Best Light for Photos

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Best Light for Photos

Post by Carol Lynn »

I'm working on my itinerary for Glacier July 2015 :D . I already have my park hotel reservations and now I'm planning my day hikes. I always want to do my hiking when the light will be best for photography since I am an avid hobby photographer. So I'm asking for advice on what time of day I should do these treks:

1) Avalanche Lake - I read somewhere that the lake area is in shadows in the morning so it is best to get to the lake in the afternoon. Does this sound correct from your experience? And if so, by "afternoon" would that be like 4:00ish or what?

2) Highline Trail to Haystack Butte and return - I want to be able to get good photos shooting down into the valley as I walk the trail. I don't have any idea when the best time would be for this hike.

Thanks so much for your help. This will be my second trip to the Park and I want to be more prepared for this trip so I get some better photos.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Best Light for Photos

Post by Selkie »

These are excellent questions and I hope somebody can help.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Best Light for Photos

Post by llholmes1948 »

I think afternoon would be best for Avalanche and I think 3-5 P.M. would be fine. I have never been to Avalanche in the early evening, 7 P.M. or so, but I would think that might be great. Hopefully someone who has actually been there in the evening can advise you.

I would also think late afternoon or early evening would be great for a Logan Pass - Haystack Butte hike. It can be just spectacular when the sun is setting and shining on the Garden Wall. However the valley may start to be in shadows late in the afternoon. Being at Granite Park in the evening is just superb but it helps to be staying there so you don't get caught on the trail in the dark.

If your time in the Park allows for it, you can experiment with the lighting conditions. Hike to Avalanche one afternoon at 3 P.M. and try it a day or so later at 6 P.M.

Lyman

Return to “Photography”