Bear spray from glacier to canada

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mbobbitt
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Bear spray from glacier to canada

Post by mbobbitt »

I have looked, and the answer is probably here somewhere, so forgive me for asking again if it is. We are pulling our camper across the country this summer and will be staying at the KOA in St. Mary July 20 to 27 and again on the way back home august 25 to September 2. In between we are driving into Canada to visit the National parks there. We will have bear spray. Is that something we can take across the border into and out of canada? I know we will have to leave our concealed weapons at home, but I can't seem to find an answer concerning the bear spray. Thanks!
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Bear spray from glacier to canada

Post by Selkie »

I specifically asked on crossing into Canada, and the answer is yes, you can carry it into Canada (I forgot to ask on the way back, but I believe the answer is yes. Worst case, you have to dump it).

Pepper spray, intended for use on humans, may not be carried across the border.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by wnysteve »

On entering Canada, I was asked if I had bear spray. On answereing Yes, the offical asked if it was the "magnum" size (i.e., the size intended for bear repulse). "Yes", again, and this is the answer that will gain you entry. (The concealable sprays, considered as anti-personnel, are the types NOT permitted.)

On re-entering the U.S., I don't think the issue even came up. I was just asked how long I had been in Canada, and for what purpose.
il2gnp

Post by il2gnp »

We were not asked about bear spray, either when we entered Canada last summer at a Saskatchewan crossing or when we returned to the US at the Waterton crossing. Did it help to be old? Driving a Flex? Whatever, they asked very few questions and we had no problems.
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

You should know that at least some of the Canadian border guards consider bear spray "a weapon" that needs to be declared. I always keep mine at hand when crossing so that when the guard asks I can just hand it to him or her to check the brand. Yes, only certain approved brands are permitted.
mbobbitt

Post by mbobbitt »

Thanks for all the information. Ours is UDAP. Is that an approved brand? We purchased it at Cabellas.
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

Just be sure the label indicates that it is for animals, not people.
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Check out http://counterassault.com/faq.htmscrolling down to #10. Can I take Counter Assault into Canada?
Hikers are allowed to enter Canada (and  re-enter the USA) with US EPA registered bear deterrents for their own use/protection against bear attacks. (The product must return to the US and cannot be sold or remain in Canada).

This is probably the same for your UDAP spray.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

They always ask, and its not a problem.

"do you have mace?"
"we have bear spray"
"move along..."
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

If you have a bear spray that has an EPA registration number on it, you won't have a problem, don't try to carry pepper spray into Canada, because you won't be allowed to enter the country, just make sure the bear spray you have has an EPA registration number and you are good to go.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

what's the latest on passport/id to go to waterton and back? I've got some friends going out w 4 kids.
mikie

Post by mikie »

Need one of the 3 to get back into the United States:

1. Passport
2. Passport Card
3. Enhanced Drivers License (depending upon the state)
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

thanks, even for kids under 14?
Jen

Post by Jen »

scott-atl wrote:thanks, even for kids under 14?
Are the kids travelling with both parents? I seem to recall Tara saying something about needing additional identification or a letter if the kids were travelling with just one parent. (Sometimes I make this stuff up in my head though.)
Tara

Post by Tara »

ALL kids need one of those documents to cross the border, even an infant. And yes, if traveling with a child that is not their own OR IF THE CHILD IS TRAVELING WITH ONLY ONE PARENT, they need to have a notarized letter from the child's patients (signed by BOTH parents) stating that it is ok for the child to travel with them. IF WITH ONLY ONE PARENT THEY NEED A NOTARIZED LETTER FROM THE OTHER PARENT REGARDLESS OF IF THE PARENTS ARE MARRIED OR DIVORCED. Include as much information as possible...the parents signing the letter should state the full names of the people the child is traveling with, the dates or approx. dates and even the locations if possible...also vehicle info. of the travel vehicle. The more info. the better.

Also be prepared that at the border crossing, esp. coming back into the US, they may ask the kids a lot of questions and not allow you to speak. I wasn't prepared for that :shock:

Return to “Waterton Park..”