Banff

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Banff

Post by scott-atl »

Drove up this past Tuesday from the eastside. concerned about smoke but fortunately had beautiful mountain weather.
Last time in banff was '75. We were wet backpackers w about $30 between us. What a difference 40 years makes.
More later.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Re: Banff

Post by scott-atl »

Tuesday eve in town was crowded. Mini Manhattan. Kind of freaked but found a nice bar w some very good micro brews. Stayed in a middle grade hotel on banff ave. about $200 a night. They had a killer breakfast included that helped get us out and about . Wed morn drove over to the lake Louise area. Did the Eiffel lake, valley of the ten peaks hike out of moraine lake. Got there about 930. Big lot almost full. Wonderful walk. Group of 4 minimum required. Got lucky and met a great couple from Utah so we were legal. Seems like most folks visiting there stay pretty close to the parking lots. Longer Trails were wide open.

Wed eve back in banff was not crowded. The planners have done well w banff. Very well done tourist town. There are probably 10 good 'outfitter' shops w great gear and hiking stuff. Patagonia, north face, helly Hansen etc. Most folks around town are wearing expensive hiking clothes.
I enjoy looking at the latest stuff, although tempted I only bought food and beer. (Ice cream is food)
Hiked sulfur mtn Thursday morning. Overlooks town. 2500 ft in 3.5 miles. The real deal. Snowing sideways when we topped out. Great indoor facility w cafeteria to hang out in. The weather cleared and we had fantastic views. Great boardwalk on top. Fortunately there was a gondola to ride down. 19.95 each way. Self toured the banff springs hotel. Incredible place. $450 per night . Worth it.
Thursday eve in town was not crowded, laid back. Drove back to the eastside Friday in the rain. 4 hours driving time. Easy trip. Would recommend it. 'We' is my wife and I. From Atlanta. Came out this way together in 1975. We were wet camping most of the trip. married in 76.
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by joybird »

I've been away and am only now really catching up on the Chat activity I missed. How fun to be able to go back to Banff with your wife 40 years later and see it from such a different perspective!

I'm curious: when you mention that you needed to hike in groups of four, was that everywhere in Banff? Or just on that one hike? And is that always the case, or was the trail posted for bear or something that triggered that requirement?
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by July Guy »

Up there, they have a "middle step".

In Glacier they post, or close trails for bears, while Parks Canada has a "restricted activity" step, which follows:

RESTRICTIONS:
1. Hikers must be in tight groups of 4 or more adults.
2. Groups must carry bear spray at all times.
3. Minimum of 2 horse riders.
4. Dogs are not permitted.

So before closing a trail b/c of bears, they will put these restrictions in place. I've been on a couple hikes like that, and it really makes sense to me.

JG
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
smahurin
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by smahurin »

Sounds like you had a cool trip!

This will sound blasphemous as a glacier park lover since GNP is my favorite place in the world... but my wife and I did the sentinel pass hike out of moraine lake and its probably both of ours favorite day hike ever. That place is just otherworldly. So I'm glad you got to go! We really got to get back up there again soon.

Return to “Other National Parks”