Favorite BC Campsites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Favorite BC Campsites

Post by Ear Mountain »

sj in cal wrote:I haven't stayed at GLH. However, I found GLF to be very average with lots of bugs.
The bug thing is everywhere but seasonal. Some years bugs are light everywhere. Some years not. And at any given time one spot might be buggy and another not. I've stayed at both camps and bugs were not a problem at either, This year, due to all the moisture with standing water everywhere I predict it will be a buggy early summer. Two weeks ago we hiked in to Logging Lake Foot and the bugs were indeed pretty bad. But then that's the way June usually is.

I prefer GLH for the view almost one mile straight up to the summit of Mount Merritt and the view upvalley of Pyramid Peak.

At GLF I was almost attacked by an owl while out doing some business in the middle of the night. Scarred the bejeezes out of me! :!: :!: :!:
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
patreidy

Post by patreidy »

Ok, I'm finally motivated to make my first post. I know it made several people's "least favorite trail" lists, but I think Cracker Lake is one of the most beautiful BC campgrounds in the Park, especially in the early season when too much snow prevents the horse parties from getting there.
I also think that Gable Creek (GAB) is a pretty decent campground. If you hit the wildflowers right, those meadows around the Belly River ranger Station are incredible. Without out the flowers, you're simply stuck with great views. Another tough day in Glacier.
Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Kathy »

patreidy wrote:Ok, I'm finally motivated to make my first post. I know it made several people's "least favorite trail" lists, but I think Cracker Lake is one of the most beautiful BC campgrounds in the Park.......
Even though I'm a "views-hiker", I personally think Cracker Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in the Park!
patreidy wrote:Without out the flowers, you're simply stuck with great views. Another tough day in Glacier.
Yeah.....'cause that sucks. :lol:

Even though it looks like you joined the Page a while back, "Welcome!" to your first post! :D
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

patreidy wrote:I also think that Gable Creek (GAB) is a pretty decent campground. If you hit the wildflowers right, those meadows around the Belly River ranger Station are incredible. Without out the flowers, you're simply stuck with great views. Another tough day in Glacier.
Another time when the Gable Creek site is pretty incredible is on late September when all the aspens in that area are a bright gold with a crystal clear blue sky above. Not many flowers then but as you say there are "great views."
Perry R

Post by Perry R »

Oh, so many to choose from and so many suggestions!!

A favorite of mine is Lake Isabel. The solitude is amazing, there's great fishing, and absolutely gorgeous.

However, if open and you have adequate transportation (two cars, one parked at Kintla Lake and one at Bowman Lake), go from Kintla Lake to Boulder Pass, camp out and then descend to Bowman Lake. This area of the park's pristine and grizzly bears are abound around Hole In The Wall campground so you have some wonderful wildlife viewing opportunities.

If you need a visual aid, I have a video posted of the area surrounding Boulder Pass campground.

Enjoy your trip!!! No matter what you choose, it's sure to be fantastic!

Regards,

Perry
klinkj

Post by klinkj »

This is the second time I've read about the bugs at Waterton Lake campsite. Does anyone suggest using mosquito netting (hood type), or just really strong bug spray? Also, I was dismayed to read about Mokowanis Junction. I have a reservation for that site in August...is it really that bad?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Someone who visits a particular area and experiences a severe bug problem is more likely to report that than someone who did experience those same discomforts. Case in point is Mokowanis Junction. I've been there when the bugs were horrible and also when there was no problem. Same for Brown Pass.

Bug problems (flies, mosquitos, ticks etc.) are usually short duration events. Of course if you are there at the wrong time you Will remember that and be more likely to post the info. It's hard to predict exactly when the bugs will be bad because it is so dependent on weather, rainfall and the time of snow-melt, but in general:
Mosquitos are bad the first month after snow-melt,
Flies are bad later, and
Ticks are at their worst in May and early June right after warmup but this year is proving the exception.

When expecting that the mosquitos will tough I usually carry a lightweight mosquito netting to put over my head. Otherwise I rely on a bandana draped over the back of my head and neck and held in place with my cap. I would wear long sleeve shirt and long pants when in camp. And I don't go around camp without socks over my feet.

Beyond that we usually just get used to the little buggers and ignore them as much as possible.
klinkj

Post by klinkj »

Thanks for the info about the bugs. But my reference to Mokowanis Junction was in response to someone else's recommendation to never go there because there are no views, etc. It sounded kind of awful. I'm only there one night after a relatively short day, so perhaps a hike up to Mokowanis Lake would be in order?
debbyn
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by debbyn »

Yup-I've heard the same thing about the junction and yes indeedy take a hike to the lake. It is one of my favorite places in Glacier and not many people get that site cuz there's only 2 there. And then go a little further up the waterfalls to Margaret Lake. Some bushwacking but I've been told that place is magical. The day we were supposed to go, I had a killer migraine. So had to skip it.
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Unfortunately, I haven't afforded myself many opportunities to camp in Glacier's backcountry. Working at the Many Glacier Hotel, I've often opted to undertake a few long day hikes and climbs on my days off instead. Thought I would chip in my two cents on the few sites I've stayed at in the park.

Upper Kintla Lake and Hole-in-the-Wall have already been referenced, and they are both fantastic. Hole-in-the-Wall without a doubt has to be one of the finest backcountry sites in the park.

Red Eagle Lake (head) - Nice campground, situated on the edge of the thick forest south of the lake. Probably better views from the campground at Red Eagle's foot (Split Mountain is particularly stunning from this vantage point), but nonetheless, a nice, quaint site. Great beach to hang out at very near the sites and the food prep area. Watched a family of moose at various points in the lake during our two days here. We intended to use this site as base camp for a climb of Red Eagle-Mahtotopa-Little Chief, but our large group got a late start on summit day and we opted to bushwhack the circumference of the lake and spent the day fishing, lounging, and drinking wine.

Ole Lake - Ole Lake is secluded, surprisingly beautiful, and offers fun fishing for small brook trout. We hiked over Firebrand Pass on day 1, leaving us 16 miles along the Ole Creek Trail to the Walton Ranger Station on day 2. Scary ford of Ole Creek in mid July 2008; this trail doesn't see much activity, so the only bridge is found at its southern terminus at the Walton Ranger Sation. Over the entire 24 mile duration of our trip, the only other people we encountered were trail crew. The hike from Ole Lake to Walton is long, and doesn't afford much in the way of scenery, but the forest was lovely, the vegetation thick and interesting, and the few open areas we stopped to rest were truly beautiful.

From the north shore of Ole Lake (campground is near the southwest corner of the lake), Summit Mountain (L) and Little Dog Mountain (R) loom in the distance.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Anders - Thanks. I like the looks of this hike and will put it on my list for a future backpack.
Companion hikers welcome.
What was scary about the scary ford? High water from winter snowmelt and runoff? (Actually, high water could happen at any time.) Did you use a specific technique to cross, such as a rope and presenting narrow side of body to oncoming current?

Marjorie
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Selkie wrote:Anders - Thanks. I like the looks of this hike and will put it on my list for a future backpack.
Companion hikers welcome.
What was scary about the scary ford? High water from winter snowmelt and runoff? (Actually, high water could happen at any time.) Did you use a specific technique to cross, such as a rope and presenting narrow side of body to oncoming current?

Marjorie
Very, very swift, thigh-deep water in mid-July 2008. I was particularly scared because it was my first serious ford, and I had over $1500 worth of new camera gear in my heavy backpack! We did not utilize a rope...
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Great thread. New to this forum, and this is the kind of info I'm looking for. (Thanks Dorf for this thread -- you're right, this is the kind of info that newbies want to know.) I saw another thread asking about schematics for the sites, and responses saying that it wouldn't add much value...and I agree....what I'm looking for is info about the sites: the views and environment in the immediate area, how much the individual sites are on top of each other, if it's cramped to get 2 tents in one site, if there's good fishing, whether it's frequently a high-traffic and "not a backcountry feel" kind of site, etc. etc. etc. (And I do appreciate that the bugs can come and go -- I'm not writing anything off based on bug reviews....or should I?) Thanks all!
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Hi Fairbanks:

Welcome to the chat!

Here is a link to an album with a few pictures of the campsites at Kintla Lake and Upper Kintla Lake that might give you an idea of what GNP's campsites generally look like.
I say generally because they are all obviously going to be different in their details.
However, they all have the basic features in common such as:

Food prep area
Food hanging pole/wire
Outhouse
Campsite areas
water source

here is the link. Click on the pictures for a brief description of the picture
http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... Campsites/

Maybe others can post some pictures and descriptions of other campsites around the park

pocketlint :wink:
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Great pics! I might have even seen those already. (I've read tons of your posts all over this board -- very helpful!)

But yes, it's those details and variations (and pics) that are so helpful. Knowing what sites have the stunning views, good spacing, great fishing, etc....or on the other hand, the sites that are cramped, not too exciting, but functional.

My only backcountry trip in Glacier was many years ago. I know from BOW-BRO-HOL that all of the sites share the same basics and appear to be equals on the map, and yet by looking at the map would you know the difference between BRO and HOL? To me, BRO is only for necessity, but HOL is incredible, in terms of the view and setting.

Thanks for the response!

Return to “Camping”