Summer snow?

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

elscout198
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Summer snow?

Post by elscout198 »

Heavy rain and snow above 6,500 feet anticipated tonight through Thursday in and around Glacier National Park. Please be prepared for inclement weather if visiting the park this week. (JUNE 16, 2014)

Precipitation will be mainly rain over Marias Pass; however, a mix of rain and snow is possible Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Heavy snow will cause hazardous outdoor travel and recreation conditions across the higher elevations. Additionally, flooding of streams and creeks, and mudslides and debris flows will be possible in mountains areas as periods of heavy rain are expected with some areas potentially receiving in excess of 4 to 5 inches of precipitation

from https://www.facebook.com/US.NationalWea ... fref=photo
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Summer snow?

Post by poky5mom »

We are in line for crazy thunderstorms & tornadoes today & tomorrow - our temp just dropped from 83 to 67 - twin tornadoes hit a town in Nebraska - our sirens have gone off - sounds like the same thing for tomorrow - I would rather have snow!
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Good news, Summer starts next week.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

elscout198 wrote:Heavy rain and snow above 6,500 feet anticipated tonight through Thursday in and around Glacier National Park. Please be prepared for inclement weather if visiting the park this week. (JUNE 16, 2014)

Precipitation will be mainly rain over Marias Pass; however, a mix of rain and snow is possible Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Heavy snow will cause hazardous outdoor travel and recreation conditions across the higher elevations. Additionally, flooding of streams and creeks, and mudslides and debris flows will be possible in mountains areas as periods of heavy rain are expected with some areas potentially receiving in excess of 4 to 5 inches of precipitation

from https://www.facebook.com/US.NationalWea ... fref=photo
This would not be summer snow. Despite what the rest of the country is experiencing summer has not yet come to Montana. Officially summer arrives next week but in reality Montana's summer begins around the Fourth of July. The forecast snow will be just one more spring snow storm. :roll:

With regards to summer snow, yes it does happen. I've been snowed on in every month of the year in Montana. When visitors ask me what to bring for clothes I always tell them winter in never more than a day or two away.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Littlejohn Dsgn

Post by Littlejohn Dsgn »

Glacier seams to get the same weather we get here in Portland just a day or two later. We just got slammed with rain yesterday, Portland has a combined sewage / runoff system that overflowed into the Willamete river :shock: and people wonder why we dont take our boat out of the Columbia and into the Willamete.

Waiting for July 4th to hit here as well, as that is when our summer starts.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Littlejohn Dsgn wrote:Glacier seams to get the same weather we get here in Portland just a day or two later. We just got slammed with rain yesterday, Portland has a combined sewage / runoff system that overflowed into the Willamete river :shock: and people wonder why we dont take our boat out of the Columbia and into the Willamete.

Waiting for July 4th to hit here as well, as that is when our summer starts.
One who lives in Texas where summer seems to have started in April this year (except for a few really odd days) forgets Glacier is way North :oops:
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

I am sitting here watching a rain and snow mix, I never forget that Glacier is Far North.

LOL

:D

:mrgreen:
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Well the rain an snow mix has now turned in to a heavy wet snow, so in the AM will be interesting, the last time this happened, I was taking pictures of humming birds with an inch of snow on their heads while they were sitting on the feeders! Man I love Montana!

:arrow:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Flooding on the East side and snow:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/loca ... 963f4.html
Jen

Post by Jen »

I heard there might be 3 feet of fresh snow at Logan Pass. :)
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I wish I was out there for this, but maybe not in a tent. I also want to see a fall storm on Lake Superior.

Cool beans.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

really tough on the folks camping and hiking. been there, done that in glacier. hiked up stony indian pass, the trail was a river.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Jay w wrote:I wish I was out there for this, but maybe not in a tent. I also want to see a fall storm on Lake Superior.

Cool beans.

Jay
No you don't Jay, it is not a pretty picture right now, really messy right now, been a while since we went through this.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

The latest e-mail from the park's public relations office:
Just a quick update on what's happening at the park as it relates to weather-

St. Mary Campground Closed due to standing and running water, and debris from Wild Creek and other run-off water. There were approximately 10 campers at the St. Mary Campground last night, and all left this morning on their own, prior to campground closure.

Access to the Kintla Lake area closed at the head of Big Prairie - 7 miles north of the Polebridge Entrance in the North Fork District of the park. Travel in the North Fork area of Glacier National Park is not advised at this time. There is standing water in several areas.

Red Eagle Lake Trailhead, near the 1913 Historic Ranger Station near St. Mary is closed.

Sand bags were deployed in the administrative area of St. Mary on the east side of Glacier National Park, responding to rising/flooding Divide Creek.

Pre-evacuation planning underway for the St. Mary area of National Park Service administrative and housing areas (approx 30-40 people), and for the Many Glacier Hotel area. No evacuations have been initiated at this time!

No work is being conducted on plowing the Going-to-the-Sun Road at this time. Crews moved plowing equipment to lower locations yesterday as snow began to fall and more snow was predicted.

NPS employees are at Sperry Chalet conducting seasonal preparation activities and report 14-16 inches of snow since Tuesday morning. It was snowing again this morning at Sperry Chalet. Sperry Chalet is located on the west side of the park, near the Continental Divde.

Park personnel continue to montitor and access the situation across the park, making preparations in the event of any evacuations and staging equipment to respond as needed. Park personnel are in regular communication with the National Weather Service. All visitors are encouraged to use caution during this time of increased mositure.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

The park also sent along a couple of photos that were taken at Sperry Chalet this morning:

Return to “Weather”