were able to get wifi at the visitor center, and in Estes Park at Starbucks and a few other places. Cell service was very poor in ROMO so 3G and 4G use was very limited. I suspect Glacier is the same depending on where you are.
Jen

Post by Jen »

You are more likely to find internet access "stations" at some of the local business than a wifi hotspot.

Johnson's of St. Mary has wifi near the laundry. I can't remember if you need to be staying there or if you can purchase minutes.

St. Mary KOA has wifi but you might need to be staying there as well.

There used to be an internet access PC at the Park Cafe store. Not sure if that still exists.

Glacier Park Trading in East Glacier has an Internet station.

Whistling Swan Motel has wifi that you may be able to access by parking out front. ;)

The Merc used to have wifi but this year it was just a PC in the back of the store that was available for a donation.

Maybe someone can chime in on hotspots near West Glacier.....
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Thanks Jen and everyone else.
Any more thoughts?
Terry
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

The Glacier Vista Motel in West Glacier had pretty good wi-fi when I stayed there.
But I don't recall any free public wi-fi spots in west glacier.
If you were there all summer I'll bet you could make a deal with the folks at Glacier Vista, they have a nice little breakfast room, with a nice view to the north and good wi-fi reception.

Two Medicine is probably my favorite campground, it has great views, nice campsite, with lots of privacy, and doesn't seem as busy or crowded as the other big campground, but yet you're still only 15 minutes from East Glacier.

Rising Sun would probably be my next favorite. Lots of big trees and shade but open enough that it doesn't seem dark and dreary, and enough brush to provide some privacy. Nice views of the lake and mountains, and the store, restaurant, and showers within walking distance.

The lake amd mountain views at Bowman are great but the campground is in a lodge pole thicket and seems a bit dark to me.. And the campsites are all pretty much visible from everywhere.
I had similar feelings about Apgar but it is way bigger and has way more people.

I think Fish Creek or St Mary would be my next choices if I couldn't get Two Med or Rising Sun. They're both pretty large and busy, Fish Creek seemed more "scenic" than Apgar. St Mary is kind of on an open hillside, so very few trees, and very little shade, some nice views but it could get hot.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

In East Glacier there is free wifi at Brownie's (you might have to buy some coffee), as well as at the Two Medicine Grill (though it was not working the day I tried). Except at Brownie's, when I was in East Glacier I used a Verizon iPhone (3G) as my own hotspot and that worked fine for my (pretty basic) needs.

So, if you're not planning to do more than e-mail and pay a few bills, maybe you can get by just using a smartphone as a hotspot for your laptop or tablet? There is no cell reception in Bowman or Polebridge, but there certainly is in Apgar Village, in West Glacier, and on the Camas Road for a ways north of Fish Creek (I haven't tried in the campground itself). No useful cell reception at Rising Sun -- though in the parking lot in front of the campstore you can sometimes get/send texts. Cell reception picks up once you get a bit east of Rising Sun (enough to get e-mail on the phone...I didn't try the hotspot thing there) and the signal in St. Mary was strong.

Note: I've no idea if the 4G network covers the same territory as the 3G one.

There is a real wifi signal at the gas station across Highway 2 from the Glacier Grill in Coram.

And, of course, you'd have plenty of wifi options if you go into Columbia Falls for groceries.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Some interesting things they tell you as you apply for a park host (I have this for all of the host campgrounds in glacier)

Think as if you will live in a trailer from May to September or June to September. Not just a few days or a week.

Bowman Lake 48 sites (I am not applying) "Host site has a spigot for water, no dump station, no electric, pit toilets.
The hosts that take this have to be extra special. They would need a generator and a place to dump down the "narrow dirt roads". (keep in mind this is for 8 to 16 weeks)

as opposed to

APGAR 194 sites, an additional 10 groups sites; two hosts. (A little larger than what I shared with a second host at Glacier Basin in ROMO.)
Full hook up at host sites (Water, Electric & Sewer) max 40 foot trailer.

they say " groceries, and café are located in Apgar Village 1/4 mile away". "full services in West Glacier located 2 miles away"
Anyone know what they mean? Is there a grocery store, propane store and laundry in West Glacier?

more later
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

The mercantile in West Glacier is a suitable grocery store and carries many items. Certainly not as large or probably as price competitive as the Super One in Columbia Falls or the Walmart in Kalispell but it should suffice for many common items. The Glacier Highland in West Glacier also carries some groceries. If a person was staying at Apgar all summer, they would probably find it beneficial to travel to the Super One for shopping every so often.

As for a Laundromat, Jen is an expert is locating Laundromats so I will leave it up to her or others to handle that question.

Lyman
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Apgar Village has a post office and (according to others) an ATM machine.
West Glacier has the History Society's bookstore at the Amtrak Station.
I do not remember a laundromat at either place.
In terms of basic amenities, I think they are otherwise similar (both have a gas station, both have a sit-down diner, both have some local folks working at the stores who can tell you interesting things about the area).

Apgar Village has a bunch of junk touristy places (also an Alberta info center) and one good souvenir shop, Montana House, which also has hot coffee, cookies, cards, books, etc. At Eddie's, another shop (NPS Glacier has a webcam trained on it), you can get ice cream cones, bear spray, fudge, and a variety of t-shirts.

At St. Mary CG, the A loop, mostly for tents, is wooded; the B loop, less so; the C loop is mostly open and is intended for big rigs and group camping. There are showers in St Mary CG. There are good mountain views at St Mary CG, The host site is located roughly at the V intersection of A and B loops. There is a tree (or two) close in front, as I recall, but the RV site itself is not, or mostly not, shaded. For views, I would take St. Mary. For easy access to real shopping once a week, I would take Apgar CG.
Apgar CG is the first one visitors encounter driving in from the west, and often strikes me as dense with ppl and generator noise.

Montana House (Apgar Village) has a free speakers series, usually on local topics:
http://www.montanahouse.info/
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Thanks Lyman and Selkie

So we have spent more time on the east side but I was not looking at long term stays so I do not remember much

two descriptions

St. Mary 148 sites, Host site has full hook us and max length is 30 ft.

they note "café, store and other services are available in St. Mary, Montana 1 mile away."

Is there enough there that would be reasonable for 8 to 16 weeks?

Two Medicine 99 sites, Host site has full hook ups max 32 ft.

again they note camp store located nearby, full services in East Glacier 12 miles away

Are there enough services in East Glacier?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Terry,

Are you talking about staying put in a campground for 8 to 16 weeks and not having a vehicle to travel around in?

The supermarket at St. Mary actually has a good variety of products. I was favorably impressed when we stopped there last summer. However the produce and possibly fresh meat can be limited. When we were there they had some produce from a Hutterite colony but there was not a great variety. Of course store adequacy is in the eye of the beholder.

If I were staying in St. Mary for any length of time I would plan on making an occasional trip to Teeples IGA or the new tribal store in Browning to stock up on more supplies. I can't vouch for the tribal store but Teeples has great variety and the prices are reasonable.

Likewise if I were at Apgar for the summer, I would plan on an occasional trip to Columbia Falls, Whitefish or Kalispell for stores with more variety and lower prices but you will not starve if you rely on the mercantile at West Glacier.

Selkie's description should be helpful but unless it has moved the Alberta Visitors Center is at West Glacier and not Apgar.

Good luck in your decision.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

Likewise for East Glacier. Glacier Trading co. has a minimal selection of fresh produce and meat. They also have a Deli. Browning would be an easy trip for stocking up.

Return to “Camping”