Flathead County enters Stage II fire restrictions

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Supersonic_Blimp
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Region 1 enters Stage II fire restrictions

Post by Supersonic_Blimp »

Is this early in the season for these or is this typical? I seem to remember seeing them the past few years, but thought it was usually more in the August time frame.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Region 1 enters Stage II fire restrictions

Post by daveparker »

Normally it is a little later in the season, the last time I remember these types of restrictions this early was 2003, when we had to many fires in the area that you could literally not breath. That was the year that Trapper Creek and Roberts exploded on the 23rd of July, Trapper was a very small fire until the 23 and was being monitored, then the conditions were just right and it went from nothing burning tens of thousands of acres the first day, which is why the area around the Loop trail is burned out.

Roberts happened the same day due to kids playing fireworks the night before on the N. Fork road, it made a run into the old Moose fire area and then turned and came over the ridge behind Apgar and roared down to the bank on Lake MacDonald and is the reason you see all of the burn along the Camas road and down to the shore opposite GTTS.

I hope this year does not play out that way, it is disconcerting the amount of air traffic we have flying west over our house heading to active fires west of Kalispell.

It is very dry out there right now, so please be careful if you are here or will be visiting in the near future.

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”