Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Heavy snow at East Glacier

Post by llholmes1948 »

Link to article in the Inter Lake. All East Glacier laundromats reported to be buried in snow and cannot be found:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/local_new ... et_of_snow
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Heavy snow at East Glacier

Post by joybird »

:shock:
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Post by Jay w »

Wish we'd get that. I was just shoveling snow on a trail on a local golf course. We have just enough snow to ski on the golf courses, but I wouldn't use good skis.

Four feet sounds about right (and I'm tired of high temps below zero).

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jay w wrote:Wish we'd get that. I was just shoveling snow on a trail on a local golf course. We have just enough snow to ski on the golf courses, but I wouldn't use good skis.

Four feet sounds about right (and I'm tired of high temps below zero).

Jay
Plenty of snow on the West side for skiing. Come on out!
This was last Sunday, December 31st. Same slideshow link I should have posted in the Lake McDonald thread---now fixed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98975350@ ... 2161569577

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Nice shots. the snow makes me jealous. We have about 3" and it's getting old and the weather is going to warm up (and melt the snow). Normally we get most of our snow before Jan 1st, and if it comes in March, it thaws in a couple days (no grooming). So it looks like this year is (another) bust.

We're kicking around ideas about coming out in Jun since I can't nail down a reservation at MG campground. I hate the new system!!

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

We were skiing at whitefish from the 27th to the 30th and drove the south boundary of the park via Marias Pass to Browning on the 30th... GREAT skiing and and we thought about staying another night rather than heading out into the storm but we couldn’t extend our accommodations. By late morning on the 30th the storm wasn’t so bad - it never seemed to be snowing hard but just steady.

The real challenge was the fresh snow was so dry that whenever a big 18 Wheeler would pass in the opposite direction it would whip up all the snow from the side of be road and you couldn’t see squat for a few seconds! There was also a brief squall (wind/snow event) just before Essex that was brutal in terms of visibility and snowdrifts at the side of they highway were edging right onto the highway... there were crews ploughing, right on top of the situation, though. Very pretty but it was a tough drive. Kudos to crew clearing the snow through the park, they have a tough job!

When we got to east glacier we were exhausted mentally from the driving and we thought about crashing there (they got some snow for sure but didn’t seem worse than anywhere else we drove through). It was CRAZY cold in east glacier though (-28 C). The drive went significantly better from that point, less traffic and little blowing snow. There is a surprising amount of big rig traffic on that little highway. You certainly notice it when it is snowy!

The temps were crazy cold past Snowslip up to Canada... it was nice for skiing at Whitefish -10 C (14 F) but just frigid further north... -28 C (-18 F) at East glacier...

Return to “Weather”