2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Post by PeteE »

Hi Everyone :)

Thanks for all the kind remarks!
My eye is better every day. It's really remarkable the improvement in my vision--even my fairly close vision.
I'll still need readers for really close up things like reading.

It's 10AM 2F here in town, and it's warmed up to -13F at Polebridge so I'm off to get some photos---assuming the road is ok.
There a couple of those snakey winding down hill stretches that are scary if "glazed ice".
I should be able to get something though.

Later

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Last weekend. In 20 km, I never saw another skier.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I'll be back to post a few more snapshots from yesterday's trip out to Polebridge.
The only editing I've done other than cropping a few is applying some haze removal and bringing up the shadows.
I deliberately under exposed(according to the histogram) many of them to keep from blowing out the highlights.
Here's a couple panos--both were hand held. 8)

3 image pano looking north taken from the Mercantile parking lot.

2 image pano looking north taken from the bridge at the Polebridge entrance to Glacier National Park

It was pretty chilly yesterday morning--below 0F. The North Fork is frozen over in many places. The ice was quite thick along this stretch.
And with temps not forecast to rise above freezing until next weekend, the ice will continue to build.

The "road" down to the Great Northern Flats boat ramp. The snow looked great for skiing but I can't ski until this coming Wednesday.
My eye is really doing well. :arrow:

Took this pano from the summit of Huckleberry last October 15th
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bs5 ... w27-X2.jpg
Color of water is nice. Huckleberry Mt in the background.

Huckleberry from the river edge at Big Creek Campground.

Looking up river from just past the Big Creek CG. The Camas Road bridge is in the gap in the background.

Ranger Station at Polebridge entrance

Bridge at the entrance station.

Polebridge Mercantile and Northern Lights Saloon on the left

Northern Lights Saloon--anyone for a picnic? Plenty of empty tables available. 8)

Couple of shots of the old barn/garage at the turn off the North Fork Road entering/leaving Polebridge

Last edited by PeteE on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Happy Valentines Day to all you ladies out there!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

George Carlin
Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female

Post by Carol Lynn »

Pete - Just wondering if there's a reason you're not starting a 2021 "Snaps" thread? I'm trying to get past all things 2020 :roll:
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Post by McKee80 »

Hey Pete,
I'm loving the winter pictures, Glacier sure looks good in the snow!
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Pete,

Thanks for the winter North Fork pictures. It looks like Saturdya was a nice day. I especailly like the pano looking north from the bridge at Polebridge. And I think the first barn picture shows a lot of character.

Good to hear that your eye is doing well.

Bill
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

McKee80 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 am Hey Pete,
I'm loving the winter pictures, Glacier sure looks good in the snow!
Thanks! Glacier does look nice in the winter.
It's been pretty chilly the last couple weeks so tough getting out for photos.
Take care of that shoulder
8)
MarxMN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:07 pm Pete,

Thanks for the winter North Fork pictures. It looks like Saturday was a nice day.
You're welcome Bill. :) It was nice but COLD, at least for me, but maybe not considering recent temps in MN 8)
I especially like the pano looking north from the bridge at Polebridge.
I liked that one two. I couldn't get that image in one shot, so I did a two image pano. I liked the sky and how the light(ish) trees and river converge in the background
And I think the first barn picture shows a lot of character.
Like you, I preferred the view of the barn in the first photo...except the red "No Trespassing" sign annoyed me.
So I took the second image with the tree stump blocking the sign. Didn't really work very well though.
I put it up anyway. :)

Good to hear that your eye is doing well.
Yeah, my right eye is coming along really well. If I close my left eye, everything from 24" and out is crystal clear.
Already ditched my glasses. Amazing!
If the left one comes out this good, I'll be in "Fat City"!
:arrow:

Bill
Carol Lynn wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:10 am
Pete - Just wondering if there's a reason you're not starting a 2021 "Snaps" thread? I'm trying to get past all things 2020 :roll:
No good reason Carol. Lazy I guess and a bit frustrated with this chat and the lack of participation.
While I'm certainly grateful for the members who support me here, it's possible I may find another venue for posting photos.
What that might be I have no clue at the moment. Bummer I know, but it is what it is.
Cheers

To all of you, not just Carol:
There's also this regarding my continued presence here...
Depending on what sort of bullshit covid-19 mask wearing and lockdown rules the government/park service imposes on visitors this coming season, I may cut way down my going out there...and just go elsewhere, e.g. The Bob Marshall, Cabinet Mtns., Beartooth, Wind River.

Currently I have 3 nights in early September at Granite Park which I'll probably keep. I'm also going to put in for two three night backpacking trips. One will be at Atlantic Creek and the other at Gunsight Lake. I'll do day trips to get photos at Triple Divide pass and maybe peak from ATL. And day trip to Jackson Glacier and/or Lake Ellen Wilson from GUN.(Those trips will depend on what "rules" are imposed. I may cancel all of them)

I'm sick and tired of BIG Government at every level taking advantage of covid-19 as Rahm Emanuel suggested back in 2008?
"You never let a serious crisis go to waste."
Covid-19 is just another form of the flu, albeit a nasty one. Lock downs and this silly social distancing are a joke.
Lockdowns and so-called social distancing are destroying our country and I'm not going to participate in that craziness.
Y'all are free to disagree, but I refuse to argue the point.
Have a nice day cooped up in your cabin. 8)
Happy New Year! :mrgreen:
pete

George Carlin
res
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by res »

Pete, ALways enjoy your pictures and look forward to seeing more.. The photo I got from you is beautiful and reminds me of the wonderful trip I had with my daughter. It is the first thing I see when I walk into the house.

Of the who knows how pictures I have snapped in my trips to Glacier, one I like the best was taken on Scenic Point trail. It is looking down the trail at three men about 150 yards or so from the top. One of them was totally blind. I am still in awe of that person and his courage.
Just a cold winters day rant. I forgot it can be -14 in Illinois.
Bob
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

res wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:57 pm Pete, ALways enjoy your pictures and look forward to seeing more.. The photo I got from you is beautiful and reminds me of the wonderful trip I had with my daughter. It is the first thing I see when I walk into the house.
Thank you for that compliment Bob. Bringing back a memory like that means a lot to me.

Of the who knows how pictures I have snapped in my trips to Glacier, one I like the best was taken on Scenic Point trail. It is looking down the trail at three men about 150 yards or so from the top. One of them was totally blind. I am still in awe of that person and his courage.

Just a cold winters day rant. I forgot it can be -14 in Illinois.
LOL Yeah, the folks in the midwest, especially Texas, have been getting hammered. It's warmed up here! 32F and light snow at the moment. Lost power in my neighborhood for about 3 hours this afternoon. No big deal. Temp in my apt. only dropped 1 degree!! I made coffee for my French press with my pocket rocket, grinding beans by hand :)
Bob
Bob, the anecdote about seeing the blind guy on the Scenic Point trail literally brought tears to my eyes as it immediately reminded me of two things:
First was seeing a guy with two canes wearing braces on both legs at Iceberg Lake. And it was a HOT day in July. I remember thinking, "What kind of courage, stamina, and especially, sheer will power that guy must have had."

The second was the incredible story of Bill Irwin in the link.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

I was living in Virginia when Irwin did his AT hike. I recall reading a few articles about his AT hike in the local media back then.
I was hunter/bowhunter and not much of a "hiker" in those days. My ex in-laws lived in Tazewell County and their land was close to the AT. I would hike to get to a specific location, occasionally using parts of the AT getting to where I wanted to hunt and camp. Virginia has the largest portion of the AT of any state. So I knew first hand just how rough that trip had to be for him and "Orient" his dog. I still can't fathom how difficult that journey must have been for Irwin.

So thanks Bob for your post.
It's very humbling when I think about my own "eye" problems.
I'm VERY, very lucky.
cheers

George Carlin
ND

Post by ND »

No good reason Carol. Lazy I guess and a bit frustrated with this chat and the lack of participation.
While I'm certainly grateful for the members who support me here, it's possible I may find another venue for posting photos.
What that might be I have no clue at the moment. Bummer I know, but it is what it is.
As far as Glacier is concerned you're the only one on the scene. I don't know how many people even view this chat anymore. The big social media platforms have swallowed up small forums like this. As for myself, I check in quite a bit. The most noteworthy thing going on in my world is it's been cold. Nothing interesting about that. :lol: I don't take pictures when it's 15-20 below.

I like looking at your winter pics of Glacier. They are interesting to me. Many are very good and I try to let you know when one strikes a chord with me.
I could give you 'golf claps' every time time you post pics, but I don't think that's what you're looking for either.

So in the end you have to do what feels right for you. In my opinion you are the only one keeping this chat page afloat. This is especially true in the off season.
fmcdonald

Post by fmcdonald »

I check the chat page at least once every day unless I am out of town with no internet access. I almost never post because I'm not able to get to Glacier frequently, but I love seeing all of the photos and keeping up with what is happening. I also am in Glacier Facebook groups, but get far more good information from this page than I do anywhere else.

Pete, I love seeing all of your photos. They just keep getting better and better.
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Ditto!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
crh24

Post by crh24 »

Ditto! Me too...
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Pete, I don’t post often but do look at this page almost every day. Your photos (and many of your comments) always bring a smile to my face. If you do cut back on trips to the park, I would be delighted to see photos from other areas. Spent a few days in the Bob Marshall a few years ago and enjoyed that. The main thing is getting out there and doing what you enjoy. Your photos are constantly improving and are gorgeous. Hope you can continue to share with those of us not lucky enough to be out there. And so glad the eye is doing well.

Return to “Photography”