Weather in August

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kathym
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Weather in August

Post by Kathym »

Will be at Glacier 8/11 thru 8/18 what is the weather like at this time? Have always visited in late June early July.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Weather in August

Post by Hockey Ref »

Glacier's August weather generally is very nice with warm daytime temps and cool evenings (sweater weather). However, it can get into the 90s and be blisteringly hot, or it can get cool (or even cold, depending on elevation gain) during the days, so be prepared for anything.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

You can always find the info under "history" as intellicast.com or weather.com, but usually people coming to Glacier are coming from warm climates. So when you've been out in the sun all day, have a beer, and sit at the campsite at 52F, it feels damn cold. There's a reason it's called Glacier National Park. For some reason I alway freeze my fanny off and I'm from MN. Quite often after my shower I put on a long sleeve T, a sweatshirt, a winter jacket, jeans and windpants over the jeans and I'm about right when I crack the second beer. Remove the thick sweatshirt or the windpants and I need to be on my feet walking around. This may be just me and my slow resting heartrate (generally below 50) since my wife is not such a freeze baby.....but a thick sweatshirt can feel awfully nice when you're car camping.

OTOH, a few years ago if was frickin' hot, even until 8-9 pm.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Always unpredictable! You need to be equally prepared for the possibility of 90-degree sunshine days and 50-degree rain days ... or even a chance of snow if you're up in the high country. (I got caught in a blizzard at 50 Mountain one year on August 2nd!)

That said, more often than not, the first half of August in Glacier is usually quite nice, though by the third week in August or so one can usually notice the beginnings of a cool down.

Return to “Weather”