Alderson-Carthew + Boundary Trail Loop?

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Langdon Greene
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Alderson-Carthew + Boundary Trail Loop?

Post by Langdon Greene »

I've seen a lot of great reviews / recommendations for the Alderson Carthew trail, but nary a mention of the Boundary Trail, which (according to maps) adjoins the A-C in the vicinity of Summit Lake. It seems to me that an Alderson-Carthew-Boundary Loop might be a nice 3-4 day loop, either on its own or as an ambitious add-on to a Northern Traverse or a Belly-Mokowanis-Highline arc (or a Kintla/Bowman-Highline arc).

I'm guessing the Boundary Trail must be in rough shape....

Has anyone here hiked the Boundary Trail?
trevbo

Re: Alderson-Carthew + Boundary Trail Loop?

Post by trevbo »

Brian C., a former colleague of mine posted this trip report on the boundary creek trail http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Boundary ... te-AB-7052 You could contact Brian (brian<at>trailpeak<dot>com) or phone or email the Waterton park warden's office to hear if any of the wardens have checked it out in recent times.

I thought about trying to ski from Cameron Lake back to the townsite via Boundary creek on skis but came to the conclusion it wouldn't be fun because of deadfall, but Brian in his trip report makes it sound like a walk in the park. I have skied slightly past summit lake onto the boundary creek trail to check out some frozen waterfalls... the first park of the trail looked ok.
Langdon Greene

Re: Alderson-Carthew + Boundary Trail Loop?

Post by Langdon Greene »

Thanks for pointing me to that link. From his description (and photos), It sounds like that trail is in decent shape, and pleasant enough, if relatively less spectacular in views. (Seriously, why do so many Glacier fans have such an aversion to hiking in the forest? I understand the clear vistas in Glacier can be grand, but I enjoy being enveloped in trees too!)

I think I will keep that in mind for future years, for a potential 2-3 day side-loop to add on to a Northern Traverse. Someday.

Return to “Waterton Park..”