Image Resizing....here is some information

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Image Resizing....here is some information

Post by daveparker »

I orginally posted this for Scott this morning, but figured others may be able to use this as well.

I am looking to see if I can add an image re-sizer to the system, but in the meantime, you might check this one out, it is online and it is a free resource, it may help, it seems to be a pretty straight forward program for manipulating images.

http://www.resize2mail.com/

Also, here is another one that I found that seem pretty straight forward as well

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Dave
wjlapier
Donator
Donator

Re: Image Resizing....here is some information

Post by wjlapier »

I didn't see your post. Are you considering a size limit; ie. pixel width and bytes?

Bill
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

wjlapier wrote:I didn't see your post. Are you considering a size limit; ie. pixel width and bytes?

Bill
Bill,

If your attaching you picture to a post, there is already a size limit, but I have had a few email me looking for some help, and I thought this might help, if you are hosting your images on another server, the is no limit..but if you are attaching it to a message, then it needs to be 256K or less for this system to upload it.

Dave
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

thanks very much for the assistance. i'll post another pic or two soon. wish i could get online at work. maybe scott-atl-a. or -1.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

scott-atl wrote:thanks very much for the assistance. i'll post another pic or two soon. wish i could get online at work. maybe scott-atl-a. or -1.
Scott,

I don't know what to say, are you sure they are not firewalling you at work in such a way that prevents you from logging in on this page?

Dave
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

no firewalling. i don't sign off at home because everytime i do i have to request a new password. the first site would only crop the pic. the second site resized the file but don't know how to move the resized file to this page. all my large sized pics come off my desktop. which, btw, i have no trouble emailing to folks.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Scott,

That may be the problem, I don't believe the system will let the same person log in from two different IP address's at the same time. What browser are you using? I use Firefox and the first time I logged it, it asked me if I wanted to save my password, to which I said yes, and I have never had to type my information in again. It is always in the log in area when I come to the page, I just hit the submit button and am logged in.

As far as getting your image to you desktop, once the program resizes it, you just need to right click and then save as to your desktop.

As far as you sending your images via email, I am sure your ISP has not set up a limit on the size of files you can send, I have to maintain a maximum file size for the attachments or I would run out of storage room pretty quick with everybody attaching images to their various posts, in addition to the fact that the larger the image the longer it takes to download, the image that you sent me via email, even on DSL took almost a minute to download, people on dial up would never be able to see it if it was kept at that size, many services would time out before the full image is displayed. Most chat systems have disabled the image attachment feature on this software, due to the fact they don't have the storage space, Which is why the free image hosting services have become so popular.

Dave
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

i think i have it sized now. another pic from fri oct 5th. notice the osprey pole we had put up. we are hoping for a bird family next spring. you can see the car at the bottom of the hill. the 4wd wasn't working so we had to walk back up.
Attachments
tmpphpWRO8jb.jpg
tmpphpWRO8jb.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

how do you get the pic to be full size, screen-wise, when you post?
wjlapier
Donator
Donator

Post by wjlapier »

Scott,
It seems we might be neighbors. The pic of Singleshot looks like you are closer to St Marys than we are. Are you east of the highway? BTW, the snow looks awesome up there. Are you around during the 4th of July?

Bill
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

bill,
not sure when we will be out next summer. we'll probably be there over memorial day weekend. i'm guessing your place is near two sisters. where are you in the winter?
scott
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

scott-atl wrote:how do you get the pic to be full size, screen-wise, when you post?
I have the same problem. I resize my photos to be between 225 - 250K so they will upload. When uploaded, I think they should be bigger than what is appearing on the chat page? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? :roll: And how I can get them to appear larger ? :roll:
~Dreams Often Become Realities~
wjlapier
Donator
Donator

Post by wjlapier »

scott-atl wrote:bill,
not sure when we will be out next summer. we'll probably be there over memorial day weekend. i'm guessing your place is near two sisters. where are you in the winter?
scott
We winter in Washington state--I'd rather winter around Glacier myself :D Our property is barely south of Two Sisters. We are always in the Montana ( between Browning and St Marys ) during the 4th. We arrive shortly before and stay as long as we can--7 weeks one year! But usually around two to three weeks.

Wish I could help with the resizing issue. Is this related to this website, or software you guys are using? I use Photoshop CS2.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Morning all,

When resizing a picture, you want to use the pixel dimensions to determine your size, I normally size mine to about 800 pixels High by 600 pixels wide at either 72 dpi or 100 dpi, this will normally derive a size that will work for the chat system, when you attach it to a message, the image shown in the post will be further reduced by the software in the chat, then you will be able to click on it to see the full size image. The image that Scott posted is 360 pixels wide by 270 pixels wide and is 35.5 k in size, which is why it won't allow you to click on it, there is no larger image,, as the software didn't have to reduce the uploaded size any further.

If your downloading your images directly off your camera, normally it will show in your image program that it is 3000 pixels wide by 2000 pixels tall at 72 dpi, once you download into your program, there should be a way to re-size your image, so what I do, is change my 3000 to 800 and my 2000 to 600 and save on my desktop under a new name, you should then be able to attach to the message and upload.

I have attached a screen shot of one of my images that I opened up directly off my camera in photoshop CS2 that shows it is 2000 pixels wide by 3008 pixels wide at 72 pixels per inch, it also shows that it is 27.778 inches wide by 41.778 inches tall, if you look at the actually pixel size at the top is says the image is 17.2 megabytes based on the pixel dimensions, now you can change the actual inches to change the size, or you can change the pixels to change the size. Photoshop also has a feature when you save your image to choose the quality you want to save the image at, this is where compression comes in.

Most image manipulation programs I have worked with has this type of feature to save it at a smaller size or compress it, I know all of the photoshop products, as well as paint shop pro, it may be called something different in the program that came with your computer, but normally if you check in the help files in your program and search for something about saving for the web, it will show you how to do this.

Hope it helps, I know it can be confusing. If I can help further, please let me know.

Dave
Attachments
example.jpg
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Ear Mountain »

Dave Parker wrote:When resizing a picture, you want to use the pixel dimensions to determine your size, I normally size mine to about 800 pixels High by 600 pixels wide at either 72 dpi or 100 dpi, this will normally derive a size that will work for the chat system, when you attach it to a message, the image shown in the post will be further reduced by the software in the chat, then you will be able to click on it to see the full size image. The image that Scott posted is 360 pixels wide by 270 pixels wide and is 35.5 k in size, which is why it won't allow you to click on it, there is no larger image,, as the software didn't have to reduce the uploaded size any further.
Dave,
Thanks for this explanation. I've been wondering why some of the images I posted were reduced in size when viewed in the thread. Now I see what's happenin! Thanks again for all your work on this board.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Photography”