Glacier campgrounds

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Glacier campgrounds

Post by joybird »

FYI....I think most credit cards will charge a "foreign transaction fee" of anywhere from 1% to 3% for charges made in other currencies, including Canadian dollars.

The one exception I've found was my Discover card; it had NO foreign transaction fee for purchases in Canada.

So, if you're going to use a credit card to avoid having to do a currency exchange, you might want to call your card's customer service folks first to find out what the terms are so you don't end up with any unpleasant surprises.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

joybird wrote:FYI....I think most credit cards will charge a "foreign transaction fee" of anywhere from 1% to 3% for charges made in other currencies, including Canadian dollars.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these Foreign Transaction fees are now illegal. both of the credit card companies I use informed me that ey are no longer charging that fee.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Hmmm. Your comment surprised me so I just called a couple of my other credit card companies. Both were still charging the foreign transaction fee. So I guess it must not be illegal?

But as this illustrates, all cards are not created equal and so it makes sense to shop around for the right card for one's specific needs.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

So folks who stay in Waterton overnight and not pay cash have this also. From a little research some companies still charge fees so,

I will research my credit cards between now and when I find out.

To me the exchange rate is as important, if the dollar goes south again Canada may not be the place to shop. All I can do is dream between now and next year.
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

My grandson and I stayed 2 nights in Waterton this last August. I have and use an American Express credit card for everything. Unfortunately, I found out that some of the places wouldn't take American Express so I had to use my bank card. I was charged an international fee by my bank every time I used the bank card. Both cards made the exchange adjustment. For example, it was $86 for us to take the boat cruise which I charged to my bank card. My bank took $79.30 out of my account but they charged an international processing fee of $2.37. The international processing fee was different each time I used the bank card depending on how much was charged to it. The few times I used cash (at a family campground outside Waterton) it was in small amounts (less than $5) so it was just taken dollar for dollar.
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Deb1741 wrote: I had no extra fee charged to my American Express when I used it and they adjusted the charge for the exchange rate.
This is also really interesting. I haven't actually used my Amex in Canada so I don't know if they typically bundle the international fee in when they adjust for the exchange rate or if they show a separate line-item on the statement? However, customer service did tell me that with my Amex card I'd incur an extra 3% charge (unless I was buying something that was priced in American dollars).

Of course, different Amex's have different fees, premiums, perks, etc, so I wouldn't be surprised if the international terms may vary from card to card too.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

VISA-Citi Bank was charging 3% as of August.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

As I recall, there is a separate line above the actual charges showing the fee for foreign currency payments.

I call the credit card issuers before traveling to Canada (else my charge might not be accepted by the issuer), and at that point I am reminded of what the fee will be.
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

joybird wrote:
Deb1741 wrote: I had no extra fee charged to my American Express when I used it and they adjusted the charge for the exchange rate.
This is also really interesting. I haven't actually used my Amex in Canada so I don't know if they typically bundle the international fee in when they adjust for the exchange rate or if they show a separate line-item on the statement? However, customer service did tell me that with my Amex card I'd incur an extra 3% charge (unless I was buying something that was priced in American dollars).

Of course, different Amex's have different fees, premiums, perks, etc, so I wouldn't be surprised if the international terms may vary from card to card too.

I checked my AMEX statement for that month and found out that I only used the card in Glacier not Waterton. I guess its another sign of my "oldness" cuz I was sure that I had used the card a couple of times. :? :lol: :oops: :roll: Sorry about the miss-information.
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

elscout198 wrote:...To me the exchange rate is as important, if the dollar goes south again Canada may not be the place to shop. All I can do is dream between now and next year.
You like talking about stuff like FOREX and such?
I wouldn't worry too much about the exchange rate going against you. Certainly not in the near future.
USD:CAD was 1.13 today and headed down towards 1.20....especially, among other reasons, if WTI remains below USD80.00/bbl
Betcha a buck it'll go down to 1.20 before it ever gets back up to 1.05 again.
Although I admit that it's really a crap shoot in markets now with all the central bank intervention in markets these days :)

Going to Canada for what you indicated you may need is a waste of time and money, USD:CAD sliding more nothingstanding.
What would you need to buy specifically that you can't get in Browning or someplace else that would warrant the hassle of border crossing and FOREX issues?
"Buy A-mare-E-Can" as Earl Pitts used to say :)

Cell service from Verizon was good at Fish Creek yesterday at the gate.

cheers

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

macchia wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the exchange rate going against you. Certainly not in the near future.
USD:CAD was 1.13 today and headed down towards 1.20....especially, among other reasons, if WTI remains below USD80.00/bbl
Betcha a buck it'll go down to 1.20 before it ever gets back up to 1.05 again.
USD:CAD broke through 1.20 this morning 8)
8+% drop in 2 months
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Random sort of off-topic on this... but if for whatever you have to use a debit card to withdraw cash in Canada as far as I know Royal Bank of Canada is the only one that accepts american debit cards (not sure if there is one in cardston or not?). A trip several years ago, several buddies and I went to a calgary flames hockey game and had to pay the ticket purchaser buyer back in cash/canadian. We looked all over calgary trying every silly atm (it was after the banks closed) trying them all. Several of the people had their debit cards cancelled that trip due to suspicious activity before we finally figured out that RBC was the only one who would take it... obviously you take the withdrawl fee.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

UPDATE:

So far only campground offered to anyone for hosting is Avalanche, but it has a big downside to me. I am right at 30 ft. but leary with no cell service and a 40 hour week as opposed to normal 24 to 28. Not sure how hey run a refrigerator long there either
Also RV Pad Maximum vehicle length 30’ Propane, sewer, water and RV pad provided. Electricity is provided by solar panel and a generator limited to a few hours each day
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Back on Canadian, I have been up there quite a few times and I recommend, taking cash, then the first bank you see, exchange it for Canadian money, it will save you, the first time I went, we thought it was cool to get more change back than we paid them, but quickly we found out, how much we were getting ripped off! I know here locally, I can exchange US for Canadian at most banks, so if you are going through my area, stop at Glacier bank and they will exchange your US for Canadian at what ever the exchange rate is that day.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Well now it gets tough, no word from Glacier but I was invited back to host at ROMO and start July 15 to September 9
I have till March 1 to reply, suspect I will take it rather than hold out and end up somewhere else I may not want to be. (assuming Glacier doesn't call in the next 2 days)
I still want to host in a National Park again and being familiar with the park helps, many openings for places we have not been.

Return to “Camping”