Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

susan
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Weather changing for 8/14-8/21

Post by susan »

Hello all,

Just checked the website for West Glacier weather for next week. It's the one you advised, Pocketlint! What a bummer. Looks like cold and rainy for much of the week.

Can somebody cheer me up on this one?????????????????? Ya wait for a year and right up til the time ya leave it's hot, dry, sunny. Then the picture is exactly the opposite. Durn it!!! Even though I will pack for rain, it certainly doesn't make hiking in that environment very inviting....and yet there isn't an alternative if one has waited for a year, or even 2 years!! ....Sperry Chalet and Sperry Glacier in the rain........

Need some positive outlooks!!!!! I don't mind a rainy day or two, but the majority of a week? Ugly.....I feel for all of the other chatters who will be there at the same time and who looked forward to good weather....I know, it's the luck of the draw and I pulled the short straw!!! :(

Sue
Pocketlint

Re: Weather changing for 8/14-8/21

Post by Pocketlint »

Hey Susan:

I think you misread that report.
Tuesday of next week may suck and rain, and it will be cooler, but I don't necessarily see a lot of rain in the current forecast.
The "cooler" part will actually be a nice change.
Better chances of seeing wildlife during daylight hours when it's cooler.
Sperry and Granite Park Chalets should be great places to stay. Ask for the extra blankets they provide 8)
Too early to be bummed !!

pocketlint :wink:
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by isleroyaleguy »

I say think positive. If forecasts there are like they are here in MN. they are rarely right on. You could look at 5 forecasts for the same area and they would all be different. Think happy thoughts you will be fine and the sun will shine 8)

IRG
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Awww SUE,

Don't Despair...not when its so close!!

1) The day we did Gunsight, it was cool (Mike thinks not over 70). So all that moisture in the foliage was cool and shaded....that made for great hiking conditions. When I know I've got 14 miles to put in....I'm not looking for 80's or 90's.

2) Several of the photos I've posted with jewel-like blue skies....resulted after very "iffy" looking mornings. Staying up at Granite, so close to the continental divide, there was a morning and separate evening where the clouds moved so fast as to spill over the mountaintops....I started to assume the worst. Later that morning by 11 a.m., we had the great pictures that you saw from PL's post up at Grinnell Glacier Overlook. The evening where a similar cloud event occurred, a few hours later it was a stunningly clear/calm night, one of the best nights for stars.

3) Our day up to Grinnell Glacier was completely overcast, a heavy gray blanket hung over Mt. Gould. Honestly, it had that elusive, smokey, mysteriousness that offered surreal views. It surprised me, I loved it.

4) Out of a 4 day backpack in the Belly, 2 of the days had weather issues, rainstorms went from afternoon to late in the night. Mike had to get up at midnight to dig a trench away from the tent, the water was accumulating nearly to the point of seeping in! We hardly remember that part now & you saw our pics of Mokowanis, Margaret and Cosley.

5) The day we hiked out to Chief Mtn, I was carrying about 36 lbs, Mike over 40 with his camera equipment. It was 53 degrees, drizzling and breezy the whole time. It was SOOoo helpful to do the 10 miles in those conditions....the three of us commented numerous times about how lucky we were to have such cool!

When I got out there, I resolved not to look at the forecast, knowing how quickly things change in the mountains. Atleast hold off thinking seriously about the forecast until you're within a day or two. Glacier always offers up its magic in ways that surprise and amaze!!!

Hang in there now...and get packin'!!!!! Tam :P :arrow: :P :arrow: :P :arrow: :P :arrow: :P :arrow: :P
susan

Post by susan »

Thanks for the info Tammy et. al.! I am packing away!!! Will keep all in perspective. Didn't realize you guys had rain to contend with. All those pics looked like they were gorgeous days!!! Great advice from all of you!! And yes, it is better to have cooler weather when hiking with a backpack, albeit a daypack!

Sue
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

42 this morning in st mary! big change from ATL
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

I am looking forward to cloudy skies, high spirits, and some elevating!
Cloudless days with the sun beating down mercilessly are difficult to hike in. No shade on the ridges, get parched, need water - gurgle - fall down - pant - heat stroke :shock: Marmots carry off your supplies and eat them - Something higher up on the food chain stands up, sniffs the air -

Ahem, I got carried away there. :D

You'll just miss the August 24-26 singularity of blizzard and whiteout! Now, that's fun hiking weather!
:arrow:

The weather can turn on a dime, and is often different at different elevations or from one side of the park to the other. Being flexible is key. And pie for strength.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

It was indeed cool this morning (Thursday) but by late morning it's was again fairly warm withclear skies. Forecast is for warm weather again with precip possible next Tuesday and Wednesday.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

for me, rain is always welcome at glacier in august.
susan

Post by susan »

Hi Pete and fellow chatters!!!

We are finally back from a great trip to GNP!!! Thanks so much to you, Pete, for guiding us on that wonderful Siyeh-Sunrift Gorge hike!! We wouldn't have wanted to do it any other way!!! The weather from August 16-22 was awesome, and with the number of days hiking we had done, we decided against the Dragon's Tail hike on the 22nd. Evidently it was a good move on our part, but I will let Marie fill in the details later on that one!!!

Pete, hope you got the bearspray and we wanted to know how the cut on your hand turned out! Hopefully ok!

Doesn't seem possible we are back home to heat and humidity. Glacier just has that aura of beauty and majestic grandeur about it that absolutely no other place can match!

It will take some time to figure out picture sizing, downloading, etc. so be patient. We took close to 400!!! Gives something to do this fall!!!

Take care, Pete, Marie, Tammie, Ken (Chip), Dino. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting all you chatters on that Siyeh hike!!!!!

Thanks for a wonderful memory!

Sue and Paul
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Hey Sue!!

It was a pleasure to hike with you and Paul!!
I'm glad you could join us on the Siyeh hike.
I did a short report with a few snapshots
http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/ph ... =11&t=7170
Looking forward to seeing pictures from y'all...which I KNOW will be better than mine :)
My hand is healing up fine thanks to Ken's good work.
And yes, I got the bear spray. I now have a nice loaner supply thanks to you, Tammy, and others.
And The Dragon's Taill will still be here when you next return here to GNP
Again, the pleasure of meeting you and Paul was..
all mine. :D

Pete :wink:

Return to “Weather”