Canadian Rockies

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

8trackhead

Canadian Rockies

Post by 8trackhead »

Hello! I'm going back to Glacier next year and plan to spend a week up north. Any good suggestion for hikes
or things to see in Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, Mt. Revelstoke, & Canada's Glacier N.P. Guess I'm looking
for the things you must see or do for this area if this will be your only visit. Looking for hikes i can do with
the family ( up to 3 miles ) & hikes for me ( up to 12 miles ). I'm hoping alot of people here have visited
these places and give me some help.

Thanks, Dave
july gal
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Canadian Rockies

Post by july gal »

We did an awesome hike to the Lake Agnes tea house. The trail starts at the Lake Louise shoreline and climbs. It was all uphill and moderately difficult (just because it's all elevation gain). We kept seeing people with giant smiles on their face coming down as we were trudging up. Then, we got to the top, sat on the porch of the tea house and had a spot of tea, and it was to die for. So worth the hike. It's only about 2 miles up.

Consolation lakes would be a good family hike. Just under 2 miles one way. Starts from the Moraine Lake Picnic area and you get to 2 pretty lakes at the end. Lots of small boulders/rocky space to hang out on and enjoy the view. A pretty easy stroll if I remember right but a good pay off at the end.

I'll try to find some photos but those were 2 hikes that stand out (both Banff area).

Enjoy!
In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.” — Margaret Atwood
8trackhead

Post by 8trackhead »

Thanks!!

I'll put those hikes on my list.

Dave
flatlander
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by flatlander »

Yoho N.P. is fantastic - the Crown of the Canadian Rockies. The Lake O'Hara area is incredible, but you need to obtain an advance permit to get on the bus rides that access the area - limited to preserve the area. You can reserve 3 months in advance, but you better call promptly at 8 a.m. on the day 3 months prior to your visit. The Upper Yoho Valley is also great for viewing and hiking.

In Banff, Johnston Canyon and Teahouse are nice hikes.

Glacier NP of Canada: Hike the Great Glacier Trail up along Illecillewaet stream from campground of the same name, the 1885 Rails Trail is an easy but interesting hike along old railroad bed, plus many other longer routes through high alpine areas.

Revelstoke: Drive Meadows to the Sky Parkway to see fantastic high alpine floral displays at the summit, and short trails in area. Also Giant Cedar trail at bottom very short, but interesting.
8trackhead

Post by 8trackhead »

Thanks for the tips Flatlander. I was thinking about camping at Yoho for most of my week
just for the location and I can just plan day trips to most of the parks and then move up to
northern Banff or Jasper for a couple of nights.

Lake O'Hara sounds like a nice way to spend 1 of my days there.

Dave

Return to “Waterton Park..”