1 day trip

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Littlejohn Dsgn
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

1 day trip

Post by Littlejohn Dsgn »

Ok I am still doing some reading but thought I might see what others suggest.

We will be making a day trip in early July, we have decided to do the bat ride to Goat Haunt and will do a hike or two there then catch the boat back. Also want to check out the Prince of Wales hotel. Not sure how much time that will leave us but any other MUST hit hikes or locations?
Littlejohn Dsgn

Re: 1 day trip

So I am thinking our boat ride with a trip to Kootenai Lakes and Rainbow Falls. Then drive out to Redrock Canyon. Also spend some town in the town and at the Prince of Wales hotel.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

The Carthew-Alderson hike in Waterton is very nice, but you won't have time for it with everything else you have planned.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

That's a very full day. :)

Depending on how much trail time vs. car time you want, I'd probably skip the Kootenai Lakes hike ... it's a great wildlife spot, but the hike to it is fairly unremarkable. An alternative at Goat Haunt would be the Goat Haunt Overlook hike (also sometimes called Waterton Overlook), which climbs partway up the ridge on the east side of the like for a nice view.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

We did that Goat Haunt Lake overlook hike and really enjoyed it. Not too many people on it (we were the only ones when we went) and a nice view from the top.
Only 1 mile hike but quite steep. See short video:

http://www.hike734.com/trip/goat-haunt-overlook/
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

I would go to Cameron lake and hike to Carthew summit and back down,, it would be less than 10 miles and doesn't require extra transportation. The views are fantastic and quite varied.
Littlejohn Dsgn

will do some more research on the Carthew-Alderson hike this weekend. I am passing my prelim hike schedule to the other person traveling with us today, will see what he has to say :)

Return to “Waterton Park..”