Moderators: teapot57, Tara

flatlander
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: A Special, Final Message

Post by flatlander »

Andy, your heading was one I hoped I would never read. As evidenced by all of the prior postings, you have touched many by your contributions to this page, and by your obvious love for this Park that so many of us share. I am glad July Guy unofficially renamed the Highline Trail in your honor, and the Hockey Ref Hike will live on in the Chatters for many years to come. You and your family are in my prayers.
flatlander
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Andy,

Beyond sad that one of the most valued chatters is in such a state. Your enthusiasm, wonderful posts, passion for Glacier and contributions to the community here have made you a legend!!!!

I wish you the best as you continue your battle...

Todd
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

Andy,
Compared to many here, our introduction to Glacier came late. But it started right here, with your Q&A. My husband and I had been to Yellowstone several years in a row and wanted a change of pace. We heard about Glacier, and a coworker pointed me to the chat page. And so it began: I read and read. Your Q&A was printed out and folded in my guide book. I counted the days and re-read many of your (and others' posts).

I know there are so many other aspects to your life that you must care for in the coming weeks and months. And those things have long been a part of your life. But it is Glacier that brought you to all of us.

I don't know when I'll make it to the top of a mountain in Glacier - maybe never. But I will toast you, and pray for you, and think of you in the precious moments that I share with my family in the park.

I wish you and your family peace and joy and comfort. Thank you for sharing your love and knowledge of Glacier with us all.

Meg
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Handling yourself with grace and dignity in the face of such a dreadful disease is an example for us all. Will miss your posts and contagious passion for GNP.

"May the road rise up to meet you and the wind be always at your back."
Siyeh

Post by Siyeh »

Andy, we did not know each other. I read this site from time to time, but do not post often. However, your enthusiasm for Glacier and your frequent postings were a buoyant, cheering presence in this world. There must be many, many others who likewise have read your thoughts, and been glad to hear them, people who you are not now hearing from. If your life is measured not only by the impacts that you know about, but also by the impacts you've made but are not aware of, then hopefully you can look back and feel that you have accomplished a full measure on this earth.

As someone else here said, the quiet dignity of your post is also an example for us all.

If all goes as planned, I will be in Glacier in this June this year - and I hope indeed to place a stone on a cairn for you, on Mt. Henkel and hopefully other spots as well, if not your beloved Swiftcurrent Pass.

Take care.
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Andy,

Your enthusiasm and knowledge of Glacier has been a help to many of us. My first trip to Glacier was in 1979 when you were already a veteran of the place. The information you have posted on the Chat Page and the suggestions you have offered to others have helped many have a better experience in the Park. Thanks for all that.

May you have a peaceful journey.

Bill
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Andy,
I am very sorry to hear of the latest turn in the long journey. As the generous heart of the Chat, you have guided countless numbers toward a share of your joy in this special place, with sweeping and longlasting effects.
All the best as you navigate off-trail routes in the coming months,

Marjorie
Babyt413
Donator
Donator

Post by Babyt413 »

Andy,

As many before me have stated, the obvious. The board will have a very empty void moving forward.

I regretfully was not able to meet up with you this past summer when you visited Glacier.

I thank you for your contributions, knowledge and stories I have thoroughly enjoyed reading over the last couple of years since joining this chat board.

My thoughts are with you and your family during this time. Your battle has been an inspiration to many, including myself.

Enjoy every sandwich my friend. Godspeed.

T.J.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Andy, thank you for making my trip to Glacier that much more amazing by so generously sharing your knowledge and your enthusiasm. I wish you and your family peace.
yosemitesam

Post by yosemitesam »

Dear Hockey,

I’m a frequent visitor to the chat page, but I read more then I post. There are certain people I have come to enjoy reading about their escapades in Glacier. For the past several years your posts have been greatly anticipated and I’ve enjoyed reading all of them. You are a friend that I’ve never had the opportunity to meet, yet through your transparent writings I’m sure lots of folks, just like me, feel the same.

One never really knows what God has planned for us. Please stay strong through this difficult time and know that you are not alone. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if the Glacier Angels aren’t rallying beside you at this very moment. I,too, will be praying for you, your health and your family. Please don’t forget that miracles can and do happen. You have lots of love flowing your way!

Sincerely,
Carla
Say what? U talkin' to me? O get a flippin' clue!
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

Andy,

So sorry to hear this news. I remember meeting you with Miranda so many years ago in Indy - you, Laura, and Tim were the first three chatters we met and the beginning of a great support network we had during those years of chemo and treatment. Thanks for your encouragement and I hope we can all do the same for you. With I had better words, but I'll be praying for you, friend.

Jason
~ jason
davegolfer

Post by davegolfer »

Hockey Ref,

It is hard to add anything to what has been written but I will tell a personal story. Our family made our first trip to Glacier in 2008 before discovering this board. Upon our return I discovered this board and read Hockey Ref's 2008 trip report. We were both in Many Glacier Hotel during a hale storm. I spoke to many people during that time and will forever like to think I spoke to Andy even though we never met.

Dave
Ravekid

Post by Ravekid »

Hockey Ref wrote:This is a very special message to my Glacier chat friends:

It's time for me to say farewell.

With that, I'll say so long. May your hikes be filled with scenic wonders and your feet remain dry and blissfully blister-free. And the next time you reach a cairn at the top of a pass, particularly if it's Swiftcurrent Pass, please toss a stone on top for me as well. I'd appreciate it!

Happy trails!

Paul (Andy) Anderson (Hockey Ref)
Hockey Ref,

While I'm not a frequent contributor of this board, your contributions have helped me and numerous others with trips to the area. I'm sadden to hear this news. I'm also from the Indy metro area, and we likely only live within twenty miles of each other. I don't know about everyone else, but messages like this cause me to reflect upon my own life. Later this year I'm planning a hiking focused trip to the Great Smoky Mountains NP. While I've been to the area a handful of times before, this will be my first real hiking trip to anywhere. When I get to the top of LeConte, I will definitely toss a stone upon the cairn that sits at the peak for you. Last night I told my wife that I'm planning a hiking focused Glacier area trip for 2015, and after that Yellowstone, and after that S. Utah, etc.. When that time comes and I'm out on the trail, I'll toss a stone for you then as well.

I also wish you a peaceful journey and wish the best for you and your family.
jnt

Post by jnt »

Hockey Ref,

We are sad to hear the news. Your passion and enthusiasm for Glacier shows in your posts on this board. Thank you for all the information that you have shared. The information helped us, and many others, plan successful trips to GNP. We wish you and your family peace and will keep you in our prayers.

Justine and Tony
JnT
debbyn
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by debbyn »

Andy,
as a mom who just lost my son five weeks ago to this hideous disease, my prayer for you and your family is that you hold these days and hours precious and that the love you all have for each other will surround you and give you all strength, comfort, and peace. My faith tells me your journey is just beginning.
Debby Nelson
Isaiah 40:31

Return to “Hockey Ref's Wisdom”