2017 "Snaps" Around Glacier plus...

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2017 "Snaps" Around Glacier plus...

Post by PeteE »

Here is the link to "Helmet Cam" It is unedited because I really didn't know how to edit it.
I don't mean "technical" editing, but editing to reduce the length, but yet still have continuity....if that makes sense.
Gotta work on that.
So the video may seem a bit boring or tedious.

There's a lot of camera movement because of the cams location on my head.
I like to "see" all around the immediate area...where potential hand and foot holds are available(or are not), possible animals, other people, etc.
Dunno what the pros say, but I believe "situational awareness" is critical, especially when you're alone.

This video will bore the daylights out of the "real climbing community". 8)

But it might interest people who are new to this kind of hiking, and may want to trying "scrambling" some day.
I can describe "exposure"" all day long with still pics and narrative.
However, my video, crude as it may be, will give you a pretty good idea of what moderate Class III scrambling is like.
This section is actually a combination of Class II and Class III.
So you can judge for yourselves what sort of "risk" is involved from your own perspective.
I will tell you this:
There are places on the ShangriLa hike that if you "lose it" and fall, severe injury is certain and death is not out of the question.

So if you are thinking about doing this kind of hike, you really should get competent guidance from someone who is an experienced climber.
(Not your brother-in-law Joe because he once climbed a mountain)

I made an error editing. There is only one part and this is it---35 minutes.
I stopped recording after I was through all the Class III.

I apologize for the "mouth breathing" and "snorting".
25 years of smoking in the past didn't do my respiratory system much good.

Helmet Cam runs 35 minutes.

Pete :wink:

PS
I have a good bit of "conventional lame video" yet to put up.
Working on it now.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

PeteE wrote:
Thanks Jay :) I thought about when we did ShangriLa a couple years ago.
It was hot that time and I was really out of shape.
Thanks for indulging me that trip!

Indulging you? Hah, you're a walking entertainment center. Not to step on your thread, but here's the video from that day.

The email address the kids gave me was dead. Either they screwed up, or they thought I was a creepy old man and deleted the account.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jay w wrote:
Indulging you? Hah, you're a walking entertainment center.
Jay
Hehhehehe!
You think so huh?

Yesterday was a long(13.8miles +-3300ft) and not particularly successful day.
But it was fun as always. I tried to go a different way to the summit of Piegan Mt.
I tried to find a "safe route" through the ledges as per Passmore's book.
Got stymied and ended up spending a lot of time "exploring" a bunch of nasty terrain that added time and mileage.
So now I'm zero for two route finding. :(
Plus I lost my prescription eyeglasses(not the sunglasses). :evil:
The marmots and squirrels are undoubtedly having a good time eating the sweat soaked case !
Nice day and I met some fun people as the case most of the time on a hike like this.
I have to work some today as well as get started on buying new glasses--maybe a style change too 8)

later with more pics and video/

pete :wink:

Last edited by PeteE on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Carlin
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks for the video of Shangri La, Pete! Are you using a GoPro camera?

The last time I did this route, the weather was cold and cloudy and it got worse as I started the climb up the rocks. It started raining and the rocks got quite slippery. I had no choice but to go forward because climbing down would be much worse. I'll never attempt that again in questionable weather!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

The hike up to Piegan pass begins at Siyeh Bend. The bear grass on Piegan/Siyeh pass trail is blooming like crazy--just like the rest of the park.
Those of you who are unable to walk very far should be able to reach this spot It's only a few hundred yards from the car park at the bend.

Still blooming well into the hike.

The meadow areas along the trail are just beginning to "wake up". The next month should be good for flowers in this area. I love paintbrush.

Massive Mt Siyeh dominates the view over this meadow(still in very early bloom stage) in the early morning light.

I hooked up with this fun couple at the creek near the trail junction for Siyeh Pass. They were originally from Wisconsin but recent transplants to Plant City Florida. Plant City is about 25 miles from where I grew up. This was not their first time here they and could go. We walked non stop at a brisk pace from the two small remaining snow fields(right behind me in this pic) to Piegan Pass. I felt pretty good about that. After resting and enjoying the views at the pass they were on their way to Siyeh Pass and hiking to Sunrift Gorge.

This is part of the huge "permanent" snow field at Piegan Pass. It's MUCH larger than in past years. I slid down on the far right part of it in this shot.

After stopping very briefly at the pass, I began the walk up the hill to find the goat path that traverses over to the Pollack/Piegan pass. Basically you just walk up the hill to about 8000ft. You'll see small cairns and the path will be obvious. If you can't find the goat trail, return to your car and go play golf. 8)
I would recommend that those who like hiking to Piegan Pass extend your hike to the Pollack/Piegan Pass if you can. The extra hour and 500ft of elv. gain are well worth it.

On the goat trail looking down Cataract Creek drainage. The Piegan Pass trail winds down through this area on the way to the Many Glacier Hotel

Just before reaching the saddle where the ascent to Piegan begins. The view of the Logan Pass area is stunning as you walk up to this pass.

Stats when I reached the pass.

More later...working on it.

George Carlin
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Scenery fabulous! Snow slide looked interesting. Sorry about your glasses. Always expensive to replace; however new frames might be fun.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

paul wrote:Thanks for the video of Shangri La, Pete! Are you using a GoPro camera?

Thanks Paul. It's fun using that thing.
Yeah, it's an old one I bought in 2011. Very basic one.
I was going to use it this hike but I left the bolt in place and it came out somewhere on the hike to the pass :twisted:

The last time I did this route, the weather was cold and cloudy and it got worse as I started the climb up the rocks. It started raining and the rocks got quite slippery. I had no choice but to go forward because climbing down would be much worse. I'll never attempt that again in questionable weather!

Going up that rock would not be fun when wet, but I know what you mean about down climbing it. Nothing for it but keep on going!
On another subject....

I'm a "novice" at this scrambling/climbing(for me) stuff. ShangriLa is a different kind of scramble from going up Piegan.
The way up ShangriLa is "well worn" in a sense. There aren't but a few ways up for most of us.

Piegan is a different matter....at least I think so.

Once you get to the saddle and begin, you realize how large this mountain is and how many potential routes there could be.
Passmore, in a pic of the beginning of the climbing part, shows a red line that points you up into the cliff/ledges and says, "Find a safe route up..."
So up I went...The deal is what's a safe route can vary a lot from person to person.

I don't have the flexibility or the strength I used to have. Plus my pack was a hindrance at times on my skinny(6'4"/170 frame).
Gotta be careful in tight spots when turning and moving around. I've had my pack nearly knock me off a ledge several times in the past.
I forget it's there and turn my back on a rock wall and it nearly knocks me off the ledge.

And this potential route was full of places like that. I could see where a decent mountaineer or rock climber would have no trouble getting up and through some of those pitches, but not me. I simply don't have the strength and agility required.
Whatever people believe about the risks I take doing this stuff alone, I'm not crazy. 8)
I know my limits....and I reached them yesterday.

I spent some time after being stymied just getting down and out from where I stopped.
And this gets to the point about trying a route like this. Up in those cliffs and ledges there are countless LARGE rocks and rock slabs of every size and description lying around in all manner of precarious positions. You have to be extremely careful about everything you touch, let alone "grab".
Lest you dislodge a rock big enough to injure you badly. Or step on a rock and it "tilts" or slides out from under your foot.
I was really, really careful about moving around for the next 30 minutes working my way back down to "friendlier" terrain---friendlier being a relative term. 8)
You just can't make mistakes scrambling around in that environment. Helmets are a must, and an experienced partner would be best for finding a shorter way up through the ledges---for me anyhow.

So from now on, I will stick to the basic route that I did with DanLowery last year. We avoided the area I was in yesterday and got up there in good time.
This was my 4th time up there and I always learn something new.

Walking on all manner of steep(ish) terrain that ranges from big slabs and boulders down to small slabs, scree "shingles" and loose small stuff...
Well it sure works on my legs!! This is not terrain for those with questionable knees or ankles.
Sometimes it was hard to find a place level and stable enough to just rest a moment.
There are several miles of walking in that stuff going up. and then back down.
I'm sure the physical experience helped me toughen up to have a better experience the next time. 8)

I'm feeling pretty strong recently. Yesterday after getting back down to the Pollack/Piegan pass, I put on some knee braces, the black neoprene heavy duty type.
I took some ibuprofen as well. The combo made a big difference. My right LCL which has been "twingey" lately with all the downhill hiking I've done.
I felt great going down this time. No pain or cramping afterwards. I also brought coconut milk to drink along with water. Better than GatorAid...imo. Fewer carbs and better electrolyte content.
Anyway my legs feel good today.

I know, blah blah blah....

later
pete

George Carlin
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

PeteE wrote:...I felt great going down this time. No pain or cramping afterwards. I also brought coconut milk to drink along with water. Better than GatorAid...imo. Fewer carbs and better electrolyte content.
Pete,
You're correct about Gatoraid.
imo GatorAid has too many simple sugars, is too sweet and does not contain enough electrolytes of the correct type. I use Hammer Nutrition products such as Hammer Gel, Heed, Fizz, Perpetuem and, sometimes, Recoverite. Energy is from complex carbohydrates and there is a great mix of electrolytes that Hammer calls "Endurolytes." Flavoring is kept to a minimum and it's a Montana company.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
ND

Post by ND »

Just watched your Shangri La helmet cam video. I really enjoyed it and you pretty well covered the route up close and personal. haha Also liked your commentary along the way.

I have to say something about helmet cams in general. If I just saw this video, I would say there is no way I could do this hike and scramble. Every time I peeked over your right or left shoulder and looked down it scared the crap out of me. I am no friend of 'exposure' :lol: However, I have accompanied you on this hike before. 2013 I think. The only time I was 'really' nervous was when we crossed around that dang tree and now that has been taken care of. I had a bit of apprehension crossing a snow field on the other side not shown on your video. I think that varies year to year anyway. So what I am saying is if I can do this almost anyone can. I would still need your guidance to do it though. I think helmet cam perspectives might throw people off a little bit. This is no way criticizing your video at all Pete, it was fun to watch and very informative. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. :wink:
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

ND wrote:Just watched your Shangri La helmet cam video. I really enjoyed it and you pretty well covered the route up close and personal. haha Also liked your commentary along the way.

Thanks Ken :) It was fun to make.

I have to say something about helmet cams in general. If I just saw this video, I would say there is no way I could do this hike and scramble. Every time I peeked over your right or left shoulder and looked down it scared the crap out of me. I am no friend of 'exposure' :lol: However, I have accompanied you on this hike before. 2013 I think. The only time I was 'really' nervous was when we crossed around that dang tree and now that has been taken care of. I had a bit of apprehension crossing a snow field on the other side not shown on your video. I think that varies year to year anyway. So what I am saying is if I can do this almost anyone can. I would still need your guidance to do it though. I think helmet cam perspectives might throw people off a little bit. This is no way criticizing your video at all Pete, it was fun to watch and very informative. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. :wink:
No worries Ken, I know you weren't being critical in a negative way.
You're right . Making a video like that "over dramatizes" shots like those looking down...partly due to the wide angle lens.
That said, I believe you would agree that falling from any number of places on that section of the hike would not end well.
As for the snow crossings. they can be a problem if you're not paying attention....as I well know. 8)

I'm glad you guys had fun that day.
And if y'all decide Piegan is something you want to try this year, we'll go the way I went last year.
Just keep in mind that even the "easy" route is a real "joint tester"...
A lot of walking, traversing through all that crappy scree and slabby loose rock below the summit ridge.
The days are long enough so that we'll have plenty of time. We'll go slow...enjoy the incredible views :D

Loosing my glasses has turned into a major hassle. I won't receive a new pair until July 25 earliest..GMS week.
I can get by outside ok since I still have my prescription sunglasses. And I can still do my work with "readers" even though it's a pain in the backside.
I do have a hard time reading fine print in books or my Kindle with "readers".
My glasses weren't lost. I took them out of my lower cargo pocket when I rolled up my pant leg to put on knee supports.
Never noticed the black case lying in the rocks when I left :(
Stupid boy....

George Carlin
ND

Post by ND »

That said, I believe you would agree that falling from any number of places on that section of the hike would not end well.
Absolutely, agree.

I was speaking about the use of helmet cams in general terms. For me, I think the narrow scope of the view at close distance affects (like when you were actually climbing) the way I perceived the terrain. That's just the nature of the cams IMO only. Or maybe my memory isn't so good from my hike with you and I made a conscious effort not to look down much. Could be your video is the first time I have seen what was behind me! :lol: . You are right though. Keep your mind on what you're doing and take your time.

Yup, definitely interested in Piegan.

Too bad about your glasses. Wow, I am surprised it will take that long to replace them. That stinks! :(
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

ND wrote:
Absolutely, agree.

I was speaking about the use of helmet cams in general terms. For me, I think the narrow scope of the view at close distance affects (like when you were actually climbing) the way I perceived the terrain. That's just the nature of the cams IMO only. Or maybe my memory isn't so good from my hike with you and I made a conscious effort not to look down much. Could be your video is the first time I have seen what was behind me! :lol: . You are right though. Keep your mind on what you're doing and take your time.

"Camera distortion" is responsible for some of that. Regarding "looking down",,,
I know it makes a lot of people queasy. I'm very fortunate that looking down from heights doesn't bother me...so far 8) Maybe I don't get around enough?
If for no other reason, I look down a lot "climbing" because I wear size 14 boots. I want to know where I can, and can't put my foot sometimes. Plus, occasionally, the "view" has a real "wow" factor.

Yup, definitely interested in Piegan.

OK
:arrow:

Too bad about your glasses. Wow, I am surprised it will take that long to replace them. That stinks! :(

Yeah, but "it is what it is" as the wag once said.
I could go to LensCrafters and get a pair in 24-48 hours....
if I wanted to spend $300.00+(glasses start at $299.00) excluding prescription cost, ~69.00 at Waddle World
That won't happen.
See ya next month Ken!
Last edited by PeteE on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here is some lame video from my hike.
After looking at the "book" and the video, I think I may have misinterpreted the directions.

The video starts at the pass between Pollack and Piegan.
Runs 11:20 minutes

One thing the video does is illustrate the "rotten rock" that the mountaineers talk about when it comes to climbing/scrambling in Glacier Park.
I got a little taste of that.
8)
http://www.glaciermountaineers.com/memb ... ations.htm

George Carlin
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Great video!!!

Wonderful views and a "how to" and "how not to" do Piegan.

Bit windy up there!!!
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

More great pictures, Pete.

I know I am a few days behind on this but I enjoyed the update on Shangri-la. the trip through the woods looks a bit more challenging with the trees down.

Return to “Photography”