2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Post by PeteE »

TamandKev wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:30 am Hey Pete,
We left bright and early this morning for our trip back to Missouri. It’s always a sad time for us to leave GNP. :cry: However, we have so many great memories and look forward to our next trip. :arrow:
We hope to take you up on the Shangri la
hike. We have always wanted to hike to Iceberg Lake that way. :D :D Hopefully we will be in better hiking shape next time we see you. This year life snuck up on us before we were ready. We made it hiking but sure felt the extra lbs. I’m not going to admit we are getting older :shock:
We look forward to seeing what pictures you post in the future and always enjoy GNP through your reports. You are an inspiration to us!! :arrow: :arrow:
Tammy
Tammy and Kevin!
The pleasure was all mine!
I hope you both get back again soon. We'll do ShangriLa :)

Believe it or not!!! :mrgreen:
The cabin you stayed in out near Polebridge IS the same one I stayed in back in 2015.
My friend from Michigan leased that property for the fall that year!
I'll send you a pic of the interior. It matches the photo on the current rental site.
Is that wild or not? :D

pete :wink:
calicotraveler wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:42 pm Pete, you may be a little harsh on yourself when you criticize your last pano. Yes, it would be a more interesting photo if there were some clouds or if the sun was different. However, looking at it from my eyes (a person who didn’t make it to Glacier at all this year) it is wonderful! I’m just saying, I’m totally enjoying your photos no matter if you are not 100% satisfied with them. Keep them coming. Please. :D
Hi Michele:
I know I gripe and get on myself too much.
Just the way I'm "wired" I suppose.
I should be HAPPY that I live here and can get out to GNP as much as I do...
Keeping in mind just how lucky I am to have that privilege.
So thank you for all the encouragement and support. It means a lot from you and all the others as well.

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I was out at Logan Pass yesterday.
The smoke was bad and now I'm afraid it will get worse--at least in the short term.
Most all of it is from the West Coast fires.

Yesterday I was going to go up to the summit of Oberlin for pics.
However, before I got to the saddle I decided that was pointless.
There was just too much smoke haze.
So I decided to scramble up Clements about 175 feet to the bottom of the big cliffs on the NE face.
Really great spot to do a pano and I did one or two even though the haze was awful.
(At the bottom of the BIG cliffs, reddish one on the left and yellowish ones on the right)
More for something to do, since I knew I wouldn't get any really good images.

These three are panos, the two waterfall pics are the "close up" variety. :wink:
I just got a call from work, so I'll have a few more when I return.

This one is a 3 image pano of Clements taken from a little ways below the saddle to Oberlin at 0915.
The square composition seemed to work for me. Minimized the crappy hazy sky--which got worse as the day went on. :twisted:
ISO 100 f11 at 1/200 sec.

This was in the afternoon when the sky sucked more than the morning.
Upper of the two falls.
The rocks were slimy and I couldn't find a place to to get Clements in the "gap" of those trees :(
Again, three image pano.
BRIGHT sun so I used a 6 stop neutral density filter. Used the same ND filter on next image too.

ISO 50 f9.5 at 1.0 seconds

This is the lower falls and is a 2 image pano.
The foreground left side is a little "soft". :( Camera too close to it? maybe shoot a sweet(er) spot of f 9.5/f11 and focus stack?
Live and learn :)
ISO 50 f13 at 4.0 seconds.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

This image was taken 7:37AM, about 10-15 minutes after official sunrise.
My tripod was set on the metal plate covering the visitor center water source near the waterfall on the trail to Oberlin.

Cropped to 16:9 I think it looks pretty good.(It's NOT an HDR JayW 8) )
The cloud layer hanging tight over Logan Pass parking lot helps a lot.
Some faint rays coming off the GTTS mountain too.

If you look just below where the right side of the GTTS mountain intersects the cloud deck...
You can see the Visitor Center in the mist. It shows much better in the original "unshrunken" image(5600x3150 pixels).
I think it will show in a good print.

The tree on the right is annoying as hell but it was so dark I didn't see it in the live view . :(

ISO 100 f13 at 1/45 second

Here is another look at Clements that I like better than the one I posted above.
Taken from closer to the saddle and zoomed in slightly more.
Looking up from this view point makes the image a bit larger and maybe more "dramatic"?
Sharp enough I can see the rock at the base of the big cliffs I was taking pics from :)

4 image pano cropped to 10x8(7160x5728 pixels would make a nice sharp image up to about 30x24)
ISO 100 f11 at 1/200 second

George Carlin
TamandKev
Gender?: Female

Post by TamandKev »

Pete,
That is something you stayed at the same cabin. Great minds think alike lol!! :D :D It was a super neat location and we loved the remoteness and the views.
I’m sad smoke is starting to fill the valley and park. I know it makes it hard to breathe and the haziness really makes it tricky to capture the beauty, but I was super impressed with how your pictures turned out with those conditions. Have a great day!
Tammy
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I hiked the Siyeh Pass route yesterday with some friends of one of my sister's friends...yeah complicated huh? :)
The smoke is still pretty bad but not as bad as last Tuesday when we did the Dragon's Tail false summit.
There's some weather coming in tomorrow so hopefully it will starting clearing out the smoke.

Here's what it looked like at the top.

Father and Daughter. Dad is a former Iron Man Triathlon competitor who competed at the top level.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here is some video from the day I walked out to Granite Park Chalet on September 2nd.
It's about 12 minutes. Also has a short section of some Big Horn Sheep doing a little mild head banging. :)

About 12 minutes
https://photos.smugmug.com/Granite-Park ... 1-1920.mp4

George Carlin
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Fun watching your video on the Highline trail! The bighorns were interesting as well as the fat goat. My favorite part was when you saw the pika. I haven't seen many of those in my travels. Thanks for posting for us who can't be there this year! :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

calicotraveler wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:18 pm Fun watching your video on the Highline trail! The bighorns were interesting as well as the fat goat. My favorite part was when you saw the pika. I haven't seen many of those in my travels. Thanks for posting for us who can't be there this year! :D
Thanks Michele :)

The pika sighting was hilarious! That gal whose "exclamation" 8) you heard thought the running pika was a lizard! :| :| :mrgreen:
The two pikas were running back and forth to their den carrying long green shoots of some kind of plant. All she saw were the shoots trailing behind the running pika!! The pikas blend well against the rock, so I guess it may have looked like a lizard. LOLOL.

Pikas for those who don't know, do not hibernate during the winter. Pikas cut vegetation all summer and store it for winter.
They remain quite active in their snow covered dens--usually located under a large rock in an area that accumulates lots of snow.
I saw pikas storing cuttings under that same rock once before a few years ago.

Here's another image I found that I made at the chalet as the sun was setting around 8:10PM the day I arrived.
I liked how the light lit up the Grinnell Glacier overlook area and Mt Gould--and clear enough to see back as far as Logan Pass.

I've been going back through files looking for images I may have missed.
4 image pano turned out pretty good.

George Carlin
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

PeteE wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:25 am
calicotraveler wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:18 pm Fun watching your video on the Highline trail! The bighorns were interesting as well as the fat goat. My favorite part was when you saw the pika. I haven't seen many of those in my travels. Thanks for posting for us who can't be there this year! :D
Awesome photo, Pete!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

davidwayne wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:27 pm
PeteE wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:25 am
Awesome photo, Pete!
I agree, really nicely done!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Chip

Post by Chip »

As always I have enjoyed your pics. Really liked the video of the tail and the animals.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Thank you all for the compliments.
They're much appreciated and give me confidence that I'm making progress with my photography.
Now, if only this %@*^$% SMOKE would go AWAY!!!!! :)
I could get back to doing some hiking and making pics!

I did out yesterday for some "waterfall picture" practice in a place where the smoke wasn't an issue.
http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... 65#p109565

Thank you all again!

George Carlin
crh24

Post by crh24 »

Pete:

Thank you for sharing your photos during your three day Granite Park trip. I really enjoyed them. Sounds like you met and spent time with some really great people at Granite Park. I am sure they enjoyed spending time with you, even more!

Thanks,
-Craig (Hint)
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

crh24 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:45 am Pete:

Thank you for sharing your photos during your three day Granite Park trip. I really enjoyed them. Sounds like you met and spent time with some really great people at Granite Park. I am sure they enjoyed spending time with you, even more!

Thanks,
-Craig (Hint)
Hi Craig :)

You're most welcome regarding sharing my photos. I enjoy doing it.
And yes! :D
I DID spend some quality time with some great people--especially you, Tammy and Kevin. :mrgreen:

I've been very lucky over the last ten years meeting people as a result of my membership here on the GNP chat page.
Some have been registered members while others have been "lurkers".
And all, every person, I've had the pleasure to meet have been fun folks. It just doesn't get better than that.

And for the benefit of people reading this, both members and lurkers, and especially those who anticipate a visit to GNP in the future...

You would be wise to do the research and preparation that Craig did prior to his visit to GNP.
Tammy, Kevin, and I saw the well "thumbed" and tabbed guide books, personal notes, and other material Craig used to prepare for his trip to GNP.
As a result, Craig had a great stay doing the best of hikes available in Glacier this year.
And...Craig was able to make the most of every day by being in great physical shape.
*Hint*If you are a hiker or a backpacker, good physical conditioning prior to arrival will make your stay WAY more enjoyable.
You'd think that would be obvious, but trust me, it's not from my observation of people over the years.

Soooo...Craig, if you should get out this way again, don't hesitate to get in touch.
We'll do something fun!
And again, it was a pleasure hanging out with you.

PS

I was up at 3:30AM and out to the park this morning at the crack of dawn. :D
Nice clear day albeit windy over at Sun Point where I began taking pictures.
Hopefully, I got some good images. I certainly shot a BUNCH :)

Here it is September 21st and the park was still very crowded. Logan pass parking was full by 8:00AM :shock:
And people parked at every wide spot in the road.
I was lucky in that I was able to find a spot to park for pics on the way down the West side.
The valley below Logan Pass had a wonderful thick layer of clouds down low with clear sky and puffy clouds above. :arrow:
I should have some nice images.

Later 8)

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Today was a pretty nice day compared to last weeks miserable smoke filled days. :D

More coming as I get to them.
This one is from just a little way down the GTTS road from the Oberlin overlook.
I stopped at several places on the way back home to shoot this cloud bank over the valley(s)
Mt Oberlin on the left and the Haystack on the right.
3 image pano ISO 125 f11 at 1/125 second

Farther down the road.

This was the very first of many images I made from this spot at Sun Point.
(There may be another set of images that stitch better than this set of 7. It takes a long time to process these huge files. We'll see)
Taken just after official sunrise at 7:38AM, I liked the highlights on the mountain tops in the distance and the GTTS mountain nearly fully in sun. :D
The wind was BLOWING. Look at the water! (20-30mph and this spot is totally exposed to it!)
I'm pleasantly surprised that this one turned out as well as it did.
A few of the trees blurred a little from the slow shutter speed but the image still works for me.
I cropped it to a 3:1 aspect ratio. It should print well at any reasonable size--certainly up to 12x36 inches, maybe 16x48 inches.
7 images stitched for this pano.
ISO 50 f11 at 1/4 second 24mm (36mm/35mm format) Sony f2.8 16-50mm zoom lens

And yes, it was chilly out on Sun Point. The temperature on the Logan Pass web cam at 4AM was 32F.
I would expect at dawn it would be the same or colder. The WIND was easily 25-30 mph and gusting.
That's not unusual for the St Mary Lake Valley and I doubt anyone feels sorry for me! LOLOL! 8)

I'll have a few more images later today.
The Covid-19 virus has been a pain in the ass at work.
My phone ran out of minutes.
And I'm fighting with the bank over the delay in getting a check stopped and funds returned to my account.
Ahhhhh... life in the "new normal". 8)

later

George Carlin

Return to “Photography”