2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Post by PeteE »

Here are a few more from yesterday out behind Reynolds Mt.

Taken from the boardwalk at 0650--about 30 minutes before the sun rose over the saddle between Matahpi and the GTTS Mt.
ISO 200 f5.6 at 1/90sec.

This is a similar image to the big pano in the previous post-- the best image of the day imo 8)

I took it about a half hour later when I got to the end of the "trail" where the pics below were made.
This one is a little smaller than the pano above. A little different composition.
That said, both this pano and the bigger one cover a LOT of real estate. The images here simply can't reflect that fact.
The printed images will. 8)
Still sharp with good detail as I can see the trail to the DT true summit.

I liked these little pillars. They're on the far right of the pano above.
I wanted to take the pano above from the more distant one, but I couldn't quite figure out how to get on them safely. 8)

Looking up at Reynolds from just a few yards from where the images above were taken.
I just liked how it looked...so I took the shot 8)
I took this shot again focus stacking it but haven't processed it yet.
Maybe it will look a bit sharper.

This is a 6 frame pano taken from about the same spot as the shot above(looking up at Reynolds).
There was a lot of haze along with the high clouds...so not the best quality image.
Since very few people get out to this location, this interesting view is seldom seen.

Heavy Runner is in the center foreground, then left to right:
Reynolds cliffs above the snow banks, Piegan summit, Siyeh summit, Matahpi summit, GTTS Mt. summit, and St Mary Lake.
This would be a great image under the right lighting and weather conditions.

I'll work on the video clips and post them later.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Pete,

You have a bunch of incredible photographs that you have posted lately. I have never tried making panoramas but but it looks fascinating.

I am glad you found that old thread about the Alder Trail. When wynsteve asked about the Alder Trail I knew we had had a discussion about it a few years ago.

When I read your description about starting down south of Haystack I thought that can not be the Alder Trail - I was sure the Alder Trail was north of Haystack The Alder Trail has been closed about 50 years now. That should be time for it to grow over even in a Glacier environment.
al_in_al
Gender?: Female

Post by al_in_al »

PeteE wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:44 pm Back tomorrow with more.
The video might be interesting for some of you.
Very few people ever hike this back side of Reynolds---usually just those climbing Heavy Runner.
As you'll see in the video clips, the trail is kinda narrow and sketchy in places which might deter some hikers. 8)

I don't usually watch videos, but I'm interested in seeing these. I'm considering walking out behind Reynolds in a couple of weeks - I'm one that would probably turn around if it was too narrow or too sketchy.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

al_in_al wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:12 am
PeteE wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:44 pm Back tomorrow with more.
The video might be interesting for some of you.
Very few people ever hike this back side of Reynolds---usually just those climbing Heavy Runner.
As you'll see in the video clips, the trail is kinda narrow and sketchy in places which might deter some hikers. 8)

I don't usually watch videos, but I'm interested in seeing these. I'm considering walking out behind Reynolds in a couple of weeks - I'm one that would probably turn around if it was too narrow or too sketchy.
Ok here is the video clip of how the trail looks going out behind Reynolds Mt.
I apologize for the shakiness. It's hard to hold a smart phone steady while walking where one has to be somewhat careful 8)
But I think you'll get the idea of what this trail looks like.

Overall, the trail is ok in my opinion, but I can see where some people wouldn't care for it.
It is narrower than the "maintained" trails in the park.
This trail is about a foot wide for much of it judged by the length of my boots--12-13".

The key to walking a trail like this is to go slow(probably slower than I do here) and PAY ATTENTION to where you put your feet.
And be mindful of the pack on your back when negotiating "tight spots" where your pack may contact the rock wall.
Use a hiking stick. I recommend using just ONE stick, and use it on the down hill side.
That leaves you with a free hand. I find that very helpful to maintain balance, and the ability to grab a handhold if you lose balance, or steady yourself in some situations.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-MDH ... P-1920.mp4

George Carlin
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Pete, Great photos and love the video. Get to see places I'll never be able to see. Narrow trails on high ledges are not for me!
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Thanks for the video - it doesn't look too bad, but I definitely see the need to be careful.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

al_in_al wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 pm Thanks for the video - it doesn't look too bad, but I definitely see the need to be careful.
It's not that bad and I believe you'll be just fine if you choose to go back there.

I need to err on the conservative side when I put out information like that.
Lots of people use this chat for information. Some don't have a clue about the hazards of hiking, even on the published trails.

Last Saturday I was about half way out the trail behind Reynolds when three guys came up behind me while I was taking photographs.
I asked them if they were going to do Heavy Runner. They said, "No were going up Mt. Reynolds".
To which I replied, "I don't think so." And I told them where the way up Reynolds began.
They had no idea where they were or how they were going to get there.
I told the Rangers at the Visitor Center about them just in case.

Have a good trip "J"! Your schedule looks great and I'm sure the Sperry stay will be awesome!

George Carlin
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks. Now I need another shower as I got all sweaty watching the video. :D . I am done with these types of hikes. Love to watch the videos as they remind of years ago when I would go anywhere. Glad you can still do it.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Chip wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:12 am Thanks. Now I need another shower as I got all sweaty watching the video. :D . I am done with these types of hikes. Love to watch the videos as they remind of years ago when I would go anywhere. Glad you can still do it.
Well that's a bummer Ken!
I was planning on taking you with me next time I try to go up to the true summit of the Dragon's Tail. :mrgreen:
Your medical skills would be handy to have on hand! Did you look at the big pano? I'm getting it printed this morning--14"x42"
Doesn't that goat trail on that near vertical ridge look like it'd be fun? 8)
j/k :)

Wednesday I'll be going out to Granite Park for 3 nights.
Day 2 I plan on hiking out to Ahern Pass then on up to Iceberg Notch.
The weather forecast now is about as good as it will ever be, so I'm excited about that.
I should be able to get some really good pano images from up there.

Anyway maybe one day I can get down to AZ for a visit.
Take care

George Carlin
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

So enjoyed your video! Almost made me feel like I was there. I'm not likely going to do this trail as it's a bit narrow and scree covered for me; however, the video was an excellent way to see this trail. Also like to hear your description as you go. Thanks!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

calicotraveler wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:11 am So enjoyed your video! Almost made me feel like I was there. I'm not likely going to do this trail as it's a bit narrow and scree covered for me; however, the video was an excellent way to see this trail. Also like to hear your description as you go. Thanks!
I'm glad you liked it---despite my runny nose and no editing :)
Now I'm thinking I might take my old Sony Camcorder along om my trip to Granite Park Chalet.
It's a much better video camera than my phone and I can save battery power on my still camera for photos only.
Make some video of my attempt to get up to Iceberg Notch on Thursday.
Not sure yet what I'll do on Friday, but I'll try to get some video of Friday's adventure too. 8)
And I'll edit the video this time!
"Lame video" redux?

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

indiana hiker wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:37 pm Pete, Great photos and love the video. Get to see places I'll never be able to see. Narrow trails on high ledges are not for me!
MarxMN wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 am Pete,

You have a bunch of incredible photographs that you have posted lately. I have never tried making panoramas but but it looks fascinating.

I am glad you found that old thread about the Alder Trail. When wynsteve asked about the Alder Trail I knew we had had a discussion about it a few years ago.

When I read your description about starting down south of Haystack I thought that can not be the Alder Trail - I was sure the Alder Trail was north of Haystack The Alder Trail has been closed about 50 years now. That should be time for it to grow over even in a Glacier environment.
Bill and Barb:

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks for the compliments on my pics! :D
I will try to get more good images on my trip to Granite Park chalet.
Going to try Iceberg Notch Thursday. Not sure what I'll do Friday. Maybe the Fire Tower for panos.
Leaving tomorrow morning at 0430.
I'd like to get out there early as I can so I can sign up for an early breakfast time.

The weather forecast is excellent.
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/2571 (for 6562ft)
Clear, perfect temps, little breezy, and a FULL moon for all 3 nights!! :arrow:

I may be able to update here if I have cell service.

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Pete,

Still enjoying the photos and commentary. G e t y o u r a s c i i up to Iceberg Notch. Rain or shine. After all these years, you'll appreciate seeing something new in Glacier, and it'll give ya the willies looking down.

Jay (willie) W
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

Pete, Just went through the posts from the last few weeks or so. Loved your picture of the sunrise light beam at Logan Pass. Your photo of the sunrise over Matahpi and the GTTS Mt is gorgeous! Definitely a wall hanger. You mentioned focus stacking an image. I was wondering what software you use for that? Everyone talks about Photoshop to focus stack images but I'm not going to pay a monthly fee just to process a hand full of images per year.

Thanks, Matt
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Badgerhiker wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:22 am Pete, Just went through the posts from the last few weeks or so. Loved your picture of the sunrise light beam at Logan Pass. Your photo of the sunrise over Matahpi and the GTTS Mt is gorgeous! Definitely a wall hanger. You mentioned focus stacking an image. I was wondering what software you use for that? Everyone talks about Photoshop to focus stack images but I'm not going to pay a monthly fee just to process a hand full of images per year.

Thanks, Matt
Hi Matt:

Thanks for the compliments! :)
Many of my images are not showing up today on the chat. :evil:
Probably related to not being able to connect to many sites.
Anyone else having trouble today, Saturday afternoon?

I use Helicon Focus which is not free but a fee of $55.00 for one year for the version that will do for 99.9% of people.
If you want the lifetime version, the $55.00 will be applied to that fee...I think.
I can't verify that because I cannot get a lot of sites on the internet today for some reason.
Helicon Focus is supposed to be the best out there according to some sources.
Dirt simple to use too.
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get LightRoom and Photoshop to do anything.
I guess I'm too computer stupid. :(

George Carlin

Return to “Photography”