Cloud Peak WY

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mxfuel
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Cloud Peak WY

Post by mxfuel »

We are wanting to climb Cloud Peak in WY. We are looking for some insight on if the plan is doable. The plan is to arrive in Buffalo WY on a Friday to spend the night. Sat. early morning arrive at the Tensleep trailhead and hike to Mistymoon Lake for the night. Looks like you may be able to camp a little futher up. Would this be worth it? Early Sunday, hike to the top to summit Cloud Peak and return back to the trailhead. Sunday night at Sheridan WY. Drive back home on Monday. Any other sights or short hikes we need to see in the Bighorn Wilderness? Do we need to hang our food since it is black bear country? What would be a reasonable timeframe for this hike so that the snow is at least almost gone (mid July-I know each year can be different)?
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Cloud Peak WY

Post by dorf »

Your plan should work just fine. I did this during the last week of July after a good snow year and had no difficulty.

The only thing I'd suggest is to go beyond Mistymoon for your first night. If you can do another 2-2.5 miles you'll be better off. Head towards Lake Solitude. When you're above the big wet meadow (you'll know it when you see it) head toward the falls. You'll find the climbers trail at the top of the falls. I have no idea if this trail is easily followed or not because we went at Cloud Peak from the opposite direction. BTW, there's a good spot to camp about a half mile above the falls in a small meadow. This is where we first found the climbers trail if memory serves. Anyway, If you lose the trail don't worry---just keep following Paint Rock Creek upstream until you get to the first stream coming down from your left. Follow that stream up a very flat but wet bench. You could also camp up on the bench.

From this point it's basically a walk up to the summit. We did it in about 3.5 hours but with a lot of pecking off along the way, made it back down in less than an hour. From the flat but wet bench you've got about 4-4.5 hours back to the trailhead.

I"m not sure if you'll have the time to see much else while you're there but if you get the chance stop at Pistol Pete's in Buffalo for their breakfast burrito smothered in green chili. I'm not sure where you're coming from but if you've got the time you can't go wrong driving through Shell Canyon, Tensleep Canyon or stopping at the Medicine Wheel.

FWIW, I've never hung my food in that area of the CPW

photos:
http://www.dorfworld.net/backcountry/ba ... hotos.html
So many mountains, so little time.
mxfuel
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Cloud Peak WY

Post by mxfuel »

Thanks for the info, it was great. I was wondering if they had specific spots to camp but it looks like I can just pick a spot. I think that I will try to camp somewhere above Mistymoon Lake so that I will have less miles on the second day after summiting.

I didn’t think about the mosquitos. I maybe should try to go a little earlier in July than you to avoid them. But then again it sounds like some of your nights were pretty cold.

I will be coming from Bismarck ND so I will have less miles than you and I will be on the interstate north of where you came in.

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”