Waterton advance reservations

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

solohiker5555
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Waterton advance reservations

Post by solohiker5555 »

I am trying to reserve a few sites in Waterton (Alderson Lake and Goat Lake) for late July and i see on their website that the 'reservable dates' start May 13; but when i called the Waterton office yesterday i was told they do not even take reservations until that date. That seems odd. Was i misinformed?
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Waterton advance reservations

Post by teapot57 »

Alderson Lake and Goat Lake campgrounds are wilderness campsites. The Waterton webpage for wilderness (backcountry) camping says that reservations can be made 90 days in advance starting April 1. Call 'em up-- number can be found in the link below.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/watert ... sable=true
akamina3

Post by akamina3 »

To the OP, it sounds like you are used to hiking somewhere busier than Waterton.

In my experience, few people camp at Alderson, and it is mostly a stop on the way down to the townsite after starting a few hours earlier at Cameron Lake.

Goat is a pretty enough spot, but again I have seen few people camp there. It is mostly either a turnaround spot for an 8 mile from Red Rock Canyon, or a waypoint to/from Avion Ridge or Newman Peak.

Waterton isn't the backpacking destination that you see in Glacier. I have hiked to or through every backcountry campground in Waterton as part of a day hike. Waterton offers spectacular scenery, just shorter hiking and fewer people.

It does not surprise me that you surprised them with reservation requests this early in the year.

Have fun!
solohiker5555

Post by solohiker5555 »

akamina3 wrote:To the OP, it sounds like you are used to hiking somewhere busier than Waterton.

In my experience, few people camp at Alderson, and it is mostly a stop on the way down to the townsite after starting a few hours earlier at Cameron Lake.

Goat is a pretty enough spot, but again I have seen few people camp there. It is mostly either a turnaround spot for an 8 mile from Red Rock Canyon, or a waypoint to/from Avion Ridge or Newman Peak.

Waterton isn't the backpacking destination that you see in Glacier. I have hiked to or through every backcountry campground in Waterton as part of a day hike. Waterton offers spectacular scenery, just shorter hiking and fewer people.

It does not surprise me that you surprised them with reservation requests this early in the year.

Have fun!
You're right... i normally hike in GNP or elsewhere, and i have a nice 9 day trek in GNP but am arriving 5 days before that one begins. So i thought i would check out Waterton, take a peak at the backside of Boulder Pass (my favorite spot in GNP) from the Carthew-Alderson trail and spend a few lazy days at Alderson and Goat Lakes, fishing etc. Will likely day hike onto Avion Ridge on my down day at Goat. Would welcome suggestions for more secluded lakes with good fishing if you know of any.

Return to “Waterton Park..”