Sunday, July 25.... Waterton Lakes (Conclusion)

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Lynnette
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sunday, July 25.... Waterton Lakes (Conclusion)

Post by Lynnette »

After we got down from Bears Hump, we drove the short distance to the Prince of Wales Hotel. I wasn't sure if we'd be in time to eat there... or if there'd be a line, but the dining room was almost EMPTY! We went ahead and sat down. What a gorgeous view! You'd think they PLANNED those huge windows with the views of the mountains and the lake. I was surprised that the food wasn't any more expensive than many of the other restaurants in the area.. about $10 per person for a meal. We also got a fruit and cheese tray to share that was absolutely scrumptious. However, with me taking longer than planned on the Bears Hump, and then eating... we were too late to catch the boat across the lake. I think that was probably for the best... Tickets were $36 per person!

After lunch, we drove to Cameron Lake. The guidebook calls this "one of the prettiest lakes in the Waterton-Glacier area." It was... nice, but I wouldn't necessarily call it spectacular.

There were LOTS of people there on a Sunday afternoon, many of them boating or picnicking.

The trail follows the western shore for a little more than a mile. It ends near the head of the lake, at an area that is closed to hiking because it is prime grizzly bear habitat.

This is the view of the Mount Custer headwall which is closed to hikers.

There were deer all over in Waterton Township. Many of them were just grazing in lawns.

Cameron Falls... right in Waterton Township.
Lynnette
Gender?: Female

Re: Sunday, July 25.... Waterton Lakes (Conclusion)

Post by Lynnette »

A couple more images of the falls.....

The road goes right to the parking lot at the base of the falls. No hiking at all involved for this one!

We tried driving the Red Rock Parkway, but the road and parking area were closed due to road construction.

Saw this guy on the way out of the park...

We drove back to the campground, stopping in Babb for some hamburger. That stuff is hard to come by on the east side of the park! Ate sloppy joes at the campground and went to a ranger program at Rising Sun. Full day. Good day.
sueoz

Post by sueoz »

Hi Lynette - We just got back from an awesome 10 day hiking trip to Glacier. We spent two of those days in Waterton. We also loved the area - more on that when I get around to a trip report. Just wanted to thank you for the pictures from Bear's Hump. When we did it we had lousy visibility - so I was happy to see what it really looked like from up there!

If you go back again - be sure to do the Red Rock Parkway. It was open when we got there although the upper parking lot was still closed. This was one of the most beautiful drives we did.

Sueoz
dennisgolfer
Gender?: Male

Post by dennisgolfer »

Bear's Hump 1987. I agree with the descriptions that it is a very tough, vertical climb, but I thought it was very much worth the effort.

Return to “Waterton Park..”