Fire

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Fire

Post by joybird »

trevbo
Gender?: Male

Post by trevbo »

Hopefully today's precip slows things down... the fire has the potential to run south into Glacier if it jumps the ridge at Cameron lake (it's just north of chapman and Custer right now... or could run down towards kintla Lake too).
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Link to an article on the fire in the Great Falls Tribune with some impressive photos. Those 52 firefighters stationed at the Prince of Wales hotel did a great job as well as the firefighters who protected the rest of the town:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... 674283001/
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

llholmes1948 wrote:Link to an article on the fire in the Great Falls Tribune with some impressive photos. Those 52 firefighters stationed at the Prince of Wales hotel did a great job as well as the firefighters who protected the rest of the town:
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... 674283001/
Just WOW! Great article; thx for sharing.
We were there before and after our Boulder Pass backpack and stayed at the Wales on our return. We also did the drive to Red Rock Canyon and Cameron Lake on Aug 13th. I filmed a lot of the drives so it will be interesting to see how it looks now.
I film a lot of my scenic drives and it's been a couple times now that fires have burned parts of them like GTTSR around Sunrift Gorge etc. I really noticed the difference on this drive of the GTTSR around the Sunrift area as though it burned, your views sure have opened up but around the Gorge, that is too bad.
akamina3

Post by akamina3 »

Waterton is open again (sort of).

You can only drive to and enter the townsite, and drive the highway up to the Chief Mountain border crossing. Everything else remains closed -- including the other roads and all hiking trails.

We plan on heading to Waterton this weekend.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

We plan on heading to Waterton this weekend.
Would love to hear about your trip, so hope you can report back.
NWOhioJeff

Post by NWOhioJeff »

I feel VERY fortunate to have camped/hiked in Waterton before the fire - was one of the highlights of my trip to GNP..... Took many awesome pics just before labor day weekend... Hoping for a speedy recovery
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

a great story about how they saved the Prince: http://www.glacierparkinc.com/connect-w ... ide-the-b/

Sept 11: By late that night, the fire was knocking on the hotel’s door, with flames in the area reaching 400 feet into the sky.
...there were embers the size of baseballs that were landing on the roof of the hotel. At one point, the fire was 50 yards away.

The pictures of the results of the fire on other websites are truly astonishing; especially as viewed from the Prince.
Haven't seen any pics from the Akamina or Red Rock Cany Parkways or Cameron Lake etc.

I did put together a trip report and photoset from our drive of these Parkways in August along with some of the photos I picked up on the web from the Kenow fire https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=46990

Return to “Waterton Park..”