Moderators: Tara, Kathy

Selkie
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

2020 alternatives; Protected Areas database; more

Post by Selkie »

I am starting this thread as a place to look for alternatives in case summer 2020 Glacier plans don't materialize, and in the hope that Ear Mountain's thread on Glacier closures (and, one hopes, eventual reopening) can remain tightly focused.
COVID-19 not only has legs, it has jet engines.
Glacier aficionados are expert in developing plans B and C. :D

Here is the Protected Areas Database for the United States:
http://www.protectedlands.net/map/
Not all Protected Areas have public access. However, you may find some surprising alternatives near you. You can get quite granular with the map; someone mentioned the one-acre green space required in his development showed up.

Here is the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Research Center site, which produces the data used by others:
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
The United States has the highest numbers (yes, I know: related to country size, population density, apt versus house living, ports of entry, and so forth). An article somewhere on the site identifies human movement over large distances as a major cause of viral spread.

Some running/walking events are offering remote participation. Kingdom Games in northern Vermont is one such: the annual Dandelion Run will now be a postal. Run, bike or walk on your home territory May 16-24 and email the distance to the race director. Register in advance and you will be mailed a bib. (For New Englanders, I've done this walk IRL, and it's a hoot -- bluegrass bands along the route, Quebecois fiddlers, Irish fiddlers, cows, and fields of dandelions.) I will look for a good link.
Last edited by Selkie on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Selkie
Donator
Donator

Re: 2020 alternatives; Protected Areas database; more

Post by Selkie »

Here is the info on the Dandelion Run/Walk/Bike:
https://conta.cc/2XrMLNZ
The story as to how it came about is at the end of the document, and explains why the requested commitment of $1 per mile goes to Umbrella.
Otherwise, no registration fees, and you get your own bib.
:arrow:
Would be interested to hear of other postal or distant-participation events.

calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

That protected lands map is amazing! I never knew anything like that existed. I could zoom in close enough to see my house! And found a lot of areas that are possible for hiking closer to me than I knew. Thanks for posting this link.
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Selkie
Donator
Donator

Post by Selkie »

Quite welcome!
Yes, many shorter hikes, pocket parks, wetlands and woodlands to explore.