North Cascades

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

North Cascades

Post by Jay w »

I'm floating the idea (at home) of a trip to North Cascades. This was kind of a "throw a dart at the map" kind of thing and a photo or two on the world wide web. I'm looking for a reaction like yeah, love the place or eh, it's ok, but I'd recommend southern WY instead. Looking at 2 weeks with driving.

-Looking for a good campground or three (both in ID on the way out and in WA), or even MT.

I ain't never been west of Glacier (except in the southern US. I've been to Yellowstone/Teton and the WY side of the Beartooth Pass, but I'm open to a WY trip too. I don't think we have the time to drive all the way to the OR coast or CA, but if we go to OR, there are expectations of visiting family. (Gasp, not a family trip. :) ) We made a trip to Banff/Jasper, although west of there might be interesting too.

Julie keeps pushing for east (Smokies) and I'm saying, "Go west young man."

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
indiana hiker
Gender?: Female

Re: North Cascades

Post by indiana hiker »

Visited NC two years ago. Lots of good day hiking and Mt Baker also offers some nice areas. I would love to return. Don't camp, so can't offer any help there. My vote is for NC!
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Hey Jay,
I've looked at the Cascades my self, I have maps and books, done some research. The thing that holds us back is the weather. Lots of rain. Not just afternoon storms. Days long rain. But very beautiful.
I'd look at the Sawtooths.
We had started planning that trip for this year, but got bit by the JMT bug.
Your welcome to join us there for as long as you can. We have permits and lodging all lined up, starting mid August.
IRG
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

IF you make a wrong turn and end up in the Smokies, good lodging:

Option 1
http://www.fryemontinn.com/
Rate includes breakfast and dinner in dining room (check out the menus).

Option 2
http://www.lecontelodge.com/
Probably need a reservation a year or more in advance. Return to Option 1.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I vote for you to go to Wyoming.
If you go to NC go to the Biltmore for Sunday brunch if they still do it. My ex and I loved it.
Blowing Rock is a nice area away from the "ant farm" of places like GSMNC.
My ex and I also stayed at this place in Blowing Rock 3-4 times.
http://www.azalea-garden-inn.com/
It appears to still be run my the same family. Great place in a good location to walk around Blowing Rock, a cool lil town.
Take your bikes.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

IRG, man that sounds like such a great trip. Julie says, "Oh, you can go again." Meaning I can take a vacation with her and then take another vacation. The problem with that idea is I work to make money. (I was unable to pick trust fund parents. :( )

So, one vote for Cascades, one for WY, and one for cool weather of the Smokies (cool compared to the research triangle). I think the Smokies are a good spring break trip, so I'm pushing for that. (We went to Savannah this year.) I've been to Island Lake (WY, just across the boarder) and that would leave access to Yellowstone, which Julie has never seen.

I keep thinking, head west young man, but you guys are making it hard.

Jay
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Yeah, love the place!

The scenery and hiking oportunities are at least as good as Glacier. It is at its best as a backpacking destination but there are dozens and dozens of great hikes. There are fabulous hikes around Mt. Baker, or take the boat up Lake Chelan to Stehekin and a large number of great hikes there. Or backpack in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. I could certainly go on. Colonial Creek Campground is nice and also the start of the Thundercreek trail through an old growth forest of huge trees.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

I will add that Mineral Park Campground is a nice car-camp spot for the Cascades. It is really
a Forest Service Campground, but has a trailhead for the Cascade Pass Trail, that soon enters the National Park. Before embarking to the Cascades, we actually referrred to a very old book by Mary Roberts Rinehart, "Tenting Tonight" for inspiration. I found that the trails she explored in 1918 were valid for today.

It will rain. Or, that was my recollection.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

It doesn't rain much in the summer. No more than Glacier or other parts of the Rockies. If you go in the winter, yes.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Orin and Steve, thanks for the comments. (I've been out 4th of Julyin' it.) That gives me something specific to google.

Man, we're having some nice weather in MN lately.

Jay

Return to “Other National Parks”