Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Weather change this week

Post by Ear Mountain »

Selkie wrote:We got a nice blast. Temp this morning in Chicago is minus 1, wind chill about minus 10.
Wish I were a better XC skier. I'd love to do a winter ski trip of Glacier, Flathead, Yellowstone...
Start by booking a stay at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex. Their guide will teach you how to ski and take you to some unique places. Mark is good and will not get you in over your head unless that's the kind of powder you like. Amtrak's Empire Builder leaves Chicago every afternoon and stops in Essex the next evening.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Ear Mountain wrote:
Selkie wrote:We got a nice blast. Temp this morning in Chicago is minus 1, wind chill about minus 10.
Wish I were a better XC skier. I'd love to do a winter ski trip of Glacier, Flathead, Yellowstone...
Start by booking a stay at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex. Their guide will teach you how to ski and take you to some unique places. Mark is good and will not get you in over your head unless that's the kind of powder you like. Amtrak's Empire Builder leaves Chicago every afternoon and stops in Essex the next evening.
That's a good start, though probably for winter of 2014-2015. Might Izaak Walton also have ski rentals? If not, Sportsman's Ski Haus should, m/b Rocky Mountain Outfitters (though then I would have to transport them). I'll email the source. Thanks for the recommendation!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Selkie wrote:
Ear Mountain wrote:
That's a good start, though probably for winter of 2014-2015. Might Izaak Walton also have ski rentals? If not, Sportsman's Ski Haus should, m/b Rocky Mountain Outfitters (though then I would have to transport them). I'll email the source. Thanks for the recommendation!
Izaak Walton Inn has rental skis, both for backcountry and their groomed trails, they also have snowshoes and ice skates.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

I noticed over on Whitefish Mountain Resorts web site that Whitefish Lake is somewhat frozen. Kinda early in the season for that uh? _ :?
Visit my Glacier NP Photo Gallery and leave comments if you like, thanks!
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Tsmith wrote:I noticed over on Whitefish Mountain Resorts web site that Whitefish Lake is somewhat frozen. Kinda early in the season for that uh? _ :?
Not really, I have seen it freeze up in early Nov before, this year was quite cold early, so there was a lot of ice forming early.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

arctic vortex? 5 degrees in ATL this morning. the Midwest numbers are brutal. coldest weather in 20 years.
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

7 degrees here in South Carolina. Heat pump not made for temps this cold. :?
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

scott-atl wrote:arctic vortex? 5 degrees in ATL this morning. the Midwest numbers are brutal. coldest weather in 20 years.
It was -12 in Indy yesterday and -13 this morning, although we are up to +8 right now. Heat wave! The roads are still a mess from the 12 inches of snow we got on Sunday (on top of six inches already on the ground), very few businesses are open, and my BIL who has been visiting has had his flight canceled each of the last three days.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Elk River MN: HIGH today of -5 but an improvement from yesterday's HIGH of -15 with windchills at -40....but with temps this weekend near 35 it might be time to break out shorts and sandals.
IRG
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

For those in upper Midwest, Northern Lights tonight! (Thursday, Jan. 9).

Return to “Weather”