Freezer Bag Cooking

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jen

Freezer Bag Cooking

Post by Jen »

My past few trips I have been using the freezer bag method for backcountry meals. I think it is lighter weight and less bulky than Mountain House or other brands. Plus, I get the added bonus of knowing EXACTLY what goes into each meal.

Last year the whole family did a few nights in the cloud peak wilderness and here are just a few of the favorites from that trip:

Carter Notch Coleslaw

From Lipsmackin’ Vegetarian Backpackin’
Total weight: 7 ounces
Weight per serving: about 2 ounces
Total servings: 4
Ingredients:

At home:

1⁄2 cup lemon juice
1 cup vinegar
11⁄2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 (16-ounce) bag fresh coleslaw vegetable mix
1 carrot, shredded
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
Optional:

1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
Preparation at Home:

Heat liquids, sugar, and spices, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Immediately remove from heat once the syrupy mixture reaches boiling. Combine the shredded vegetables in a heavy-duty plastic bag or bowl and cover with the hot syrup. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 8 hours, mixing at least once during the period. Drain, then spread the vegetable mixture thinly and evenly onto parchment-lined dehydrator trays. Dry, breaking up any lumps partway through the drying process. When ready, distribute the slaw mixture evenly between 4 ziplock quart-size freezer bags (about 2⁄3 cup each).

Preparation on the Trail:

2⁄3 cup water per serving
To make 1 serving, add 2⁄3 cup of water to 1 bag of slaw. Allow to rehydrate for at least 30 minutes.

Option: Add the contents of a fast-food packet of vinegar for additional tang.

Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients
4 oz cooked and dehydrated pasta
1⁄2 c cooked and dehydrated hamburger or 'beef' tvp
1⁄4 c crumbled dried mushrooms
2 T diced dried onion
2 T dry milk
1 T flour
1 T tomato powder
1 t low sodium beef bouillon
1 t butter powder (butter buds)
1 pinch ground black pepper
Instructions
At home pack everything in a quart freezer bag.
Cover with near boiling water, stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes.

Double Oreo Pudding
Ingredients
4 1⁄5 oz package jell-o oreo cookies 'n creme instant pudding
2⁄3 c dry milk
8 oz package mini oreo cookies
Instructions
At home:
Pack the pudding mix and dry milk in a quart freezer bag. Carry the cookies in their packaging. Also take new snack size bags for everyone's portion (it will serve 2 to 4 depending on appetite).
In camp:
Add 2 cups cold water to the pudding bag, seal tightly and shake for 5 minutes. Stash in a cold stream or snowbank for 30 minutes. Stir up and divide between the bags. Top liberally with mini cookies.

You can find tons more recipes and how-tos at Trailcooking.com
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Freezer Bag Cooking

Post by joybird »

Jen,

Do you "cook" your freezer bag meals in a bag, or do you rehydrate them in your pot? If you use bags, what kind do you use?

Also, how long does it take to dehydrate the cooked pasta? And to rehydrate it? I make a lot of my camping meals using home-dried vegetables with couscous as the pasta since it does fine with just pouring boiling water on it and letting it sit vs having to "cook" it in a pot.
Jen

Post by Jen »

joybird wrote:Jen,

Do you "cook" your freezer bag meals in a bag, or do you rehydrate them in your pot? If you use bags, what kind do you use?

Also, how long does it take to dehydrate the cooked pasta? And to rehydrate it? I make a lot of my camping meals using home-dried vegetables with couscous as the pasta since it does fine with just pouring boiling water on it and letting it sit vs having to "cook" it in a pot.
I rehydrate in the zip lock using a "cozy".(http://www.trailcooking.com/store/fbc-cozies/) but a knit hat can work too it just might not be as efficient. I use the name brand zip lock bags vs generic. They seem to be sturdier. I prefer not to do dishes in the backcountry so this method is perfect for me.

The pasta takes 8-12 hours at 135 degrees to dehydrate. I have a 12 tray LEM. It takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes to rehydrate in the freezer bag.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by teapot57 »

I like this recipe for Beans and Rice (with Fritos and cheese) and it can easily be made in the bag. Someone in the comments recommends using a little less water (10 oz instead of 12 oz) for freezer bag prep.

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpackin ... os-cheese/
Jen

Post by Jen »

That sounds tasty! I am going to have to test it out!!!

Return to “Favorite backpacking recipes and food for the Trail”